Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NSIC Mid Season Awards

After this past weekend the conference season has officially arrived at its midpoint, which means we have enough of a sample size to back up strong sentiments that have accumulated thus far. Here's where I stand (all stats are for NSIC games only unless otherwise noted):

NSIC POY: Tyler Rudolph - Minot St
    Northern is the class of the league but their players are "penalized" by that balance and depth when it comes to individual awards. Rudolph is averaging 21.8ppg-7.5rpg and ranks #2 in PPG, #5 in RPG, #7 in FG%, and #3 in 3pt%. Most importantly he's played in every conference game compared to other contenders a certain fan base may favor.

NSIC Coach of the Year: Matt Murken - Minot St
    I'm sure the basic coaches will vote for Paul SaTTher given his team's immense success, however Matt Murken has taken a team from MINOT STATE in Minot, North Dakota and brought it to the precipice of a Regional berth. If anyone saw that coming I hope they use their knowledge of the future for good and not just inventing something worthless like bitcoin.

NSIC Newcomer of the Year: Trevon Evans - USF
    After years of misfires USF finally hit on a transfer and if it hadn't been for all the weight he lost this would be the biggest accomplishment of Chris Johnson's year. Evans is putting up 20.1ppg-4.9rpg-2.8apg on a team that is . . . . . .competitive? adequate? above .500 yeah that's it, they're above .500. Also in the mix is Sean Smith from SCSU in what is another uninspiring Newcomer of the Year battle. GET IT TOGETHER MARGS, FIGURE IT OUT!

Defensive Player of the Year: John Warren - Augustana
    I highly doubt anyone in the league has tangled with Tyler Rudolph, Tanner Kretchman, and Ryan Bruggeman on purpose. His defensive rebounding stats aren't overwhelming (4.8 per game, 13th in the league) but that's primarily because he spends a vast majority of his time guarding a perimeter player who is shooting the ball. Plus he's tied for the league lead in steals at two per game. Watching him situate himself off the ball to help his usually overmatched teammates and then show subtle exasperation at their failings has provided me with several chuckles. Others in consideration are Gable Smith from Crookston, (T-1 in steals per game, #1 blocks per game) Ian Smith from Northern (#6 steals, #15 def reb on the team with the best defensive rating in the league)

Freshmen of the Year: Joe Smoldt - Upper Iowa
    While Matt Cartwright's excellence in execution (shout to Bret Hart) jump shot hopefully proves me wrong, Smoldt's stats are too hard to ignore. Some of that is due to opportunity since Smoldt is playing 6 more minutes per game than Cartwright, or quality of team since UIU is 3-9 while Augie is 6-6, but the fact that Joe has scored in double figures in all but two NSIC games is a deal breaker. Both know how to sling it as Smoldt is shooting 44% from 3 on nearly 7 attempts per game while averaging 13.7ppg compared to Cartwright averaging 10.7ppg and shooting 41% on 6 attempts per game.

NSIC 1st Team
    Tyler Rudolph - Minot
    Luis Ricci Maia - Minot
    Ian Smith - Northern
    Logan Doyle - Northern
    Charlie Brown - Mankato
    Ryan Bruggeman - SMSU
    Drew Guebert - USF
    Jordan Spencer - Augie
    Jon Averkamp - SCSU
    Harrison Cleary - Crookston

NSIC 2nd Team
    Carson Parker - UIU
    Trevon Evans - USF
    Brandon Myer - UMD
    John Warren - Augie
    Kevin Krieger - Mankato
    DJ Pollard - Northern (would've been Paterka before his injury)
    Carter Evans - Northern (the coaches probably don't have the stones to do this since he doesn't start but he deserves it)
    Gage Davis - SCSU
    Carter Kirk - SMSU
    Kendall Jacks - Wayne

I welcome any and all criticisms. Mostly from Winona fans since I can't quite tell how they're this good without one player in the top 30 NSIC scorers or Tanner Kretchman lovers.

Re: NSIC Mid Season Awards

Interesting post, thanks for sharing your thoughts.

