Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Scheel Resigns at NWMSU

Originally posted by Alfred33 View Post
    I agree and he's put in his time. I would think those opportunities would begin to present themselves even if it's not at Northwest. Ben had Northwest ties, but he was hired as an assistant from another MIAA coaching staff.
    As a fan, I definitely think he'd be a worthy candidate for the women's team, but if he'd prefer to stay in the men's game, taking over this women's program could be a bad move. I have no knowledge of Austin's mindset, and maybe Northwest is the only place he wants to be, but as far as his career is concerned, I think he could do better. There is nothing wrong with coaching women, but I think once you go that route, you tend to stay there... I know it would be a raise from where he is now, but what was it - $30-$40K difference in salary between Ben and Buck? I guess we'll find out soon enough what his intentions might be.
    I just looked it up... almost $60,000.

Comment

Originally posted by CatFan88 View Post
      Guess we don't need an A.D. then. Save some budget money and let assistants handle day to day operations.
      SMSU's women's basketball program was set back a decade by a power move from "the top," from what I've heard. Program was three years removed from consecutive NCAA Tournaments and had totaled 122 wins over the previous six seasons.

Comment

Originally posted by NWHoops View Post
        I think Ben's name has come up but I don't know how connected those sources are. Kim Anderson did no D2 coaches any favors in trying to make the leap to D1. If you look at people with connections to the program in Springfield then they are listing current D1 head coaches (including some Power 5 options), Power 5 assistants, etc. While I believe he could go there and be successful, I don't think they could sell that hire to a fanbase at an institution that is one of the top programs (from a potential aspect) in the MVC.

As for Scheel, he is a great guy but the team was not just out-talented but also out-coached on a game to game basis. And that's not even touching on the way he came to be in the position in the first place which was comical, at best.
        That may be partly true, but I can't think of a worse situation then what Kim walked into at Missouri. This wasn't a lower level D1... it was a Power 5 conference dumpster fire. MU did the right thing for the program by moving on... I don't think Kim would've been able to dig them out of it no matter how much time he had, but I did feel bad for him.

Comment

Originally posted by Alfred33 View Post
          That may be partly true, but I can't think of a worse situation then what Kim walked into at Missouri. This wasn't a lower level D1... it was a Power 5 conference dumpster fire. MU did the right thing for the program by moving on... I don't think Kim would've been able to dig them out of it no matter how much time he had, but I did feel bad for him.
          Not disagreeing with anything you said however many fanbases aren't going to be that tuned in to the situation. They are going to see D2 MIAA head coach went to a D1 school and failed drastically. Then, a current D1 head coach came in and turned it around in 1 year.

I know it's not that simple but from outsiders perspectives, that is what they are going to see.

Comment

Originally posted by NWHoops View Post
            Not disagreeing with anything you said however many fanbases aren't going to be that tuned in to the situation. They are going to see D2 MIAA head coach went to a D1 school and failed drastically. Then, a current D1 head coach came in and turned it around in 1 year.

I know it's not that simple but from outsiders perspectives, that is what they are going to see.
            The fan base in Springfield may be more tuned in. There are 2 D2 schools within an hour of Springfield that play in the MIAA, along with Drury being right in Springfield. The Missouri State fan base may be familiar with NW's success, and the fact that Ben is a young up-and-coming coach. Completely different than Kim Anderson going to Missouri.

Comment

Originally posted by mosofan1 View Post
              The fan base in Springfield may be more tuned in. There are 2 D2 schools within an hour of Springfield that play in the MIAA, along with Drury being right in Springfield. The Missouri State fan base may be familiar with NW's success, and the fact that Ben is a young up-and-coming coach. Completely different than Kim Anderson going to Missouri.
              I'm with you. I also don't think of Missouri State as a destination type job...It's a stepping stone at a lower level D1. If someone is successful there, they'll move on just like Cuonzo Martin did. I think their supporters have to know that, and with that, it makes it easier to take a chance on a guy like Ben. Outside of Ben being a successful D2 coach, it's difficult for me to relate one situation to the other. Again, this is all speculation... I don't know if Ben is even on their radar. It's just been part of the local gossip since the firing. I'll start a new rumor... with Boschee's D1 playing background and basically being in their backyard, he could be a more likely candidate than Ben. How about that? ;)
              Last edited by Alfred33; 03-07-2018, 12:50 PM.

