Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Way-Too-Early 2017-18 NSIC Predictions

Anyone want to start throwing out way-too-early predictions? I know recruiting classes are nowhere near finalized and we've got an entire summer to have this discussion, but no reason we can't throw thoughts out now while we're at it. If Sportscenter can basically run a 24/7 sports news cycle, we can manage to get a day or two of activity per week on here during the summer.

My way-too-early NSIC predictions:

My predicted top 3 teams are Moorhead, SMSU, and Northern, possibly in that order, depending on what shakes out with Moorhead's recruiting class. Would like to see Augie crack that 4 or 5 spot in the conference standings, but we'll need some big men to step up in a big way to make that happen. Also imagine MSU, even Witthus-less, will have enough athletes to be contenders. And then, of course, there's Upper Iowa possibly looking to repeat or improve upon their success from this past season.

Just my thoughts for now. The conference could see 15 incoming transfers between now and the season kicking off next year and my thoughts might change entirely. But I feel pretty safe in my Moorhead/SMSU/Northern prediction at this point.

Re: Way-Too-Early 2017-18 NSIC Predictions

Glad you got this going, I can't wait for it to begin. (Yeah, I'm that sad)

I said it before, and I'll say it again...Northern will have a year for the ages. Now, this is near as dramatic as I'm (for the most part) too passive yo really get fired up all year about this. Bit, if there is a year for NSU to have a GREAT year and contend yo host the region, this is it. It may not happen, I get that, and NWMSU isn't getting worse. The trouble with my call is I don't know if the MIAA will give the Bearcats enough trouble. I know NSU will get challenged, I don't see us as like far and away better. I'm looking forward to all the big men back, and Peterka and Smith. I don't know if either Kallman or Fox will play next year, but I have a good feeling Kallman will in two years while Parker makes an impact in the middle of the year. Big difference maker is going to be Jonny Dahl and if he becomes the player we hoped or if he shows us what we saw last year which was just awful.

I've got a feeling you could see a guard transfer in or JUCO, but nothing solid yet.

Comment

Originally posted by MrAugustana View Post
      Anyone want to start throwing out way-too-early predictions? I know recruiting classes are nowhere near finalized and we've got an entire summer to have this discussion, but no reason we can't throw thoughts out now while we're at it. If Sportscenter can basically run a 24/7 sports news cycle, we can manage to get a day or two of activity per week on here during the summer.

My way-too-early NSIC predictions:

My predicted top 3 teams are Moorhead, SMSU, and Northern, possibly in that order, depending on what shakes out with Moorhead's recruiting class. Would like to see Augie crack that 4 or 5 spot in the conference standings, but we'll need some big men to step up in a big way to make that happen. Also imagine MSU, even Witthus-less, will have enough athletes to be contenders. And then, of course, there's Upper Iowa possibly looking to repeat or improve upon their success from this past season.

Just my thoughts for now. The conference could see 15 incoming transfers between now and the season kicking off next year and my thoughts might change entirely. But I feel pretty safe in my Moorhead/SMSU/Northern prediction at this point.
      Like Augie, SMSU will have major holes to fill on the interior, but now is a better time to have holes in the post as opposed to 5-10 years ago. Maybe we can overcome them. It certainly is nice to have a Ryan Bruggeman on the roster though!

I'll have to take a better look at the rosters around the league and who's returning. Initially, I think having one of the better players in the league going into his junior year should help SCSU make a jump in the North. But again, I need to take a longer look at the NSIC landscape.

Regionally, I think it could be a tough year.

Comment

I'll add my .02, WSU continues to slide and may not end up winning 10 games

Comment

Originally posted by WSUDieHard View Post
          I'll add my .02, WSU continues to slide and may not end up winning 10 games
          10 sounds to be a good number. Sad thing they think having that senior class gone is going to help them out. They won't have as talented as a class again for some time. Lots of money to give out this coming year too if my numbers are correct. I would guess some JuCo kids might be showing up because I don't think a D1 transfer is going to think WSU is a very attractive location to play ball at the moment.

