Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gannon Basketball πŸ€

I have inadvertently and unintentionally said more in an iup thread about Gannon than any for Gannon, and at this point, there's plenty to say about both squads.

Women's wise, I first want to say how it's depressing how few Cal fans are around anymore here. They will always scare me, I think Strom always has her team well prepared, she knows Cleve and his weaknesses perhaps better than he does!

Women seem to be in a bit of a slump the last few weeks. It's a rough schedule plus back to classes and illnesses, but yikes some unfortunate shooting of late, primarily at Clarion and SRU. I'm guessing it's a bit of the lag after a rough stretch of Cal, Boro, IUP, but it either means the worst in the west is infinitely better than the East, or we're not playing great basketball. Hate that there's no coaches show anymore.

As mentioned elsewhere, the team is much younger than folks realize. Other than Pirosko, Nation, Harris, we're starting freshmen and sophomores, and Nation averaged fewer than 10min until now and Harris is a JUCO transfer. I think that youth is coming to play a bit right now. And the doldrums of Erie winter, losing your home gym for a year. Lots to say to that end.

On the men's side? Pleased beyond words. I'm caring for this basketball team like I haven't since around 2013 season. It's refreshing and sad πŸ˜‚. A few things I've observed is how impressed I've been with some adjustments from Fee the last two weeks. He's pulling strings like a seasoned pro. It's wild to think about how much more change is still to come next year!

No one here discussed or probably knew, but Gannons Tipton (how had the tip in to tie them at the Rock on Wednesday) scored his 2000 overall career point in Clarion, between his 1700+ points at Geneva (2x poty in the PAC). Sure hope his brother, who leads D3 in 3fg% is looking for an MBA too! Lol

Its been interesting to watch a VERY new to each other team go thru some adversity the last month and make adjustments, particularly when you remember these kids are 18-23. Id love to see a rematch between ESU or Millersville and I sure af hope we do in the PSAC tourney. I think it's not unreasonable to think it'll be ESU v Gannon in the semis. How good is March hoops!

Originally posted by TheMadLibs View Post
    I have inadvertently and unintentionally said more in an iup thread about Gannon than any for Gannon, and at this point, there's plenty to say about both squads.

Women's wise, I first want to say how it's depressing how few Cal fans are around anymore here. They will always scare me, I think Strom always has her team well prepared, she knows Cleve and his weaknesses perhaps better than he does!

Women seem to be in a bit of a slump the last few weeks. It's a rough schedule plus back to classes and illnesses, but yikes some unfortunate shooting of late, primarily at Clarion and SRU. I'm guessing it's a bit of the lag after a rough stretch of Cal, Boro, IUP, but it either means the worst in the west is infinitely better than the East, or we're not playing great basketball. Hate that there's no coaches show anymore.

As mentioned elsewhere, the team is much younger than folks realize. Other than Pirosko, Nation, Harris, we're starting freshmen and sophomores, and Nation averaged fewer than 10min until now and Harris is a JUCO transfer. I think that youth is coming to play a bit right now. And the doldrums of Erie winter, losing your home gym for a year. Lots to say to that end.

On the men's side? Pleased beyond words. I'm caring for this basketball team like I haven't since around 2013 season. It's refreshing and sad πŸ˜‚. A few things I've observed is how impressed I've been with some adjustments from Fee the last two weeks. He's pulling strings like a seasoned pro. It's wild to think about how much more change is still to come next year!

No one here discussed or probably knew, but Gannons Tipton (how had the tip in to tie them at the Rock on Wednesday) scored his 2000 overall career point in Clarion, between his 1700+ points at Geneva (2x poty in the PAC). Sure hope his brother, who leads D3 in 3fg% is looking for an MBA too! Lol

Its been interesting to watch a VERY new to each other team go thru some adversity the last month and make adjustments, particularly when you remember these kids are 18-23. Id love to see a rematch between ESU or Millersville and I sure af hope we do in the PSAC tourney. I think it's not unreasonable to think it'll be ESU v Gannon in the semis. How good is March hoops!
    Along the same lines, I was really impressed with what I observed from Coach Fee in the most recent Slippery Rock game. Obviously, it is always nice when your team comes away with the "W" but there were other positives seen at the end of that game. What I saw at the end of second half and the overtime from Coach Fee was a sense of organization, control of his team, and an overall strategy. These are elements that had not been seen in critical times over the past couple of seasons. Quite the opposite!

