• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• nsufan
    replied
    Re: The NEW Official Thread of the Augustana Vikings

Originally posted by MrAugustana View Post
    On top of that, look what that CSP loss did to Moorhead. They dropped below Augie AND Concordia did absolutely nothing after their win. It's great to say, "Well, the current format gives every team in the conference a chance to make the Regional if they put together a little conference tourney Cinderella run."

Here's my question: Who decided that Concordia-St. Paul or Minnesota Duluth deserves a chance to make a Cinderella run to reach the NCAA Tournament? I know that's easy to say as a fan of a team that hasn't been in that bottom-of-the-standings position since 2004-2005, but seriously. All that CSP/Moorhead game accomplished was that it gave CSP one "big win" over Moorhead before they lost their next game and their season was over. And even if they made a run and miraculously won the whole NSIC Tourney, why should they be rewarded with one of the EIGHT spots available to the 42 or 43 (is it 43?) teams in our entire region? Do we really want 7 deserving teams and then a 9-24 (which would've been their record if they'd won it all) NSIC representative getting the 8-seed?

As Billeter mentioned in that interview, if you want to get an at-large bid to the tournament, you have to be one of the 5 best teams in a 43-team region, depending on how the conference tourneys all shake out. But you at least have to be one of the 5 best teams if you want to be guaranteed a spot.

If you're the 6th or 7th or 8th best team in the region, why should you have to sit and watch a 9-24 Concordia-St. Paul squad sneak into the spot you've worked all season to earn just because they got hot during one important 4-game stretch? To me that's ridiculous.

I believe up until the loss to SMSU this past weekend, Augie was on an 8-game winning streak. So you have Augie putting together not one, but two 4-game winning streaks in the last two months alone, yet there could've been a situation (possibly) where the Vikes got bumped out of the Regional because CSP...or Crookston...or Duluth had a single 4-game winning streak (with slightly different circumstances in terms of frequency of games, etc., but still...) at a more convenient time?

I know I'm starting to ramble like a drunk old man, but this is something that's bugged me for awhile now. It also drives me crazy that the Summit League works that way. If I'm a USD fan and I've watched the (mangy) Coyotes win an outright conference championship by winning games all season, I'd be livid if SDSU or IUPUI or some other average team just happened to win 4 games in a row and snag an NCAA Tourney spot while my (mangy) Coyotes get demoted to the NIT. There should be some better reward for being the best team all season long than, "Oh well, you don't get to go to the Big Dance, have fun at the NIT losers."

Am I even making sense? Do I just sound like a crazy person? Are there horse socks? Is anybody listening to me?
    Couldn't agree more. Can't believe I agreed with an Augie fan ;)

Leave a comment:

• MrAugustana
    replied

Originally posted by Stanger86 View Post
    That's the biggest problem right now though. As Billeter explained, SOS is used heavily in regional rankings. Even just one game against a UMD or UMC can significantly affect the rankings. Not only does that hurt Moorhead and Northern because they have twice the regular season games against those schools, it hurts a South team that may be on the bubble but plays them in the opening round.

Just for discussion's sake, make it a 10-team tournament. The division champs get the opening round byes. Then do the first round, with seeding by division like they do today. It worked out nicely this year that the North/South split was 5/5 in the top 10, too.

Wednesday games
    USF at Northern
    Mankato at St Cloud
    Minot at Augie
    Mary at Upper Iowa

Bubble teams Northern and Upper Iowa get to play teams that were closer to .500 in conference play as opposed to a 8-14 and 4-18 team, respectively.
    On top of that, look what that CSP loss did to Moorhead. They dropped below Augie AND Concordia did absolutely nothing after their win. It's great to say, "Well, the current format gives every team in the conference a chance to make the Regional if they put together a little conference tourney Cinderella run."

