• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Augieholic
    replied
    Re: The NEW Official Thread of the Augustana Vikings

Originally posted by laker View Post
    Chad's Free Press column on Augie leaving........

http://www.mankatofreepress.com/spor..._medium=social
    Originally posted by Moorhead123 View Post
    No idea of how politics shake out with something like this, but my gut tells me benefit of doubt may not work in Augie favor on this issue...
    If you and Chad Courrier think Sanford is going to let the NSIC ban Augie from the basketball conf tourney, for example, in SF then I have some bitcoin Id love to sell you.

Leave a comment:

• laker
    replied

I found a picture of Mr Mr teasing an Augie women's basketball player.

Ms Auggie- Mr Mr, I know that your going to move that basket as soon as I shoot!

Mr Mr- No, no, no- who do you think I am, Lucy from Peanuts? I won't move it. Go ahead and shoot!

Leave a comment:

• laker
    replied

Originally posted by MrAugustana View Post
    If, in 10-20 years, the fan support has grown beyond the walls of the Pentagon, I wouldn't be shocked if the Vikes would try to do a major, major Elmen Center overhaul or build an entirely new on-campus stadium. But we'd have to be drawing, what... 7,000-10,000 a game?... before things would get that crazy, and I find it hard to believe it would happen anytime in the near, near future.
    I think that on-campus is always preferable to off-campus (I didn't like MSU's experiment of playing downtown before the Taylor Center was built) but what would you do with parking for that many people? I've had to park quite a ways away when going to the Elmen. Like you said, that might be many years in the future- would they put permanent parking across the street where they have it for football now?

Leave a comment:

• laker
    replied

Originally posted by NSU4LIFE View Post
    Is there any prior scenarios like this? I'm sure if they have someone lined up already that they wouldnt hesitate to pit the ban on, if they dont then they wouldn't. Just a totally random guess.
    The last time that a team left the NSIC would have been 2004 when UMD left for the NCC. I don't remember what, if any, penalties were invoked. And I don't know what the bylaws say.

Leave a comment:

• NSU4LIFE
    replied

His comment at the end is humorously bitter. If Augie at any point during the rest of their time in the Northern Sun is good enough to earn regional berths and tournament appearances, maybe it's actually in the Northern Sun's best interest to let them compete. Racking up another National Championship or even just another Elite Eight appearance for the conference would be better than giving that "spot" to a less deserving team who might not make it to that point at all.

Easy for me to say as an Augie fan, though.
    It's hard to say. I mean you should want to reward the teams that are committed, however, if Augie was at that level of national contender it would showcase the conference to some extent and also, how would that sit with anyone else joining the conference? Would they see that (if they have a long term goal of D1 in mind) and that be a deal breaker? I have no idea. Regardless that its Augie we are talking about, I would personally say reward the committed teams, but I'm only one person and wouldnt be upset if they allowed them to play on.

Is there any prior scenarios like this? I'm sure if they have someone lined up already that they wouldnt hesitate to pit the ban on, if they dont then they wouldn't. Just a totally random guess.

Leave a comment:

• GrifFan
    replied
    The NEW Official Thread of the Augustana Vikings

His comment at the end is humorously bitter. If Augie at any point during the rest of their time in the Northern Sun is good enough to earn regional berths and tournament appearances, maybe it's actually in the Northern Sun's best interest to let them compete. Racking up another National Championship or even just another Elite Eight appearance for the conference would be better than giving that "spot" to a less deserving team who might not make it to that point at all.

Leave a comment:

• Moorhead123
    replied

No idea of how politics shake out with something like this, but my gut tells me benefit of doubt may not work in Augie favor on this issue...

Leave a comment:

• MrAugustana
    replied

Leave a comment:

• laker
    replied

Leave a comment:

• MrAugustana
    replied

Reigning NSIC South Player of the Week and strong NSIC Newcomer of the Year candidate Tyler Riemersma sitting on the Vikings bench in street clothes. That is... concerning. Haven't been watching the entire broadcast, so I haven't heard an explanation yet. If someone else has, please feel free to chime in.

Leave a comment:

• MrAugustana
    replied

Originally posted by wsc94 View Post
    I looked at last years bb attendance. WSC's ave was 649.............ave Div 2, is 642. For a town of 5000 and really small old area towns probably not terrible.

Augie (2400) outdraws USD and SDSU by a couple hundred. Augie outdraws UNO (2366). Omaha is a lot bigger but UNO has not captured the imagination by any shot.

It is a bigger consideration than just attendance but I am more impressed now. I would assume mediocre Div 1 basketball could bring in 4 to 5,000 some games.

If your Dad is Denny Sanford ..........that is more important than adding 1000 folks at your games in Div 1.
    The argument being made from the anti-Augie Summit League crowd is that the attendance numbers will most likely decrease when, due to the stupid scheduling of the Summit League, the Vikings are playing random games on Wednesday nights or rivalry games over Christmas break, and generally no doubleheaders, which is fairly common for SDSU/USD/etc.

Supposedly the Summit League is going to try to schedule more doubleheaders moving forward, but that's just what I have read, not what I know for certain. I would imagine, at least for a few years, the excitement of renewing a rivalry with the former NCC schools will boost attendance numbers, even if the game is played on a Wednesday night or not a doubleheader.

Leave a comment:

• wsc94
    replied

I looked at last years bb attendance. WSC's ave was 649.............ave Div 2, is 642. For a town of 5000 and really small old area towns probably not terrible.

Augie (2400) outdraws USD and SDSU by a couple hundred. Augie outdraws UNO (2366). Omaha is a lot bigger but UNO has not captured the imagination by any shot.

It is a bigger consideration than just attendance but I am more impressed now. I would assume mediocre Div 1 basketball could bring in 4 to 5,000 some games.

If your Dad is Denny Sanford ..........that is more important than adding 1000 folks at your games in Div 1.

Leave a comment:

• laker
    replied

Originally posted by Stanger86 View Post
    Sioux Empire Home Show
    Makes sense. Probably more drawing power.

Leave a comment:

• Stanger86
    replied

I'm assuming that the reason why the USF/Southwest games the last weekend of the regular season are at the Elmen is because the Arena is hosting a tournament?
    Sioux Empire Home Show

Leave a comment:

• laker
    replied

I'm assuming that the reason why the USF/Southwest games the last weekend of the regular season are at the Elmen is because the Arena is hosting a tournament?

Leave a comment:

Ad3

Collapse
Working...
X