Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: SBU Leaves the MIAA for the GLVC

Originally posted by vikingfaithful View Post
    Really a strange name for the conference when you see the geography of teams.
    Makes about as much sense as the Big 10 (or just B1G, whatever they call themselves) and the Big XII. Or the Big East in basketball, which makes me think Omaha, NE. We could probably go on and on :)

Comment

Really a strange name for the conference when you see the geography of teams.
      The original conference was 3 Indiana schools, 2 Kentucky schools and 1 Ohio school.

Comment

In the olden days (15 years ago), I bet this move would be similar to if a school left the NCC for the NSIC. Seems most of the GLVC schools don't have the profile of the MIAA.

Comment

Originally posted by DUFan View Post
          When SBU enters the GLVC the GLVC will have 8 schools in Missouri and the MIAA will have 6.
          Before the MIAA became the Mid-American IAA, the M stood for Missouri, and it was made up of all Missouri schools. Seems there's now a smaller percentage of MO schools than ever.

Comment

Do any GLAC schools field a football team?

Comment

Originally posted by Stanger86 View Post
              BTW I think it's kinda crazy that MO has 14 Division II programs. By comparison, MN only has 9. Division II in MN is hurt by the strong Division III tradition in the state. I wish we'd have more teams move up, even if they'd have a hard time competing. I just want more teams.
              Hey Stanger86, this is Karl Salscheider. I've been absent from the forum since spring, but saw your post and thought I would comment. Actually, I think MN has plenty of D2 schools, especially if neighboring institutions are considered. To the east, WI has 1, to the south, IA has 1 and to the west, ND 2 and SD 5. Expanding out from there, MI has 10, IL 4, IN 5, MO 13, KS 5 and NE 3. On the other side of this, I would like to see SCSU and Mankato move up to D1. I've never liked the monopoly UMTC has had in D1 in our state (hockey excluded). For What it's Worth...(hey Laker, that's a title of a 60s song sung by?)

Comment

Originally posted by CoachSalscheider View Post
                Hey Stanger86, this is Karl Salscheider. I've been absent from the forum since spring, but saw your post and thought I would comment. Actually, I think MN has plenty of D2 schools, especially if neighboring institutions are considered. To the east, WI has 1, to the south, IA has 1 and to the west, ND 2 and SD 5. Expanding out from there, MI has 10, IL 4, IN 5, MO 13, KS 5 and NE 3. On the other side of this, I would like to see SCSU and Mankato move up to D1. I've never liked the monopoly UMTC has had in D1 in our state (hockey excluded). For What it's Worth...(hey Laker, that's a title of a 60s song sung by?)
                Easy one. Buffalo Springfield, written by Stephen Stills. A classic.

"What a field day for the heat- thousands of people in the street- singing songs, and a carrying signs- mostly say hurray for our side."

Comment

Do any GLAC schools field a football team?
                  The GLIAC has ten football teams. The GLVC will have nine football teams.

Comment

Originally posted by laker View Post
                    Easy one. Buffalo Springfield, written by Stephen Stills. A classic.

"What a field day for the heat- thousands of people in the street- singing songs, and a carrying signs- mostly say hurray for our side."
                    Laker: Actually, the verse you cited is quite profound and applicable for today, IMO. BUT, what makes this song so unique?

Comment

Laker: Actually, the verse you cited is quite profound and applicable for today, IMO. BUT, what makes this song so unique?
                      I think the slow, twangy beginning. It captivates your attention immediately.

Comment

Originally posted by laker View Post
                        I think the slow, twangy beginning. It captivates your attention immediately.
                        Laker: Certainly that is a legitimate aspect of the song, but what I was looking for was: the song, "For what it's worth" is one of only a handful of songs with lyrics that does not have the actual words of the title sung in the song itself. Sorry everyone for this meaningless distraction, but I almost, or kinda stumped Laker. ;-)

Comment

Laker: Certainly that is a legitimate aspect of the song, but what I was looking for was: the song, "For what it's worth" is one of only a handful of songs with lyrics that does not have the actual words of the title sung in the song itself. Sorry everyone for this meaningless distraction, but I almost, or kinda stumped Laker. ;-)
                          I happen to be a fan of trivia.

Comment

At the time, everyone in high school called it either "There's Something Happening Here" or "Stop, Children What's That Sound". I never did find out why they gave it that title. I didn't know the real title for a long time. And then of course Stephen Stills joined Crosby & Nash.

Comment

I thought of a few immediately right off my head.

Blur - Song 2
                              Bowie - Space Oddity

http://www.songfacts.com/category-so...the_lyrics.php

They don't list...

Live - Lakini's Juice (and I can think of several others from Live)

Comment

Originally posted by Brandon View Post
                                I thought of a few immediately right off my head.

Blur - Song 2
                                Bowie - Space Oddity

http://www.songfacts.com/category-so...the_lyrics.php

They don't list...

Live - Lakini's Juice (and I can think of several others from Live)
                                Wow Brandon. You and your list takes this to another level. In my circle, it was just "For What it's Worth" and "Space Oddity" that were part of my handful of songs with no title in the lyrics. Had no idea there was another world of music out there where this was more frequent.

Dapper: Next time you get a trivia enlightenment, consider starting a trivia thread on this board. That would be cool.

Laker: Another day in the 70s here in Bemidji, stay cool down there which I suppose is in the truck or inside.

Southwest Baptist: I suppose you made this move to generally face more comparably-sized universities.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X