Do I think this Gannon team is as good as their record? Probably not as rebounding and cold shooting could easily do them in on a given night. But I am beginning to have faith that the program is in good hands with Coach Fee as I was skeptical of the hot start . The bubble may still burst, but it will not be a result of a unprepared squad or just bad coaching.

Comment

Originally posted by gman16506 View Post

Along the same lines, I was really impressed with what I observed from Coach Fee in the most recent Slippery Rock game. Obviously, it is always nice when your team comes away with the "W" but there were other positives seen at the end of that game. What I saw at the end of second half and the overtime from Coach Fee was a sense of organization, control of his team, and an overall strategy. These are elements that had not been seen in critical times over the past couple of seasons. Quite the opposite!

Do I think this Gannon team is as good as their record? Probably not as rebounding and cold shooting could easily do them in on a given night. But I am beginning to have faith that the program is in good hands with Coach Fee as I was skeptical of the hot start . The bubble may still burst, but it will not be a result of a unprepared squad or just bad coaching.
      The program is in very good hands now. My only fear (if I was a GU fan) would be keeping him there beyond this season. Flipping a doormat 3-23 team to what will likely be a deep NCAA run is pretty remarkable. Add to it his young age and he's going to be very attractive to many this off-season. He's very well-spoken and fits the part. I think he will certainly be on the radar of some low-D1 jobs come April when the coaching carousel hits full steam. Gannon is going to need to waive some cash at him in hopes to retain him.

Fee did exceptionally well finding the right grad transfers. They were older guys who have proven to be very productive and coachable. And, as much as Kelvin Jefferson turned out to be a bust, he did recruit Josh Omojafo (likely PSAC Player of the Year). It's worked out very well.

Omojafo will also be interesting. Will he follow the recent trend of PSAC star sophomores and leave for D1 after this season?

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

The program is in very good hands now. My only fear (if I was a GU fan) would be keeping him there beyond this season. Flipping a doormat 3-23 team to what will likely be a deep NCAA run is pretty remarkable. Add to it his young age and he's going to be very attractive to many this off-season. He's very well-spoken and fits the part. I think he will certainly be on the radar of some low-D1 jobs come April when the coaching carousel hits full steam. Gannon is going to need to waive some cash at him in hopes to retain him.

Fee did exceptionally well finding the right grad transfers. They were older guys who have proven to be very productive and coachable. And, as much as Kelvin Jefferson turned out to be a bust, he did recruit Josh Omojafo (likely PSAC Player of the Year). It's worked out very well.

Omojafo will also be interesting. Will he follow the recent trend of PSAC star sophomores and leave for D1 after this season?
        Agreed all around. My main hopes on Fee are knowing he's from the region himself, is enjoying those ties and being closer to home (he was a kid in Erie even). I've seen him reference loving being in a small city where people know you. Does he get that in Pittsburgh at RMU St. Bonaventure?

Is competing for national championships at Gannon more appealing than a small D1 school? I think to Fee it is. He's had the taste and the dangle before. His father had longevity at a small HS where he had success and I guess Gannon fans need to hold onto hope that he does the same at least for a few years. The other element is his lead assistant is also from in region (Seneca Valley HS).

Do I think this is a 2 or 3 loss team at end of regular season? Nope πŸ˜‚ I think they'll get a boot in the pants at least 1x, but their difficult schedule in conference in the West seems to be reeping rewards.

I'm hopeful Omojafo doesn't. He's got a mentor who speaks highly of the benefit of competing at a high level in small college and not viewing D1 as the only prize. Hoping those words are sticking. If there's a coach to supplement that mentality it's Fee. Plus being Canadian, I'm not sure what additional challenges may present in transfer portal that wouldn't for US kids? Any idea?

Comment

Originally posted by gman16506 View Post

Totally with you. I thought the so-called gimmick would be quickly deflated by January. It was the ESU and Lincoln wins that made me step back and assess my dismissiveness. We still are getting exploited when shooting goes cold, but Clarion and SRU showed a resilience absent in the Cal and Millersville games and renewed or grew my trust a bit. Excited to see us hosting Hurst, on the road against IUP and hosting Cal.