Will this invoke a response from Mister Mister? Or others?

Comment

Interesting evaluation. I haven't seen some of these players in action as yet this season, but I assume you have done the research.

Comment

Originally posted by laker View Post
        Interesting post, thanks for sharing your thoughts.

Will this invoke a response from Mister Mister? Or others?
        I hope others chime in. That's what makes it fun for the skeleton crew that's left on here. :)

Not a whole lot I disagree with, which may not come as much of a surprise. I tend to defer to Augieholic's acumen (or accumen as the artist formerly known as Herdman once called it sarcastically many, many years ago).

-What started as a chance to mess with simple as a $3 bill has become a reality in the Tyler Rudolph PoY discussion. Hard to see how a kid who has been suspended, is not the leading scorer on his team, and has only started 6 of the 9 games he has played in this season somehow deserves PoY more than Rudolph at this point in the season.

-Also agree with Murken for PoY over Sather, but also agree that Sather will probably still win it.

-I don't know as much about the transfers, so Newcomer of the Year I have no real opinion on. At the beginning of the year, I had high hopes it would be Dykman, but those hopes have dwindled game-by-game, and Evans is clearly in the lead based on the few transfers I have paid attention to.

-I love watching John Warren play defense. I always think, "Would I just HATE having to play against this guy in a game if he were guarding me?" when I consider defenders, and the answer for John has never been anything other than, "Yes, I would absolutely hate it." There are always a few bigs here and there who bang and grab defensive boards who are probably contenders too and who I would also hate to play against, but John has been asked to both play and defend several different positions this year (mainly the 2-4 spots), and he has stepped up admirably, specifically on the defensive end.

-I was really, really hoping Cartwright would pull off Freshman of the Year, but I knew Smoldt had an edge over him early in the season, and that edge has widened into more of a gap during the past 6-7 games. Cartwright had a solid 23-point game against Moorhead, but I think he needed to follow that up with another big night against Northern if he really wanted to push himself into the discussion. There's still time (he has definitely been a game-by-game confidence builder type of kid and there are still 11 games left for him to get better), but it's pretty clear that, statistically, Smoldt was a really good snag for the Peacocks and has already started 10 games this season.

-I wish there was a way to get Kendall Jacks up into that 1st Team because he's one of a small handful of players in the NSIC of whom I consistently think, "Man, I would probably trade one of our starters for him, straight up" every time I watch him, but I can be persuaded that he's in the right spot on the 2nd Team. Then again, I won't be shocked if he makes the 1st Team either.

-Spencer has had a handful of head-scratching games but seems to be more comfortable again the past few weekends, so I can see him sticking in the 1st Team realm. His assist numbers have stayed high as he's shouldered a heavier scoring load, which probably also helps in keeping him up as a 1st Teamer. Also, not many guys go several seasons on the 1st Team and then drop down to 2nd Team their senior years (although...did Monaghan maybe do that? I feel like someone within the last 4-5 years did...).

-I know he's good, and for all I know he might've even had a great game against the Vikes and I just wasn't paying close enough attention, but I have always been whelmed...but not overwhelmed...by Charlie Brown. Just appropriately whelmed. Same with Ian Smith. Again, I could just be forgetting or overlooking great games, but I never am blown away when I see either of them. Now I'm sure both will go for 40 in their losses to Augie in the NSIC Tourney, but that's where I'm at with things now.

-I wish Guebert were a Viking. He'd be perfect in Augie's system of long-limbed, effective shooters. Such is life.

Comment

Originally posted by Augieholic View Post
          After this past weekend the conference season has officially arrived at its midpoint, which means we have enough of a sample size to back up strong sentiments that have accumulated thus far. Here's where I stand (all stats are for NSIC games only unless otherwise noted):

Northern is the class of the league but their players are "penalized" by that balance and depth when it comes to individual awards. Rudolph is averaging 21.8ppg-7.5rpg and ranks #2 in PPG, #5 in RPG, #7 in FG%, and #3 in 3pt%. Most importantly he's played in every conference game compared to other contenders a certain fan base may favor.

