Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where have all the NSIC big men gone?

For about a decade, we had a stretch where the interior was dominated by the big man. Going back to the days of John Smith, through the likes of Matt Schneck, Clayton Vette, Assem Marei and most recently Dan Jansen, there have always been a crop of good big men anchoring a number of the top teams in the Northern Sun.

Until now.

Looking up and down the rosters, I fail to see post players who are on that level. The closest right now would probably be Logan Doyle and Carter Kirk, but I certainly wouldn't put them in a category with those players. And they're both entering their senior seasons, so what's the future once they graduate?

The league's most talented player is a wing (Davis). After him is probably a trio of point guards (Bruggeman, Spencer, Kretchman). Where do the bigs slot in?

Re: Where have all the NSIC big men gone?

Originally posted by Stanger86 View Post
    For about a decade, we had a stretch where the interior was dominated by the big man. Going back to the days of John Smith, through the likes of Matt Schneck, Clayton Vette, Assem Marei and most recently Dan Jansen, there have always been a crop of good big men anchoring a number of the top teams in the Northern Sun.

Until now.

Looking up and down the rosters, I fail to see post players who are on that level. The closest right now would probably be Logan Doyle and Carter Kirk...
    I would include Seville from Moorhead from a couple years ago. But your overall point is correct.

I think it's an issue with basketball at virtually all levels. As the three point line and ball screen basketball has become the norm, the big man's role has been greatly reduced. So I'm not sure if the talent is no longer there or if the game has changed so much. I'm also not sure the three point revolution is so great for the game (Greg popovich echo that a few years ago) in the long-run. My friend (who is a old "big man") is arguing to change the rules making a three pointer worth 4, a two pointer worth 3, and a ft worth 2. I won't hold my breath, but interesting concept...

Getting back to NSIC, the Concordia St. Paul big has a chance to be something. Also keep an eye on Bergh at Moorhead. He also has the chance to be a legit big in a few years.

Comment

Originally posted by Moorhead123 View Post
      I would include Seville from Moorhead from a couple years ago. But your overall point is correct.

I think it's an issue with basketball at virtually all levels. As the three point line and ball screen basketball has become the norm, the big man's role has been greatly reduced. So I'm not sure if the talent is no longer there or if the game has changed so much. I'm also not sure the three point revolution is so great for the game (Greg popovich echo that a few years ago) in the long-run. My friend (who is a old "big man") is arguing to change the rules making a three pointer worth 4, a two pointer worth 3, and a ft worth 2. I won't hold my breath, but interesting concept...

Getting back to NSIC, the Concordia St. Paul big has a chance to be something. Also keep an eye on Bergh at Moorhead. He also has the chance to be a legit big in a few years.
      I agree that Brown at Concordia has a shot to be really good. Winona went after him hard and whiffed. Too bad. I know nothing about Bergh. I think some of this again is the expansion of low level D1's locally. They are going to chase anyone tall with a chance and almost all kids bite for the rush of a D1's scholarship.

Comment

Originally posted by DapperDan View Post
        I think some of this again is the expansion of low level D1's locally. They are going to chase anyone tall with a chance and almost all kids bite for the rush of a D1's scholarship.
        True...but also one reason there seems to be record number of transfers each year as well.

Comment

I remember the Brazilian, Atila Santos. He and Nelson were pretty decent big men for MSU.

Comment

Originally posted by laker View Post
            I remember the Brazilian, Atila Santos. He and Nelson were pretty decent big men for MSU.
            I knew there was a big man from Mankato I wasn't remembering, but Santos played his entire MSU career in the NCC. I would probably throw Nelson on this list though.

Comment

From what I've seen at this point, these guys (Sevlie, Brown, Bergh) would fall in the category more with players like DeMasi, Smith and VanKlompenburg for SMSU, Alex Novak for MSUM, Brett Ervin for UMD, Aaron Busack and Robert Thomas for NSU, etc.

But again, most of those guys weren't the best (and sometimes not the second-best) big in the NSIC while they played. That's the drop-off in bigs that I'm seeing. Maybe it is the change in how the game is played, maybe it's because the Dakota schools are taking the best options, I don't know.

Over the years, where would guys like Tyler Flack and Trevor Gruis (USD), Ian Theisen and Jordan Dykstra (SDSU), Dexter Werner and Marshall Bjorklund (NDSU) have been, assuming the Dakota schools were all still D2? Would the NSIC get some of them? If so, where would they rank among these lists?
              Last edited by Stanger86; 06-20-2017, 12:12 AM.

Comment

Over the years, where would guys like Tyler Flack and Trevor Gruis (USD), Ian Theisen and Jordan Dykstra (SDSU), Dexter Werner and Marshall Bjorklund (NDSU) have been, assuming the Dakota schools were all still D2? Would the NSIC get some of them? If so, where would they rank among these lists?
                My guess is that this list of guys would definitely fall in the category with some of the top big men in NSIC. But the fact that Werner, Flack, etc. are listed as bigs when they are 6'6" shows how game has changed. There is an argument that a true great big man should be a rim protector in addition to a low post scoring threat, etc. That may be the main difference between being a true D1 big or not.

Bergh is an incoming freshman. 6'10" and still certainly raw, but has the size, touch and shot blocking potential to be very good NSIC big in a couple years.

Comment

I like the thought process but, there is one problem with it, and its kind of a big one.
                  If those schools were still Division II, the NSIC as we know it today wouldn't exist cuz the NCC would still be around.

Comment

From what I've seen at this point, these guys (Sevlie, Brown, Bergh) would fall in the category more with players like DeMasi, Smith and VanKlompenburg for SMSU, Alex Novak for MSUM, Brett Ervin for UMD, Aaron Busack and Robert Thomas for NSU, etc.

But again, most of those guys weren't the best (and sometimes not the second-best) big in the NSIC while they played. That's the drop-off in bigs that I'm seeing. Maybe it is the change in how the game is played, maybe it's because the Dakota schools are taking the best options, I don't know.

Still amazing to me that people thought of Rob Thomas with such high regard.

Comment

Bergh is an incoming freshman. 6'10" and still certainly raw, but has the size, touch and shot blocking potential to be very good NSIC big in a couple years.
                      I saw him play in the high school all-star game and I really thought that he was a good get for Moorhead. He seemed to have a lot of skills and did very well in that game I thought.

Comment

Originally posted by simple as a $3 bill View Post
                        I like the thought process but, there is one problem with it, and its kind of a big one.
                        If those schools were still Division II, the NSIC as we know it today wouldn't exist cuz the NCC would still be around.
                        At least one NSIC school seemed to hold their own during that era 😉

Comment

I saw him play in the high school all-star game and I really thought that he was a good get for Moorhead. He seemed to have a lot of skills and did very well in that game I thought.
                          I'm certainly drinking the cool-aid with Moorhead's incoming freshman class. Has the potential to be a very good class.

Comment

Well of course, but I'd like to believe the NSIC schools would win some recruiting battles over some of the NCC counterparts if at the same level.

Comment

Originally posted by NSU4LIFE View Post
                              Still amazing to me that people thought of Rob Thomas with such high regard.
                              Haha I debated if I should include him or not. I just went through the list of previous NSIC all-conference teams and career leaders to pick out names.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X