Comment

Originally posted by fanofnsic View Post
            10 sounds to be a good number. Sad thing they think having that senior class gone is going to help them out. They won't have as talented as a class again for some time. Lots of money to give out this coming year too if my numbers are correct. I would guess some JuCo kids might be showing up because I don't think a D1 transfer is going to think WSU is a very attractive location to play ball at the moment.
            Right now I would say they have four decent starters in Jeffs, Koontz, Flack and Gathje. That isn't star studded but decent. These are really the only proven commodities on the whole team. After that who knows? I don't see a decent point guard from anyone who was on the active roster last year. Neither Domask or Wagner have impressed me at all. Not convinced either one of them should be playing at this level. Maybe one of the incoming freshman will get the point job. Depth is extremely suspect. Unless there is some talent with unseen actors this team is as thin as gruel.

I see maybe 5 to 7 wins in conference, with 7 being optimistic, plus three or four mid to low level DIII wins in pre-conference. Those shouldn't even count. I expect only three or four teams in the whole conference; maybe one or two in the South that should be expected to be worse than us. It is stunning how far the mighty have fallen in short orderr. If things aren't better in a year or two some heads better roll.

Comment

Here's the current roster breakdown for SMSU

Returning Starters
              G Ryan Bruggeman, Jr. - 15.5 ppg
              G KJ Davis, Sr. - 9.5 ppg
              G Turner Moen, Sr. - 6.3 ppg
              F Michael Lee, Jr. - 6.8 ppg
              C Carter Kirk, Sr. - 10.2 ppg

Returning Rotation Pieces
              G Taylor Schafer, Jr. - 11.3 ppg

In Contention for Minutes
              G Nick Dufault, RFr. - Redshirted in 2016-17
              G Vydal Bradford, RFr. - Redshirted in 2016-17
              F Jake Maiers, Jr. - Did not play in 2016-17
              F Kolin Bartlett, Jr. - Played 2 games in 2016-17
              F Braedan Hanson, RFr. - Redshirted in 2016-17
              F Grant Kramer, Fr. - Averaged 9.9 ppg, 4.6 rpg at Johnston HS (IA)

Comment

Originally posted by Stanger86 View Post
                Here's the current roster breakdown for SMSU

Returning Starters
                G Ryan Bruggeman, Jr. - 15.5 ppg
                G KJ Davis, Sr. - 9.5 ppg
                G Turner Moen, Sr. - 6.3 ppg
                F Michael Lee, Jr. - 6.8 ppg
                C Carter Kirk, Sr. - 10.2 ppg

G Taylor Schafer, Jr. - 11.3 ppg

G Nick Dufault, RFr. - Redshirted in 2016-17
                G Vydal Bradford, RFr. - Redshirted in 2016-17
                F Jake Maiers, Jr. - Did not play in 2016-17
                F Kolin Bartlett, Jr. - Played 2 games in 2016-17
                F Braedan Hanson, RFr. - Redshirted in 2016-17
                F Grant Kramer, Fr. - Averaged 9.9 ppg, 4.6 rpg at Johnston HS (IA)
                Unlikely Bartlett and Maiers ever see meaningful minutes, but I could be wrong.

I also think we have a stud coming from Kansas City who is a wing type player. good chance he doesn't redshirt, but hard to know for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by MrMustang View Post
                  Unlikely Bartlett and Maiers ever see meaningful minutes, but I could be wrong.

I also think we have a stud coming from Kansas City who is a wing type player. good chance he doesn't redshirt, but hard to know for sure.
                  Who is that?

Comment

Originally posted by Brandon View Post
                    Who is that?
                    I will try and find out the name. It is a verbal commit and I heard it somehwere months ago, I believe on Twitter, not the SMS Twitter but was retweeted by someone. Can't remember his name. Maybe Stanger knows.

Comment

Originally posted by Brandon View Post
                      Who is that?
                      Looks like it's Kenny Byers of Olathe North

http://www.kansascity.com/sports/hig...144401039.html

Comment

Dragons lineup should look something like this.

