• Show
Clear All

• NSIC Men's All-Conference Teams and Awards

MEN

NSIC Player of the Year
    F - Tyler Rudolph, Minot State (SR)

- Led Minot State in scoring, rebounding and field goal percentage
    - Ranks third in the NSIC averaging 20.9 points per game
    - Ranks sixth in the conference averaging 7.4 rebounds per contest and is third in the league shooting 59.3 percent
    - Broke the Minot State career scoring record as he has 1,964 career points
    - Broke the Minot State career rebounding record with 905
    - Named the NSIC North Player of the Week five times this season,
    - Finished second in the NSIC in career scoring with 1,494 points which trailed only Daniel Jansen of Augustana who had 1,521
    - Reached double figures in scoring in 28 of the 29 games played this season
    - Scored a career-high 40 points in a victory over Mayville State on Nov. 14
    - He topped 20 points in a game on 14 occasions and had eight double-doubles

NSIC Defensive Player of the Year
    F - Gable Smith, Minnesota-Crookston (JR)

- Led all of NCAA Division II with 109 blocks (3.9 blocks per game)
    - Ranks second in all three NCAA Divisions with his 109 blocks (trails Ajdin Penava of Marshall - 114)
    - Ranks second in the NSIC with 46 steals on the 2017-18 season
    - In NSIC only contests he ranks first in steals with 38
    - Tallied 11 games with five or more blocks, including a career-high nine blocks against Northern State
    - Averaged 8.3 points and 6.8 rebounds per game

NSIC Freshman of the Year
    G - Joe Smoldt, Upper Iowa (FR)

- Started 19 of the 22 NSIC games this season averaging 14.4 points per game
    - Played over 32 minutes per NSIC contest while shooting 44.7% from the floor, 43.9% from three and 83.3% from the charity stripe
    - Pulled down 3.4 rebounds per game and added 1.8 assists against NSIC opponents
    - Season-high of 26 points came at home against SCSU and he topped the 20-point mark three times adding 25 against NSU and 21 at WSC
    - Reached double-figures in 19 of the 22 NSIC games
    - In the NSIC, Smoldt ranks first in three-pointers made per game, third overall in three-point percentage and twentieth in scoring

NSIC Newcomer of the Year
    G - Trevon Evans, Sioux Falls (JR)

- Finished second in the NSIC with 22.3 points per game in league play, 21.4 overall
    - Registered five of his six 30+ point outings against NSIC foes with a career-high 42 at Northern State
    - Recorded 16 games of 20 points or more this seasons, including 13 in league play
    - With 598 points this season, including 468 in league play, set a new USF DII program mark; sits 12th all-time for a season in USF history
    - Averaging 2.29 three points field goals and 3.1 assists in league play
    - Twice registered back-to-back 30 point outings and had three double doubles
    - Three-time NSIC South Division Player of the Week in 2017-18
    - Helped USF to its best league record of 14-8 and most wins overall at DII level at 20

NSIC Coach of the Year
    Paul Sather, Northern State

- Led the Wolves to their first NSIC Overall Championship in 15 years and first North Division Championship in program history
    - Posted a 27-3 record overall and 20-2 mark in league action in the regular season
    - NSU has spent 12 weeks on the NABC Top-25 Poll sitting as high as No. 8 in the nation
    - The Wolves rank in the top-15 in the nation in scoring defense (65.4), scoring margin (+14.8), rebounding margin (+8.5), and field goal % (50.6)
    - Landed four student-athletes on the NSIC All-Conference teams, the most during his tenure at NSU
    - Coached one 1,000 point scorer in Darin Peterka in 2017-18
    - Notched the highest winning percentage of his career (.903), improving to 153-81 while at Northern State

All-NSIC First Team
    G - Jordan Spencer, Augustana (SR)
    G - Harrison Cleary, Minnesota-Crookston (SO)
    G - Charlie Brown, Minnesota State-Mankato (SR)
    G - Kevin Krieger, Minnesota State-Mankato (SO)
    F - Tyler Rudolph, Minot State (SR)
    G - Ian Smith, Northern State (JR)
    G - Trevon Evans, Sioux Falls (JR)
    G - Ryan Bruggeman, Southwest Minnesota State (JR)
    F/C - Jon Averkamp, St. Cloud State (SR)
    F/G - Gage Davis, St. Cloud State (JR)