Here's my question: Who decided that Concordia-St. Paul or Minnesota Duluth deserves a chance to make a Cinderella run to reach the NCAA Tournament? I know that's easy to say as a fan of a team that hasn't been in that bottom-of-the-standings position since 2004-2005, but seriously. All that CSP/Moorhead game accomplished was that it gave CSP one "big win" over Moorhead before they lost their next game and their season was over. And even if they made a run and miraculously won the whole NSIC Tourney, why should they be rewarded with one of the EIGHT spots available to the 42 or 43 (is it 43?) teams in our entire region? Do we really want 7 deserving teams and then a 9-24 (which would've been their record if they'd won it all) NSIC representative getting the 8-seed?

As Billeter mentioned in that interview, if you want to get an at-large bid to the tournament, you have to be one of the 5 best teams in a 43-team region, depending on how the conference tourneys all shake out. But you at least have to be one of the 5 best teams if you want to be guaranteed a spot.

If you're the 6th or 7th or 8th best team in the region, why should you have to sit and watch a 9-24 Concordia-St. Paul squad sneak into the spot you've worked all season to earn just because they got hot during one important 4-game stretch? To me that's ridiculous.

I believe up until the loss to SMSU this past weekend, Augie was on an 8-game winning streak. So you have Augie putting together not one, but two 4-game winning streaks in the last two months alone, yet there could've been a situation (possibly) where the Vikes got bumped out of the Regional because CSP...or Crookston...or Duluth had a single 4-game winning streak (with slightly different circumstances in terms of frequency of games, etc., but still...) at a more convenient time?

I know I'm starting to ramble like a drunk old man, but this is something that's bugged me for awhile now. It also drives me crazy that the Summit League works that way. If I'm a USD fan and I've watched the (mangy) Coyotes win an outright conference championship by winning games all season, I'd be livid if SDSU or IUPUI or some other average team just happened to win 4 games in a row and snag an NCAA Tourney spot while my (mangy) Coyotes get demoted to the NIT. There should be some better reward for being the best team all season long than, "Oh well, you don't get to go to the Big Dance, have fun at the NIT losers."

Am I even making sense? Do I just sound like a crazy person? Are there horse socks? Is anybody listening to me?

Leave a comment:

• MrAugustana
    replied

Originally posted by vikingfaithful View Post
    Does anyone know why we do not get longtime voice of the Vikings Jeff Fylling on home game Stretch internet broadcasts? I enjoy listening to Jeff.
    My understanding is that Augie pays Fylling to do the radio broadcasts. Midco pays their broadcast guys to do Midco games. And since it's a Midco production, they get to decide who broadcasts their games. Plus, I'm guessing it allows Midco to do commentary and stuff during and coming out of timeouts that Fylling can't necessarily do because he's pausing for station identification and whatnot. But that's complete speculation on my part.

Leave a comment:

• Stanger86
    replied

Originally posted by NSU4LIFE View Post
    But I'm sure the South likes it as they get to beat the weaker teams of the North. Good discussion
    That's the biggest problem right now though. As Billeter explained, SOS is used heavily in regional rankings. Even just one game against a UMD or UMC can significantly affect the rankings. Not only does that hurt Moorhead and Northern because they have twice the regular season games against those schools, it hurts a South team that may be on the bubble but plays them in the opening round.

Just for discussion's sake, make it a 10-team tournament. The division champs get the opening round byes. Then do the first round, with seeding by division like they do today. It worked out nicely this year that the North/South split was 5/5 in the top 10, too.

Wednesday games
    USF at Northern
    Mankato at St Cloud
    Minot at Augie
    Mary at Upper Iowa

Bubble teams Northern and Upper Iowa get to play teams that were closer to .500 in conference play as opposed to a 8-14 and 4-18 team, respectively.

Leave a comment:

• vikingfaithful
    replied

Does anyone know why we do not get longtime voice of the Vikings Jeff Fylling on home game Stretch internet broadcasts? I enjoy listening to Jeff.

Leave a comment:

• NSU4LIFE
    replied

Originally posted by Stanger86 View Post
    Yeah, the rankings stuff I kinda already knew.

The NSIC Tournament stuff is interesting. I agree that it's not a perfect system right now, but I don't know if there's a perfect way to fix it.