First Group,
                        1.Tanner Kretchman, 6'0 SR. - 16.7 ppg
                        2. Evan Hines, 6'3 Soph. - 4ppg
                        3.Cody Cox, 6'6 Jr. Iowa Lakes CC - 14ppg
                        4. Matt Anderson, 6'7 Rs Soph. 8ppg
                        5. Addison Park, 6'8 Jr - 7ppg

Bench,
                        1. Johnny Beeninga, 6'1 Soph. 4.5ppg
                        2. A.J. Nywesh, 6'3 RS JR. UT Martin transfer to Lake Region St 21ppg
                        3.Briton Bussman, 6'4 Jr. 1.3ppg
                        4. Joe Sevlie , 6'8 RSF
                        5. Jake Johnson, 6'8 Jr.Northern St/NDSCS transfer.

I believe all 4 incoming Freshman will redshirt expect maybe Baumgartner.

Incoming Freshman,
                        3/4- Gavin Baumgartner, 6'4. Wayzata, Mn. 16ppg

1- Bryce Irsfeld, 6'0. Browerville, Mn.

2/3 - Siman Sem, 6'4. Fargo, ND. 22ppg

5 - Jesse Bergh, 6-10. Audubon, Mn. 23ppg.

Cody Dorow and Chris Olson have left the program from I have heard.

Comment

Originally posted by Stanger86 View Post
                          Looks like it's Kenny Byers of Olathe North

http://www.kansascity.com/sports/hig...144401039.html
                          sounds right

Comment

A little downtime and the boards are at least showing small signs of life, so I figured I'd copy and paste Stanger86's earlier post in this thread to use as a template and throw together the lineup situation for the Vikes next year:

Returning Starters
                            G Jordan Spencer, Sr. - 15.9 ppg, 7.3 apg
                            G John Warren, Jr. - 9.9 ppg

G Steven Schaefer, Sr. - 8.0 ppg (56% 3-point shooter, which is ridiculous)
                            F Marcus Asmus, Sr. - 6.2 ppg

G Levi Jansen, So. - 2.7 ppg (injured most of the season and only played 11 games...I believe he had some surgeries this offseason to correct the issue)
                            F Andy Kerkman, So. - Big ol' boy. Hope he spent the summer polishing his rough edges. Could be a beast in the future.
                            F Bodey Behrends, R-Fr. - I've heard tons of good things about this kid. He's skinny, but it sounds like he plays hard and has nice touch around the basket. Hope he's ready to contribute.
                            F Adam Dykman, So. - transfer from SDSU; I'd imagine a potential starter based on his high school numbers and accomplishments
                            G Matt Cartwright, Fr. - Several SD Player of the Year awards and accolades (which means nothing to simple as a $3 bill, but whatever); potential to play right away, especially with our limited number of returners
                            G Tayt Vincent, Fr. - I know he's had injuries in the past, but he seemed healthy throughout his senior year this season, so maybe he'll be ready to go right away. Really not sure.
                            G Jameson Bryan, Fr. - Don't know much about him, but he's another guard that could possibly be ready (or, based on numbers, needed).

Biggest area of concern right now is the inside game. Definitely hoping Asmus elevates his game a level and Dykman can plug in right away as an impact player in the post. Should make the Northern/Augie matchup fun this year when he and Doyle go head-to-head. If Schaefer can consistently be that 3rd guard we need, it could end up being a more-dynamic-than-expected backcourt, but I'm not going to get too excited yet. Would love for several of the young guys (Behrends, Cartwright, etc.) to be ready right away. That will make a huge difference.
                            Last edited by MrAugustana; 06-01-2017, 10:21 AM.

Comment

Anyone have any news or updates on their teams? I'm hearing very encouraging things about the incoming talent on the Augie side, but nothing too specific yet. And, at this point, not anything that will get the Apostle of Apprehension out of his comfort zone with outlandish predictions.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X