Comment

You are quite right that the possibility of Coach Fee leaving for a lower D-1 job is certainly there. What I would suggest is that Fee walk down the hall and talk to Cleve Wright about the jump to Division One.......... a whole different ballgame. But, you are right that money talks!

Comment

If you want a peak into Fee's path, reason for coming to Erie and current connection here, and coaching strategy, check out his interview around minute 26 and a great conversation for about 10 minutes. Was recorded last Monday.

For anyone in Erie, these guys are doing some great work generally. Live show is Monday night.
              https://open.spotify.com/episode/3HI...TMS27rYMsxpUdA

Comment

Agreed all around. My main hopes on Fee are knowing he's from the region himself, is enjoying those ties and being closer to home (he was a kid in Erie even). I've seen him reference loving being in a small city where people know you. Does he get that in Pittsburgh at RMU St. Bonaventure?

Is competing for national championships at Gannon more appealing than a small D1 school? I think to Fee it is. He's had the taste and the dangle before. His father had longevity at a small HS where he had success and I guess Gannon fans need to hold onto hope that he does the same at least for a few years. The other element is his lead assistant is also from in region (Seneca Valley HS).

Do I think this is a 2 or 3 loss team at end of regular season? Nope πŸ˜‚ I think they'll get a boot in the pants at least 1x, but their difficult schedule in conference in the West seems to be reeping rewards.

I'm hopeful Omojafo doesn't. He's got a mentor who speaks highly of the benefit of competing at a high level in small college and not viewing D1 as the only prize. Hoping those words are sticking. If there's a coach to supplement that mentality it's Fee. Plus being Canadian, I'm not sure what additional challenges may present in transfer portal that wouldn't for US kids? Any idea?
                Fee has zero percent chance of getting the St. Bonaventure job (don't think it's opening anytime soon, Schmidt has about as much job security as any Division I coach could ever have).

Robert Morris, probably the same. An NEC/MAAC level job is more realistic, but it's very difficult to get any good coaching job, much less jump from Division II to Division I with one year of HC experience. If he's smart, he'll stay at Gannon and exploit the resource advantage (which the style of play helps magnify) and run up a great record like Howlett and Crutchfield. Then he might be able to make a move in a couple years to a LM job like Calhoun did.

I think he's better at getting his name out there then Howlett, but if Howlett hasn't gotten any traction for Division I jobs I don't see why Fee would be more qualified. The only argument you can make is that he flipped Gannon in one offseason, which is an important trait in today's climate.

Based on what people who know more than me have said, the reality is Gannon is a Top 25 job in the country. You should be at/near the top of the league nearly every season- I think it's a significantly better job than West Liberty and I think the argument can be made it's better than IUP. He's young and has time on his side- I'd be surprised if he left what is a really good situation quickly. The other thing is with how much of a disaster the prior 4-5 years were combined with Hurst's run, the AD is already in a position where she needs to keep this thing going- unless she's an idiot, she won't be screwing with things the way she did at the end of Reilly's tenure (from what people have told me).

Comment

Originally posted by IUPHawks24 View Post

Fee has zero percent chance of getting the St. Bonaventure job (don't think it's opening anytime soon, Schmidt has about as much job security as any Division I coach could ever have).

Robert Morris, probably the same. An NEC/MAAC level job is more realistic, but it's very difficult to get any good coaching job, much less jump from Division II to Division I with one year of HC experience. If he's smart, he'll stay at Gannon and exploit the resource advantage (which the style of play helps magnify) and run up a great record like Howlett and Crutchfield. Then he might be able to make a move in a couple years to a LM job like Calhoun did.

I think he's better at getting his name out there then Howlett, but if Howlett hasn't gotten any traction for Division I jobs I don't see why Fee would be more qualified. The only argument you can make is that he flipped Gannon in one offseason, which is an important trait in today's climate.

Based on what people who know more than me have said, the reality is Gannon is a Top 25 job in the country. You should be at/near the top of the league nearly every season- I think it's a significantly better job than West Liberty and I think the argument can be made it's better than IUP. He's young and has time on his side- I'd be surprised if he left what is a really good situation quickly. The other thing is with how much of a disaster the prior 4-5 years were combined with Hurst's run, the AD is already in a position where she needs to keep this thing going- unless she's an idiot, she won't be screwing with things the way she did at the end of Reilly's tenure (from what people have told me).
                  The main knock on the GU job has always been the pay. I think Jefferson was still making less than $100k last year (in Year 5). That only leaked because of the lawsuit. Unlike the PSAC publics, they can keep that info private. That's not a whole lot of money today. Lombardi was making about double with a great facility.

