• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best D2 Basketball Stadiums

Includes several in the region, and a nomination from our very own laker:

http://www.ncaa.com/news/basketball-...as-division-ii

Re: Best D2 Basketball Stadiums

Sorry, but Minot shouldn't be up there. The only reason it's notable is the 10k capacity.

The NSIC has pretty nice arenas, but most are rather cookie-cutter. I actually think some of my favorites in the region are down in the GAC from looking at pictures. Most notably Tucker Coliseum (Arkansas Tech) and Kerr Activities Center (East Central).

Comment

Originally posted by Stanger86 View Post
      Sorry, but Minot shouldn't be up there. The only reason it's notable is the 10k capacity.

The NSIC has pretty nice arenas, but most are rather cookie-cutter. I actually think some of my favorites in the region are down in the GAC from looking at pictures. Most notably Tucker Coliseum (Arkansas Tech) and Kerr Activities Center (East Central).
      I promise I'm not just being a cynical/snarky Augie poster with this question...

The caption on the Minot State Dome photo reads, "A packed out Beaver's game at the Minot State Dome."

Has the Minot State Dome ever legitimately been "packed out" for a Minot State men's basketball game? Was there a time in history when the Beavers did draw 8,000-10,000 fans? Or is that photo from, like, a high school state tournament or something? Because I'm seeing a lot of yellow in that photo, and I'm not sure the Christmas Beavers have much for yellow in their uniforms/school colors.

Comment

I'd have to say IUP KCAC Center is pretty nice and has to be a top 5 D2 venue with all chair seating for 5k fans
        http://www.kovalchickcomplex.com/arena-info/

Cal (Pa) also has a pretty new basketball arena that seats 6k

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=...16888653757861

Virginia State also recently opened a beautiful new state of the art arena

http://www.sbballard.com/portfolio/v...urpose-center/

Comment

They got the MIAA arenas right, IMO, though I haven't been to games at the most recent members (UCO, NSU, LU, UNK). I'd be curious to see Drury's arena - they had a great atmosphere in the old gym.

Comment

Originally posted by GrifFan View Post
            Includes several in the region, and a nomination from our very own laker:

http://www.ncaa.com/news/basketball-...as-division-ii
            I wasn't surprised to see Northern on there- they have great attendance. However, to them size must matter because even though Minot's gym is huge, it seems quite empty. As Mr. Mr. noted, this was at a state tournament, not a Beaver game.

I love the Taylor Center at MSU- it could use a replay board like there is at Southwest. But the thing that is most missing is the fans.

Comment

I'm going to shock the world here. I love the Barnett Center. It is a Wonderful faculty and is, I believe, the most or 2nd most used building in the state (read that somewhere). However, it isn't brand new. I dream of us building an indoor track/multi purpose building which isn't part of this big campaign currently so I don't see in any time soon, but if you had that, we could eventually put in permanent seating and work on upgrades to the BC. It has to be an incredible selling point to tell young women and men that they will play in front of the biggest crowds in all of D2 year after year. We are having another big year already and with I Hate Winter weekend in a few days, I'd venture to guess the men average 5,500 between the two nights at minimum. All that said, what Mankato plays in is an amazing facility. While I would never wish Mankato well, as we have all said, it's an absolute shame that no one goes to there games. Hoping to finally see this Pentagon this year finally, however, that is it's own facility and so you can't really claim It as anyone's. I know, expected me to make a better case but I can't. The BC is exceptional for a basketball experience, despite what a couple of Sufu media guys think, but that is based on attendance and the love for basketball that the area has, that includes the State B boys tourney

Comment

we have a number of solid arenas.

Northern is great -- big but good crowds -- deserves a place there

Kato - - great Arena - good sightlines -- love watching games there. But like Laker said - generally empty except when SMSU plays there and turns it into RA East

SMSU , Winona, Moorhead etc -- these are all solid arenas but are more functional than unique. But there are very solid for D2

Wayne -- Rice - underrated because it is unique and old school. Seems cozy even with small crowds. I always love going there.

Upper - same -- unique , cozy, perfect for what they need. Very nice too updated and great place to watch

Comment

I actually really like St. Cloud. It's has an old, rustic feel to it and maybe it's the old school in me, but I really think it's a cool place. After seeing Duluth on air last week, that place looks like a dump. During my tour in the UMAC, I'd put most of those gyms above Duluths

Comment

Originally posted by laker View Post
                    I wasn't surprised to see Northern on there- they have great attendance. However, to them size must matter because even though Minot's gym is huge, it seems quite empty. As Mr. Mr. noted, this was at a state tournament, not a Beaver game.

I love the Taylor Center at MSU- it could use a replay board like there is at Southwest. But the thing that is most missing is the fans.
                    So how is it really any different than Minot then?

Comment

Originally posted by MrMustang View Post
                      we have a number of solid arenas.

Kato - - great Arena - good sightlines -- love watching games there. But like Laker said - generally empty except when SMSU plays there and turns it into RA East

SMSU , Winona, Moorhead etc -- these are all solid arenas but are more functional than unique. But there are very solid for D2

Wayne -- Rice - underrated because it is unique and old school. Seems cozy even with small crowds. I always love going there.

Upper - same -- unique , cozy, perfect for what they need. Very nice too updated and great place to watch
                      I would contend that what Augie has managed to do with the Sioux Falls Arena puts it in the top 3-4 in the conference. Big-time feel (for D2), comfortable seating, better parking, great video boards and sound, etc.

Comment

[QUOTE=MrMustang;2170397]we have a number of solid arenas.

Upper - same -- unique , cozy, perfect for what they need. Very nice too updated and great place to watch[/QUOTE

Wayne is kind of weird only having stands on one side. When watching live feeds you get a shot of a stage with a closed curtain. Reminds of small school high schools where the gym has to be an auditorium and live stage facility as well. Might be picky but if they would move the players to the fan side and move the camera to the stage side it would look a lot better on-line.

Comment

Originally posted by DapperDan View Post
                          So how is it really any different than Minot then?
                          One, it's a more reasonable size for D2, at about 5000k.
                          Second, it has been nearly full, or full, on several occasions. Mainly back during the NCC days, but most recently in a regional final a few years back.

Comment

Originally posted by GrifFan View Post
                            They got the MIAA arenas right, IMO, though I haven't been to games at the most recent members (UCO, NSU, LU, UNK). I'd be curious to see Drury's arena - they had a great atmosphere in the old gym.
                            I really like the setup at the new Drury arena. Seats all the way around the court except for one end where you have the pep band and then a wall. I need to get to a game on something other than Thansgiving weekend to experience the real atmosphere though. I haven't been to that many arenas yet, but Arkansas Fort Smith is the best one that I have visited.

Comment

Originally posted by MStateMaverick View Post
                              One, it's a more reasonable size for D2, at about 5000k.
                              Second, it has been nearly full, or full, on several occasions. Mainly back during the NCC days, but most recently in a regional final a few years back.
                              I had to Google this, never would have guessed you can get that many in there.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X