Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Atlantic Region - Women's

Quite a race for the 8 spots on the women's side. There are three teams certainly in the mix to host.

0-2 losses:

Gannon (25-2)
    Lock Haven (21-2)
    Fayetteville State (20-2)

3-4 losses:

Virginia State (19-4)

5-6 losses:

West Chester (19-5)
    Fairmont State (18-5)
    IUP (17-5)

7-8 losses:

California (17-7)
    Wheeling (16-7)
    Glenville State (16-7)
    Mercyhurst (15-8)
    Claflin (15-8)

At this point there's a pretty clear top four of Gannon, Fayetteville State, Fairmont State, and Lock Haven. IUP seems to be next in line, followed by Cal and West Chester. That leaves one spot and I'm not sure what I'd do with it at the moment. Charleston has head-to-heads with Wheeling and WVSU, but expand the comparison to Edinboro and Frostburg State and suddenly UC doesn't look as good. I had Wheeling in last weekend and I'm leaning towards sticking with them for now. (Of course, if Fayetteville and Fairmont don't take care of business in their conference tournaments, this becomes moot.)

One team I had in (with some trepidation) that I'd drop out now is Virginia State... their metrics are top-8 but the rest of their résumé doesn't back that up.

Comment

Originally posted by Inkblot View Post
      At this point there's a pretty clear top four of Gannon, Fayetteville State, Fairmont State, and Lock Haven. IUP seems to be next in line, followed by Cal and West Chester. That leaves one spot and I'm not sure what I'd do with it at the moment. Charleston has head-to-heads with Wheeling and WVSU, but expand the comparison to Edinboro and Frostburg State and suddenly UC doesn't look as good. I had Wheeling in last weekend and I'm leaning towards sticking with them for now. (Of course, if Fayetteville and Fairmont don't take care of business in their conference tournaments, this becomes moot.)

One team I had in (with some trepidation) that I'd drop out now is Virginia State... their metrics are top-8 but the rest of their résumé doesn't back that up.
      IUP’s win over Gannon was a big boost. A win over Cal should cement them in the top 5. I don’t believe Lock Haven is as good as their record indicates. Still some things to play out but it seems clear there will be some nail biting on selection night. There are a lot of team on the bubble.

Comment

Originally posted by Inkblot View Post

Don't be shocked if Fayetteville or VSU don't make it to the CIAA finals.

It is way too much parity in college WBB, that is what makes it so good.

Comment

Obviously total losses aren't the be-all, end-all (some play much more difficult schedules than others), but, regardless:

Women's

0-2 losses

Gannon (26-2)
          Lock Haven (22-2)
          Fayetteville State (22-2)

3-4 losses

Virginia State (20-4)

5-6 losses

West Chester (19-5)
          Fairmont State (19-5)
          IUP (18-5)

7-8 losses

California (17-7)
          Mercyhurst (16-8)
          Wheeling (16-8)
          Glenville State (16-8)
          Claflin (16-8)

9 losses

Several

Comment

It's getting pretty interesting for those last couple spots. There are some teams not listed that are good enough to wreck havoc in the conference tournaments (Edinboro, Virginia Union, etc.). Below is simply an updated list of total losses. As some have alluded, not all win/loss records are created equal. Some have played much more difficult schedules and that will be shown in the actual first (in order) ranking.

0-2

Gannon (28-2)
            Lock Haven (24-2)
            Fayetteville State (24-2)

3-4

Virginia State (22-4)

5-6

West Chester (21-5)
            Fairmont State (21-5)
            IUP (20-5)

7-8

California (19-7)
            Glenville State (18-8)

9-10

Frostburg State (17-9)
            Charleston (17-9)
            West Virginia State (17-9)
            Elizabeth City State (18-10)
            Claflin (16-10)

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
              It's getting pretty interesting for those last couple spots. There are some teams not listed that are good enough to wreck havoc in the conference tournaments (Edinboro, Virginia Union, etc.). Below is simply an updated list of total losses. As some have alluded, not all win/loss records are created equal. Some have played much more difficult schedules and that will be shown in the actual first (in order) ranking.
              I don’t think the PSAC has a reasonable chance at a Dance crasher this year. Boro is an interesting team and has plenty of talent, but they’re just too inconsistent to imagine them winning the tournament. The conference champ is going to be one of the teams that’s already going to make the NCAA Tournament. I don’t know enough about the other conferences to say the same, but I think there will be several teams with a good case for getting one of the last spots in the Dance, and I don’t know how to reasonably separate them. It’s a big group of teams hanging around that “last two in” mark right now.

Heck, if IUP loses to Cal on Wednesday and then gets knocked out of the PSAC early, they could be on the outside looking in. There’s still some work to do for these teams. I think only four of the top eight are safe with two games remaining.

Comment

Virginia State survived against Johnson C. Smith. If they beat Fayetteville State in the semis, I have a feeling they'll be in good shape to make the regional even if they lose in the final (in which case Claflin/ECSU would make it 3 CIAA teams).

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                Working...
                X