All-NSIC Second Team
    F - Brandon Myer, Minnesota-Duluth (SO)
    G - Tanner Kretchman, Minnesota State-Moorhead (SR)
    G - Luis Ricci Maia, Minot State (SR)
    P - Logan Doyle, Northern State (SR)
    G - Darin Peterka, Northern State (SR)
    G - DJ Pollard, Northern State (SR)
    F - Drew Guebert, Sioux Falls (JR)
    C - Carter Kirk, Southwest Minnesota State (SR)
    G - Carson Parker, Upper Iowa (SR)
    G - Caleb Wagner, Winona State (SO)

All-NSIC Honorable Mention
    G - John Warren, Augustana (JR)
    G - Sharif Black, Bemidji State (SR)
    F - Sean Smith, St. Cloud State (JR)
    F - Kendall Jacks, Wayne State (JR)
    C - Tommy Gathje, Winona State (JR)

Re: NSIC Men's All-Conference Teams and Awards

My gripes in order of shamefulness the coaches should frel:

-Carter Evans getting zero recognition is an atrocity, he should be on second team instead of Kretchman, Ricci Maia, or Wagner. Even the newly created honorable mention category would have sufficed as Carter is more deserving than Gathje or Smith. Sure his numbers dont standout but anyone who watched Northern knows he would be a 1st teamer and DPOY candidate if he played for any other team in the league. Coaches who cant recognize his impact dont deserve a vote.
    -Carson Parker should've been on first team instead of Jordan Spencer, Charlie Brown, or Kevin Krieger.
    -Peterka missing 5 games (nearly 25% of NSIC play) and still making second team is suspect, injuries are suckily random but being available to play is the most valuable commodity of an all conference performer.
    -Jacks shouldve been on 2nd team instead of Kretchman
    Last edited by Augieholic; 02-22-2018, 03:03 PM.

Comment

I think Kirk deserved to be on first team, but not sure who I'd put him there over.

Comment

Originally posted by Augieholic View Post

-Carter Evans getting zero recognition is an atrocity, he should be on second team instead of Kretchman, Ricci Maia, or Wagner. Even the newly created honorable mention category would have sufficed as Carter is more deserving than Gathje or Smith. Sure his numbers dont standout but anyone who watched Northern knows he would be a 1st teamer and DPOY candidate if he played for any other team in the league. Coaches who cant recognize his impact dont deserve a vote.
        -Carson Parker should've been on first team instead of Jordan Spencer, Charlie Brown, or Kevin Krieger.
        -Peterka missing 5 games (nearly 25% of NSIC play) and still making second team is suspect, injuries are suckily random but being available to play is the most valuable commodity of an all conference performer.
        It is nice someone other than me calls out the Evans omission. He impacts other teams access to the paint more than any other player in the conference and guards the rim far better than Doyle, who is obviously a better scorer. DPOY
        I guess I am missing something but I saw NSU play Winona and he looked like a man among boys. Winona bigs getting recognized before Evans is a joke.

Comment

Originally posted by benchwarmer75 View Post
          It is nice someone other than me calls out the Evans omission. He impacts other teams access to the paint more than any other player in the conference and guards the rim far better than Doyle, who is obviously a better scorer. DPOY
          I guess I am missing something but I saw NSU play Winona and he looked like a man among boys. Winona bigs getting recognized before Evans is a joke.
          I saw Northern play in Sioux Falls on Thanksgiving weekend, and Evans was an absolute beast against MSSU. I haven't seen all the NSIC teams, but seeing him play 2 games so well that weekend, I can't see how he wasn't recognized.
          Last edited by mosofan1; 02-22-2018, 10:29 PM. Reason: Spelling

Comment

Originally posted by Augieholic View Post

Agree with you on Carter Evans.

Comment

My complaint is a simple one.

Carter Kirk not being on the first team is an atrocity. Complete Joke.

At first glance, I was like Stanger 86 -- who does he replace -- because all those 10 are deserving.

But, he not making it is a joke and a reflection of other coaches not liking him.

1. Led the league in rebounds -- by a WIDE margin
              2. Led the league in double - doubles
              3. Most important player for the Mustangs this year -- we lacked size and Carter (for the first time in his life) learned to play smart and stay out of foul trouble. Last year, we had the luxury if he got in foul trouble we still had Bartlett and Weg so we could weather the strom. This year, we had no such luxury and Carter playerd tons of minutes, played smart and played hard. And the stats were great.