I'm sure the basic coaches will vote for Paul SaTTher given his team's immense success, however Matt Murken has taken a team from MINOT STATE in Minot, North Dakota and brought it to the precipice of a Regional berth. If anyone saw that coming I hope they use their knowledge of the future for good and not just inventing something worthless like bitcoin.

After years of misfires USF finally hit on a transfer and if it hadn't been for all the weight he lost this would be the biggest accomplishment of Chris Johnson's year. Evans is putting up 20.1ppg-4.9rpg-2.8apg on a team that is . . . . . .competitive? adequate? above .500 yeah that's it, they're above .500. Also in the mix is Sean Smith from SCSU in what is another uninspiring Newcomer of the Year battle. GET IT TOGETHER MARGS, FIGURE IT OUT!

I highly doubt anyone in the league has tangled with Tyler Rudolph, Tanner Kretchman, and Ryan Bruggeman on purpose. His defensive rebounding stats aren't overwhelming (4.8 per game, 13th in the league) but that's primarily because he spends a vast majority of his time guarding a perimeter player who is shooting the ball. Plus he's tied for the league lead in steals at two per game. Watching him situate himself off the ball to help his usually overmatched teammates and then show subtle exasperation at their failings has provided me with several chuckles. Others in consideration are Gable Smith from Crookston, (T-1 in steals per game, #1 blocks per game) Ian Smith from Northern (#6 steals, #15 def reb on the team with the best defensive rating in the league)

While Matt Cartwright's excellence in execution (shout to Bret Hart) jump shot hopefully proves me wrong, Smoldt's stats are too hard to ignore. Some of that is due to opportunity since Smoldt is playing 6 more minutes per game than Cartwright, or quality of team since UIU is 3-9 while Augie is 6-6, but the fact that Joe has scored in double figures in all but two NSIC games is a deal breaker. Both know how to sling it as Smoldt is shooting 44% from 3 on nearly 7 attempts per game while averaging 13.7ppg compared to Cartwright averaging 10.7ppg and shooting 41% on 6 attempts per game.

NSIC 1st Team
          Tyler Rudolph - Minot
          Luis Ricci Maia - Minot
          Ian Smith - Northern
          Logan Doyle - Northern
          Charlie Brown - Mankato
          Ryan Bruggeman - SMSU
          Drew Guebert - USF
          Jordan Spencer - Augie
          Jon Averkamp - SCSU

NSIC 2nd Team
          Carson Parker - UIU
          Trevon Evans - USF
          Brandon Myer - UMD
          John Warren - Augie
          Kevin Krieger - Mankato
          Carter Evans - Northern (the coaches probably don't have the stones to do this since he doesn't start but he deserves it)
          Gage Davis - SCSU
          Carter Kirk - SMSU
          Kendall Jacks - Wayne

I welcome any and all criticisms. Mostly from Winona fans since I can't quite tell how they're this good without one player in the top 30 NSIC scorers or Tanner Kretchman lovers.
          I would say if Doyle gets first team (which I do not disagree with) Evans should be considered for 2nd team because they split time and have comparable stats. In fact, I think you could say they are playing at very comparable levels. Doyle is a more aggressive scorer and rebounder, but Evans is a better rim protector and passer. When NSU gets in a funk they almost always put Evans in the game to get things going and it often works. If you normalize stats for either of them by minutes played they would be putting up huge numbers. I see Sather's strategy to limit their time and I guess you cannot argue with the results so far. Last game Doyle had 18 points in less than 20 minutes as I recall, and Evans played only 14 minutes but had 15 points on 7 for 7, 4 boards, 4 assists, 3 blocks and a couple steals. This was not against NSIC competition but still....