Fixing up the Mill will certainly help. I'd assume it will have a Clarion vibe after they are done. Aside from tearing it down, there's only so much that can be done. I do think Clarion's renovation turned out fantastic but it certainly still has a 'gym' vibe rather than an arena -- granted, a fancy gym.

Howlett has baffled me. WL is a great D2 gig. I'm just shocked some school hasn't come in and took him away. I think that system could be very effective at a low major or in the Ivy League.

Fee's timing was great with IUP and Mercyhurst way down this year. Manchel may lose his mind Wednesday. Lombardi is in the twilight.

I don't agree some low majors wouldn't hire him based on just one year. It is very hard to get those jobs but he's going to be hot.
                  Last edited by IUPbigINDIANS; 01-22-2024, 05:59 PM.

Comment

The look and feel of the gym is pretty iconic, especially if you watched games in the 70s, 80s, and 90s in the Mill. The biggest issues are lighting, locker rooms, A/V, and concessions.

FINALLY found some images and the white is making me want to puke. Yikes. Guess I should be glad I'm not an alum πŸ˜‚ https://www.yourerie.com/news/local-...vations-begin/
                    Last edited by TheMadLibs; 01-22-2024, 09:56 PM. Reason: Found media video on renos with images

Comment

The main knock on the GU job has always been the pay. I think Jefferson was still making less than $100k last year (in Year 5). That only leaked because of the lawsuit. Unlike the PSAC publics, they can keep that info private. That's not a whole lot of money today. Lombardi was making about double with a great facility.

Fixing up the Mill will certainly help. I'd assume it will have a Clarion vibe after they are done. Aside from tearing it down, there's only so much that can be done. I do think Clarion's renovation turned out fantastic but it certainly still has a 'gym' vibe rather than an arena -- granted, a fancy gym.

Howlett has baffled me. WL is a great D2 gig. I'm just shocked some school hasn't come in and took him away. I think that system could be very effective at a low major or in the Ivy League.

Fee's timing was great with IUP and Mercyhurst way down this year. Manchel may lose his mind Wednesday. Lombardi is in the twilight.

I don't agree some low majors wouldn't hire him based on just one year. It is very hard to get those jobs but he's going to be hot.
                      β€œThe system” would be interesting to see at a service academy- I think that’s where it makes the most sense. You have more than 13 scholarships, so you can take some chances on recruits, and if it doesn’t pan out no problem. The players have already punted on any professional basketball aspirations, so they theoretically should be less worried about stats and minutes. You also can utilize a prep school to teach your system and prepare players for a unique style of play.

Cornell actually runs an uptempo, pressing system with a bunch of 3 point shooting- and they’re having success. It’s been a smart way to compete with Harvard/Princeton/Yale/Penn, who in theory should always have better talent.

I respect your basketball and IUP knowledge but completely disagree about Fee getting a job after one year. I think you’re underestimating how hard it is to get these jobs. Fee has no Division I experience at all other than possibly a GA job (I could be wrong on that). The four Division II guys that come to mind off the top of my head are Anderson, Schertz, Logie and Calhoun. Anderson had significant D2 and D3 HC experience and was also a D1 assistant before he got FDU. Schertz was a D1 assistant and also was at Lincoln Memorial over a decade before he got Indiana State.
                      Logie was a D1 assistant and D3 and D2 head coach before he got Montana State. Calhoun was at West Virginia as a high major assistant before Fairmont State.

Point being, these guys were much more seasoned before they got a Division I opportunity. I’ve been incredibly impressed by Fee, and I think he could do extremely well in low Division I, but I don’t think having a big year in a down PSAC moves the needle that much after one year.

Comment

β€œThe system” would be interesting to see at a service academy- I think that’s where it makes the most sense. You have more than 13 scholarships, so you can take some chances on recruits, and if it doesn’t pan out no problem. The players have already punted on any professional basketball aspirations, so they theoretically should be less worried about stats and minutes. You also can utilize a prep school to teach your system and prepare players for a unique style of play.