Comment

Originally posted by benchwarmer75 View Post

Comment

Also think if not for a broken orbital Devin Whitelow could have a FOY contender.

Comment

Glad to read the comments. Just as benchwarmer said, especially with awards, I like to get a feel of other people's perspective on it. Carter has finally reached potential and it has made this season what it is. When you have four players in 1st of 2nd team, it's pretty tough to stand up and about about a snub. The Wolves are and almost always have been a very balanced team or scorers. Each does a role, or more very well. If we stay healthy, I think this could be very special just as I predicted after the end of last season. If we had Cole Dahl healthy it would add one more huge bench contributor. I hope we can enjoy this team for all it is worth the rest of the way. It may be awhile before we have something close to this. Belka looks like he will be a great big man in the future for us the way he is tearing up MN hoops right now, but part of this year's monster and mismatch advantage is having Doyle and Evans. I know people can do a lot of hypotheticals but this team only has one loss on the year when our starters are at full strength.

Comment

Originally posted by NSU4LIFE View Post
                      Glad to read the comments. Just as benchwarmer said, especially with awards, I like to get a feel of other people's perspective on it. Carter has finally reached potential and it has made this season what it is. When you have four players in 1st of 2nd team, it's pretty tough to stand up and about about a snub. The Wolves are and almost always have been a very balanced team or scorers. Each does a role, or more very well. If we stay healthy, I think this could be very special just as I predicted after the end of last season. If we had Cole Dahl healthy it would add one more huge bench contributor. I hope we can enjoy this team for all it is worth the rest of the way. It may be awhile before we have something close to this. Belka looks like he will be a great big man in the future for us the way he is tearing up MN hoops right now, but part of this year's monster and mismatch advantage is having Doyle and Evans. I know people can do a lot of hypotheticals but this team only has one loss on the year when our starters are at full strength.
                      Think Belka is going to be good player for northern but he is more of a wing than big man in my opinion. He will be able play in Post, but believe he will be more comfortable on perimeter as a long modern wing. See him as a potential ayob comparison from Moorhead last year.

Comment

Originally posted by Moorhead123 View Post
                        Think Belka is going to be good player for northern but he is more of a wing than big man in my opinion. He will be able play in Post, but believe he will be more comfortable on perimeter as a long modern wing. See him as a potential ayob comparison from Moorhead last year.
                        If not him or Balcome we are looking at Jordre or Decker at the post...c'mon Bergan!

Comment

Was surprised Parker wasn't a repeat on 1st team - we lost 4 1,000 point scorers and defensive POY from last years team and he just picked this team up on his back. If anything this year's performance more impressive then last year (stat wise). Anyhow - know these things are somewhat subjective and political. With that being said very happy to see Smoldt as freshman of the year - heck of a season for a freshman. Glad we have 3 more years of him!

Comment

Originally posted by Peacock View Post
                            Was surprised Parker wasn't a repeat on 1st team - we lost 4 1,000 point scorers and defensive POY from last years team and he just picked this team up on his back. If anything this year's performance more impressive then last year (stat wise). Anyhow - know these things are somewhat subjective and political. With that being said very happy to see Smoldt as freshman of the year - heck of a season for a freshman. Glad we have 3 more years of him!
                            Good point.

You could argue that the team not doing as well as last year was why, but then SMSU had another good year and Carter Kirk was only second team so those facts contradict each other.

Comes down to only 10 spots on the first team and it is just really hard to make it. So many great players and to limit it to 10 is very hard.

Comment

Let's compare the two years.....

First of all, take away the three seniors (Jefferson, Fuqua, Lien) from the 2017 first team. That's actually a pretty low number. Then you start to look at the guys who made it last year and this year. Spencer, Rudolph, Buggeman and Davis are the four repeats. So there are six spots available....

Those spots went to Harrison Cleary, Charlie Brown, Kevin Krieger, Ian Smith, Trevon Evans and Jon Averkamp. With exception to Cleary and Evans (both very deserving), they went with players on some of the league's best teams.

Personally, I would've left Krieger off the list though. He's only a sophomore. The only categories he finished in the Top 10 in conference play were 3-point percentage and free throw percentage. Kirk and Parker are seniors. Kirk was the league's top rebounder by almost 2 per game, the only player to average a double-double and on the top team in the South. Parker was a Top 10 scorer, only 0.3 rebounds worse than Krieger, Top 5 in assists.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X