Comment

Originally posted by benchwarmer75 View Post
            I would say if Doyle gets first team (which I do not disagree with) Evans should be considered for 2nd team because they split time and have comparable stats. In fact, I think you could say they are playing at very comparable levels. Doyle is a more aggressive scorer and rebounder, but Evans is a better rim protector and passer. When NSU gets in a funk they almost always put Evans in the game to get things going and it often works. If you normalize stats for either of them by minutes played they would be putting up huge numbers. I see Sather's strategy to limit their time and I guess you cannot argue with the results so far. Last game Doyle had 18 points in less than 20 minutes as I recall, and Evans played only 14 minutes but had 15 points on 7 for 7, 4 boards, 4 assists, 3 blocks and a couple steals. This was not against NSIC competition but still....
            The counterbalance to that, obviously, is whether or not the added fatigue of more minutes would consequently reduce their statistical output, as well as considering whether or not they would be in foul trouble more consistently (which I believe has been an issue in the past for Evans specifically, but I could be mistaken) if they were playing more minutes and becoming more fatigued.

Comment

NSIC 1st Team
              Tyler Rudolph - Minot
              Luis Ricci Maia - Minot
              Ian Smith - Northern
              Logan Doyle - Northern
              Charlie Brown - Mankato
              Ryan Bruggeman - SMSU
              Drew Guebert - USF
              Jordan Spencer - Augie
              Jon Averkamp - SCSU

NSIC 2nd Team
              Carson Parker - UIU
              Trevon Evans - USF
              Brandon Myer - UMD
              John Warren - Augie
              Kevin Krieger - Mankato
              Gage Davis - SCSU
              Carter Kirk - SMSU
              Kendall Jacks - Wayne

You will get no criticism from me on this point. Winona is balanced and fitting of a Lake Wobegon team; everyone above average. I thought Devin Whitelow might be worthy of conversation for Freshman of the Year until he got hurt and missed a few games.

Comment

Originally posted by MrAugustana View Post
                I hope others chime in. That's what makes it fun for the skeleton crew that's left on here. :)

Not a whole lot I disagree with, which may not come as much of a surprise. I tend to defer to Augieholic's acumen (or accumen as the artist formerly known as Herdman once called it sarcastically many, many years ago).

-What started as a chance to mess with simple as a $3 bill has become a reality in the Tyler Rudolph PoY discussion. Hard to see how a kid who has been suspended, is not the leading scorer on his team, and has only started 6 of the 9 games he has played in this season somehow deserves PoY more than Rudolph at this point in the season.

-Also agree with Murken for PoY over Sather, but also agree that Sather will probably still win it.

-I don't know as much about the transfers, so Newcomer of the Year I have no real opinion on. At the beginning of the year, I had high hopes it would be Dykman, but those hopes have dwindled game-by-game, and Evans is clearly in the lead based on the few transfers I have paid attention to.

-I love watching John Warren play defense. I always think, "Would I just HATE having to play against this guy in a game if he were guarding me?" when I consider defenders, and the answer for John has never been anything other than, "Yes, I would absolutely hate it." There are always a few bigs here and there who bang and grab defensive boards who are probably contenders too and who I would also hate to play against, but John has been asked to both play and defend several different positions this year (mainly the 2-4 spots), and he has stepped up admirably, specifically on the defensive end.

-I was really, really hoping Cartwright would pull off Freshman of the Year, but I knew Smoldt had an edge over him early in the season, and that edge has widened into more of a gap during the past 6-7 games. Cartwright had a solid 23-point game against Moorhead, but I think he needed to follow that up with another big night against Northern if he really wanted to push himself into the discussion. There's still time (he has definitely been a game-by-game confidence builder type of kid and there are still 11 games left for him to get better), but it's pretty clear that, statistically, Smoldt was a really good snag for the Peacocks and has already started 10 games this season.

-I wish there was a way to get Kendall Jacks up into that 1st Team because he's one of a small handful of players in the NSIC of whom I consistently think, "Man, I would probably trade one of our starters for him, straight up" every time I watch him, but I can be persuaded that he's in the right spot on the 2nd Team. Then again, I won't be shocked if he makes the 1st Team either.