Comment

MVC basketball took a major hit when Wichita St. and Creighton left. I don't know that it would even be considered a good mid-major conference in basketball at this point. The question is can Missouri St. pony up the cash for a Power 5 guy or assistant? I think Boschee and McCollum are on the Missouri St. radar. Maybe not on short list but radar. If NW wins another NC, McCollum will get some serious looks if he isn't already. Tons of speculation in town that Ben is gone if he gets the NC this year. If that happens, the job is Meyer's.
                Go Hounds!
                B-E-A-R-C-A-T-S
                Cyclone Power
                ERAU Eagles Soar

Comment

MVC basketball took a major hit when Wichita St. and Creighton left. I don't know that it would even be considered a good mid-major conference in basketball at this point. The question is can Missouri St. pony up the cash for a Power 5 guy or assistant? I think Boschee and McCollum are on the Missouri St. radar. Maybe not on short list but radar. If NW wins another NC, McCollum will get some serious looks if he isn't already. Tons of speculation in town that Ben is gone if he gets the NC this year. If that happens, the job is Meyer's.
                  Let's go Bearcats!

Comment

Comment

Actually the Drury coach has a good track record. I don't know how the Missouri State people feel about him but he would be comparable to Boshee I thought maybe Drake would go after McCollum after last year but as another member posted why leave when Pitts has another year.

Comment

MVC basketball took a major hit when Wichita St. and Creighton left. I don't know that it would even be considered a good mid-major conference in basketball at this point.
                        I think you're absolutely right.

I was tweeting about this during the Summit League title game, but I'd love to see a split/merger of the MVC, Summit and MVFC into a football/non-football split, similar to what we saw happen with the Big East and AAC. Get the Illinois schools and MO State and UNI, etc with the Dakotas in all sports, while the teams like Oral Roberts, Omaha, etc can join up with the non-football Missouri Valleys. The Dakotas maybe wouldn't elevate the conference to where the MVC once was, but I think it'd be an improvement.

Comment

Originally posted by Mule4ever View Post
                          Actually the Drury coach has a good track record. I don't know how the Missouri State people feel about him but he would be comparable to Boshee I thought maybe Drake would go after McCollum after last year but as another member posted why leave when Pitts has another year.
                          He could be on radar too. Never know.

On the other hand, the flip could be true for NW. As McCollum and Co. continue to rack up wins, MIAA championships, post-season tourney appearances and perhaps NC's, it will be harder for NW to pony up the cash to keep him around. There was this football coach at NW you might know about. He got pay raises and some 6 or 7 figure annuity to keep him around for awhile. Not to mention the students and fans ponied up a brand new stadium complete with ammenities that were pretty good at the time (now there's a full scale arms race going on in MIAA football). Who's to say McCollum won't want the same or similar treatment?
                          Last edited by CatFan88; 03-08-2018, 06:31 AM.
                          Go Hounds!
                          B-E-A-R-C-A-T-S
                          Cyclone Power
                          ERAU Eagles Soar

Comment

Originally posted by Stanger86 View Post
                            I think you're absolutely right.

I was tweeting about this during the Summit League title game, but I'd love to see a split/merger of the MVC, Summit and MVFC into a football/non-football split, similar to what we saw happen with the Big East and AAC. Get the Illinois schools and MO State and UNI, etc with the Dakotas in all sports, while the teams like Oral Roberts, Omaha, etc can join up with the non-football Missouri Valleys. The Dakotas maybe wouldn't elevate the conference to where the MVC once was, but I think it'd be an improvement.
                            Otzelberger was a very good get for SDSU. I still think Prohm was the right guy for Iowa St., but Otzelberger was a close second.
                            Go Hounds!
                            B-E-A-R-C-A-T-S
                            Cyclone Power
                            ERAU Eagles Soar

Comment

The University of Pittsburgh just parted ways with Head Coach Stallings, a big name coach could find Springfield a good spot for a Redemption Tour. Obviously not a spot for a MIAA coach in Central Missouri to go for Redemption I say tongue in check.
                              Last edited by Mule4ever; 03-08-2018, 01:03 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mule4ever View Post
                                No disrespect to Boschee at all, but his accomplishments as a head coach aren't anywhere close to the same as Steve Hesser.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X