Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT:D1 moves/Summit League

Listening to a radio show today that spoke of the disarray that the summit league is in due to the abrupt leaving of IUPUI.

The a radio guys spoke of adding different school for different sports or would the best move be to add an old NCC member that would move up to D1, not considering all the politics and such.

They mentioned that there is $1-2 million from the IUPUI buyout that could or would go to the new member.

Just now the commissioner said that he would be more than open to the idea of adding amother member of d2 that would be moving up as they've had plenty of positive experience with getting schools on that move and helping them transition.

He also mentioned that the Summit League only allows two non d1 matches but that due to IUPUI leaving they would allow the NCAA max of four games to fill schedules.

For us, this could mean a match up for one of us against some old foes.

Just some off topic, interesting on goings. I can't emphasize enough of how positive and seemingly the only thing the commission really seemed energized speaking about was when they got him talking about the potential of a d2 school moving up...

So...

Re: OT:D1 moves/Summit League

I saw a list of potential teams for the Summit that some guy put together. He mentioned UMD, MSU and SCSU from MN. None of them have that kind of money or fan interest to pull it off. Hockey takes up too much of the budget.

Dakotas- no one unless Augie voluteers- and I haven't heard any rumblings from that front- unless it was acid indigestion.

Iowa & Wisconsin- no candidates.

Nebraska- he mentioned UN-Kearney. Again, with all of the problems that UNO has had, I see little chance of them moving up.

Missouri- Northwest keeps saying that they won't move. He mentioned Central, but then he went on to include Mo S&T and Mo-St. Louis. Come on. Lindenwood- they have money- lots of it. But they aren't ready yet. And they have women's hockey to bleed a lot of $$$

Now what interests me is how IUPUI is already on the Horizon schedule- they must have a way of plugging them in- and I wonder if they would possibly be adding baseball. I hope so. But that doesn't help the Summit teams- suddenly they have holes in the schedule during the conference season. Not that D2 teams wouldn't fill those spots- but they won't be playing at a Summit school when they have NSIC opponents every weekend.

I just don't see how this won't be a mess for the Summit this season.

Comment

Tjey mentioned southern Indiana as they arr rumored to make the move already and for the local teams they only mentioned one by name.....Augustana.

They mentioned full membership in all sports and then going non scholarship in footbl with the help of Sanford to make Sioux Falls a basketball mecca.

I imagine anyone is business or working for the city would do all they could to help Augie make that happen.

Comment

NSU has full schedule so won't be them.

Comment

Originally posted by NSU4LIFE View Post
          Tjey mentioned southern Indiana as they arr rumored to make the move already and for the local teams they only mentioned one by name.....Augustana.

They mentioned full membership in all sports and then going non scholarship in footbl with the help of Sanford to make Sioux Falls a basketball mecca.

I imagine anyone is business or working for the city would do all they could to help Augie make that happen.
          D2 Southern Indiana (no football) has had a lot of chatter online. The Horizon has talked about them. The problem would be waiting for them in transition.

I've heard about Augie going Pioneer to play teams like Drake- would USD & SDSU vote to let them into the Summit?

Comment

Originally posted by NSU4LIFE View Post
            NSU has full schedule so won't be them.
            MSU women just put out their schedule today. I'm waiting for the men's schedule to come out.

Comment

The only current D2 that in MN. and adjacent states that could possibly realistically do this would be Augustana. The others mentioned have too much money involved in D1 hockey. According to Augustana followers, moving up is not on their radar.

Comment

Originally posted by MStateMaverick View Post
                The only current D2 that in MN. and adjacent states that could possibly realistically do this would be Augustana. The others mentioned have too much money involved in D1 hockey. According to Augustana followers, moving up is not on their radar.
                The Augie part was the radio guys, the commissioner was the one excited for the thought of a d2 move.

With the thoughts Sioux falls has of itself I could see many making financial backing to make this potentially happen. Which may or may not hurt funds for SDSU and USD. People want to be tied go the d1 brand, but when in your actual town and thinking of benifits and how it could impact a city which is already growing at an insane rate, I don't know, I didn't see it before but now I can unfortunately understand it being feasible if people don't mind losing a little in football.

I think too much financial trouble for scsu and umd. Mankato has the talent and success, but just the fam backing when competing with UM so close and the lack of alumni support I think they'd be fairly content sticking around and continuing to build a d2 giant.

Anyway, fun conversation to listen to.

Comment

Originally posted by MStateMaverick View Post
                  This would be mind-bottling. Maybe if we all hope together as hard as we can, it will happen.

Personally, I love the idea, but I know other Augie folks who might not love it as much. Along with money in general, I'd imagine the football crowd would be less than enthused. Basketball-wise, though, I think it would be awesome.

Comment

Could be very attractive to a few MIAA schools -- either to get NWMo out of the conference or to get away from them. I would say that Central Missouri would be in the best position to compete/contribute in multiple sports.

Comment

Originally posted by MoHoops View Post
                      Could be very attractive to a few MIAA schools -- either to get NWMo out of the conference or to get away from them. I would say that Central Missouri would be in the best position to compete/contribute in multiple sports.
                      I don't think so. Central isn't afraid of Northwest in any sport and it wouldn't make sense for them to leave the conference to play in (Kansas City's view) an obscure conference and increase costs for less visibility.

It might make more sense for a geographical outlier like Lindenwood.

Comment

NW is not going D1 any time soon or ever, really. We are one of the least funded 4 year institutions in a state that is pulling more and more funding every year from higher ed. The community is small and the only facilities that are ready to be D1 is the football stadium. Literally the only reason NW is ever mentioned for this is because of their athletic success. Schools do it in different ways but NW doesn't have superior funding or large enrollments like other schools. It's just not going to happen.

Comment

Originally posted by Brandon View Post
                          I don't think so. Central isn't afraid of Northwest in any sport and it wouldn't make sense for them to leave the conference to play in (Kansas City's view) an obscure conference and increase costs for less visibility.

It might make more sense for a geographical outlier like Lindenwood.
                          I really wasn't implying that they are afraid. That first part was a joke. I do believe that UCM is in the best position of any MIAA school to make the jump if they were so inclined, given the breadth of strong athletic programs to add to a D1 conference -- both men's and women's.

Confused as to visibility reference. Do you think the Horizon League is less visible than the MIAA? Even in the conference footprint, the league only gets minimal press -- and only when someone wins a national championship. My view has always been that the conference had a whole bunch of exceptional athletes toiling in relative obscurity.
                          Last edited by MoHoops; 06-28-2017, 03:50 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by MoHoops View Post
                            I really wasn't implying that they are afraid. That first part was a joke. I do believe that UCM is in the best position of any MIAA school to make the jump if they were so inclined, given the breadth of strong athletic programs to add to a D1 conference -- both men's and women's.

Confused as to visibility reference. Do you think the Horizon League is less visible than the MIAA? Even in the conference footprint, the league only gets minimal press -- and only when someone wins a national championship. My view has always been that the conference had a whole bunch of exceptional athletes toiling in relative obscurity.
                            I live in Kansas City. The MIAA gets way more exposure than the Summit or any FCS Football.

Comment

Originally posted by Brandon View Post
                              I live in Kansas City. The MIAA gets way more exposure than the Summit or any FCS Football.
                              That would probably change if a team from the area played football in the Summit. When UMKC was in the Summit, the Summit received more basketball exposure than the MIAA.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X