First suggestion I have could be to do it similar to how the MIAA does it, where not everyone plays on Wednesday night. But then how do you deal with unbalanced schedules and do you still split by divisions in the tournament? I love the reseeding idea, at least for going from Wednesday to Sunday.
    I haven't listened yet, but while I like the way it is, until the North proves themselves it is what it is. I'd have no problem if they seeded based on overall conference standings. But I'm sure the South likes it as they get to beat the weaker teams of the North. Good discussion

Leave a comment:

• Stanger86
    replied

I don't mean to talk while eating crow....but Ben Root was named sports broadcaster of the year in SD...
    Yeah, the rankings stuff I kinda already knew.

The NSIC Tournament stuff is interesting. I agree that it's not a perfect system right now, but I don't know if there's a perfect way to fix it.

First suggestion I have could be to do it similar to how the MIAA does it, where not everyone plays on Wednesday night. But then how do you deal with unbalanced schedules and do you still split by divisions in the tournament? I love the reseeding idea, at least for going from Wednesday to Sunday.

Leave a comment:

• NSU4LIFE
    replied

That's fine...to each their own. I just hope we get a good set of pipes some day, but I might be greedy I guess.
    I don't mean to talk while eating crow....but Ben Root was named sports broadcaster of the year in SD...

Leave a comment:

• MrAugustana
    replied

Some thoughts from Texas Tom recapping the season so far, discussing how Regional Rankings are calculated, debating possible ways the NSIC Tourney could be better structured, etc.: http://kwsn.com/podcasts/sports-talk...essful-seasons

Leave a comment:

• NSU4LIFE
    replied

If he did it with Vaughn, they were the best. I'm not sarcastic about Geno though. He had a crazy good memory, great stories, very good knowledge, kept his own stats and announced a pretty fluent game. I know, his tone wasn't great when things were grim, but he was incredible at what he did.
    That's fine...to each their own. I just hope we get a good set of pipes some day, but I might be greedy I guess.

Leave a comment:

• Augieholic
    replied

If he did it with Vaughn, they were the best. I'm not sarcastic about Geno though. He had a crazy good memory, great stories, very good knowledge, kept his own stats and announced a pretty fluent game. I know, his tone wasn't great when things were grim, but he was incredible at what he did.
    You're not the only one who misses ol' Geno. He had a tone that could capsize PJ Felck's boat but thats what made him so appealing. I'll never forget him calling Cam McCaffrey a "space cadet" for his shot selection despite McPizza's well known affinity for poaching Wolves in the Barnett Center.

Leave a comment:

• NSU4LIFE
    replied

Originally posted by ddwitte View Post
    That has to be sarcasm, right? Geno was such a drag. Our guys got assaulted every trip down the floor and if we were down 5 points, 4 minutes in there was no way we could win. I would take Rob Waltman back.

Leave a comment:

• ddwitte
    replied

Only listened to half so far. He is an enjoyable listen, Dave Vilhauer is incredible at covering sports...I can't do what Ben does, I tried once, but he is so hard to follow and listen to in games. I happy for him to have that special gig, but I want Geno back in the worst way.
    That has to be sarcasm, right? Geno was such a drag. Our guys got assaulted every trip down the floor and if we were down 5 points, 4 minutes in there was no way we could win. I would take Rob Waltman back.

Leave a comment:

• NSU4LIFE
    replied

Only listened to half so far. He is an enjoyable listen, Dave Vilhauer is incredible at covering sports...I can't do what Ben does, I tried once, but he is so hard to follow and listen to in games. I happy for him to have that special gig, but I want Geno back in the worst way.

Leave a comment:

• NSU4LIFE
    replied

Originally posted by MrAugustana View Post
    Hate to post anything that might make you hate Texas Tom and Augie a little bit less, NSU4LIFE, but I saw via social media that Coach Billeter was on the Aberdeen ESPN station today and he was highly complimentary of the Wolves. For those interested: http://www.hubcityradio.com/2017/02/...orts-hub-22417
    It's a Jedi mind trick...I've already alerted the troops. I never said I hated him, for the record.

Leave a comment:

Ad3

Collapse
Working...
X