-Spencer has had a handful of head-scratching games but seems to be more comfortable again the past few weekends, so I can see him sticking in the 1st Team realm. His assist numbers have stayed high as he's shouldered a heavier scoring load, which probably also helps in keeping him up as a 1st Teamer. Also, not many guys go several seasons on the 1st Team and then drop down to 2nd Team their senior years (although...did Monaghan maybe do that? I feel like someone within the last 4-5 years did...).

-I know he's good, and for all I know he might've even had a great game against the Vikes and I just wasn't paying close enough attention, but I have always been whelmed...but not overwhelmed...by Charlie Brown. Just appropriately whelmed. Same with Ian Smith. Again, I could just be forgetting or overlooking great games, but I never am blown away when I see either of them. Now I'm sure both will go for 40 in their losses to Augie in the NSIC Tourney, but that's where I'm at with things now.

-I wish Guebert were a Viking. He'd be perfect in Augie's system of long-limbed, effective shooters. Such is life.
                About the only argument you might get from me on this one is how did you even include Mr. Davis on your 2nd team considering the overall picture from this season. Its been a really wasted one for him so far.

You wish he was a Viking so you could see his Mom all the time. I really doubt that there's a better looking Mom out there this year. Just thinking about her now, excuse me..............................I'm done. :)

Comment

NSIC 1st Team
                  Tyler Rudolph - Minot
                  Luis Ricci Maia - Minot
                  Ian Smith - Northern
                  Logan Doyle - Northern
                  Charlie Brown - Mankato
                  Ryan Bruggeman - SMSU
                  Drew Guebert - USF
                  Jordan Spencer - Augie
                  Jon Averkamp - SCSU

NSIC 2nd Team
                  Carson Parker - UIU
                  Trevon Evans - USF
                  Brandon Myer - UMD
                  John Warren - Augie
                  Kevin Krieger - Mankato
                  Gage Davis - SCSU
                  Carter Kirk - SMSU
                  Kendall Jacks - Wayne

Really solid post.

your break down of the all conference teams are good too.

I would say this - many think the NSIC is down this but I don't. If you look at those players on the second team they are really good. Carter Kirk, Carson Parker, and John Warren just to say 3

Northern is a great team and Minot is obviously for real. Wayne has come back and Mankato is good again. The league is solid as usual.

I am looking forward to watching Minot and Tyler Rudolph when they come to town in a couple weeks to see them for myself, but from afar they are no fluke.

Comment

I think we'd all love Drew Guebert on our team!

Comment

Agree on Kendall Jacks. Helluva player.

Comment

NSIC 1st Team
                        Tyler Rudolph - Minot
                        Luis Ricci Maia - Minot
                        Ian Smith - Northern
                        Logan Doyle - Northern
                        Charlie Brown - Mankato
                        Ryan Bruggeman - SMSU
                        Drew Guebert - USF
                        Jordan Spencer - Augie
                        Jon Averkamp - SCSU

NSIC 2nd Team
                        Carson Parker - UIU
                        Trevon Evans - USF
                        Brandon Myer - UMD
                        John Warren - Augie
                        Kevin Krieger - Mankato
                        Gage Davis - SCSU
                        Carter Kirk - SMSU
                        Kendall Jacks - Wayne

You can certainly make a case that Carter Kirk is a first teamer this year. Leads the league in rebounds and has been consistently good.

If SMSU can go on a run and win the South I think he and Bruggeman both make first team.

Comment

Good list.

Comment

Originally posted by MrMustang View Post
                            You can certainly make a case that Carter Kirk is a first teamer this year. Leads the league in rebounds and has been consistently good.

If SMSU can go on a run and win the South I think he and Bruggeman both make first team.
                            Yeah that's the biggest discrepancy I see with that list. I don't see why he's on second team behind Doyle. I get that the Wolves rotate their bigs which makes his stats look worse, but even on a per-minute basis Kirk has better stats.

Doyle .545 point per minute, .320 rebound per minute
                            Kirk .557 point per minute, .378 rebound per minute

Comment

If Cole Dahl keeps up his pace of the last two games, you might as well give him the POY

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X