Cornell actually runs an uptempo, pressing system with a bunch of 3 point shooting- and they’re having success. It’s been a smart way to compete with Harvard/Princeton/Yale/Penn, who in theory should always have better talent.

I respect your basketball and IUP knowledge but completely disagree about Fee getting a job after one year. I think you’re underestimating how hard it is to get these jobs. Fee has no Division I experience at all other than possibly a GA job (I could be wrong on that). The four Division II guys that come to mind off the top of my head are Anderson, Schertz, Logie and Calhoun. Anderson had significant D2 and D3 HC experience and was also a D1 assistant before he got FDU. Schertz was a D1 assistant and also was at Lincoln Memorial over a decade before he got Indiana State.
                        Logie was a D1 assistant and D3 and D2 head coach before he got Montana State. Calhoun was at West Virginia as a high major assistant before Fairmont State.

Point being, these guys were much more seasoned before they got a Division I opportunity. I’ve been incredibly impressed by Fee, and I think he could do extremely well in low Division I, but I don’t think having a big year in a down PSAC moves the needle that much after one year.
                        Even harder to say with only 2/3rd of season in and lots of in conf to go. I will say, Fee has some D1 experience and connections regionally. He played D1 for two years at Detroit Mercy, then after transferring and playing at WLU, and grad asst one year at Clarion, was a GA at Detroit Mercy 2014-2015. He was hired immediately at NSU to help implement Crutchfields system, and as we all know, less than two years later was reunited with Jim there. It doesn't surprise me he recruits out of Ohio a bit even at NSU given his Detroit Mercy connections, as well as WLU and Western PA.

Comment

A bigger barrier to d1 job offer is risk averse ADs who are fearful that the style would not work at d1 and subsequently cost them their job.

Imho, the success of the style is based on:
                          • high bball iq and complete players - everyone is a great shooter
                          • Real time decision-making, more than set plays
                          • 5-out positionless offense
                          • Unselfish players who are willing to forego a good shot to make the pass for a great shot
                          • Players willing to only play 25 min a game and play extremely hard
                          • Advanced data analytics
                          • science of effects of mental and physical fatigue.
                          I agree that the first AD who is willing to dip his/her toe in this water is likely a military academy or Ivy League.
                          Military academy traits seem to align with type of attitude needed to play this style.

Comment

Even harder to say with only 2/3rd of season in and lots of in conf to go. I will say, Fee has some D1 experience and connections regionally. He played D1 for two years at Detroit Mercy, then after transferring and playing at WLU, and grad asst one year at Clarion, was a GA at Detroit Mercy 2014-2015. He was hired immediately at NSU to help implement Crutchfields system, and as we all know, less than two years later was reunited with Jim there. It doesn't surprise me he recruits out of Ohio a bit even at NSU given his Detroit Mercy connections, as well as WLU and Western PA.
                            I'm certainly not talking a P5 (or even a good mid-major). There are like 400 'D1' programs - many in the bottom 20 percent wouldn't even be Top 20 D2 teams.

I was thinking a Robert Morris 'type' of 'D1' ... where there is little pressure (comparatively).

Regardless, I don't think Fee will be there in a couple years. Gotta strike while it's hot. I just get the vibe he's not going to be a D2 lifer.

IF Lombardi retires this year (there is some talk) a name that certainly intrigues me is Mike Lamberti (first year at Coker). He falls in to that 'young-ish' category. That said, the IUP job would get a lot of interest due to the history, pay and resources/facilities.

Wonder how much longer Crutch coaches?
                            Last edited by IUPbigINDIANS; 01-23-2024, 06:35 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Columbuseer View Post

A bigger barrier to d1 job offer is risk averse ADs who are fearful that the style would not work at d1 and subsequently cost them their job.

Imho, the success of the style is based on:
                              • high bball iq and complete players - everyone is a great shooter
                              • Real time decision-making, more than set plays
                              • 5-out positionless offense
                              • Unselfish players who are willing to forego a good shot to make the pass for a great shot
                              • Players willing to only play 25 min a game and play extremely hard
                              • Advanced data analytics
                              • science of effects of mental and physical fatigue.
                              I agree that the first AD who is willing to dip his/her toe in this water is likely a military academy or Ivy League.
                              Military academy traits seem to align with type of attitude needed to play this style.
                              OK Ben!

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X