Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Northern State MBB & WBB leads nation in attendance for 11th straight year

Link: http://northernsun.org/news/2018/7/9...ht-season.aspx

The Northern State University men's and women's basketball programs earned their 11th straight NCAA national attendance crowns, as announced by the NCAA. Both men's and women's programs topped the Division II ranks this season as the men averaged 3,732 fans per game, which was over 1,100 more than the runner-up, Dixie State. The women's team averaged 3,056 fans per game, over 1,000 fans more than runner-up Fort Hays State.

On the men's side the NSIC finished third in the nation averaging 1,049 fans per contest but did lead the nation in overall attendance with 259,719. Augustana was third in the nation with 2,421 fans per game while Southwest Minnesota State (1,800) was 18th in the nation. A total of 55,980 fans attended Northern State home contests this season. The NSIC also tallied the third, fourth, and fifth highly attended games this past season with two coming over NSU's annual "I Hate Winter" weekend. The third highly attended game was Northern State vs. Southwest Minnesota State on January 27 with 5,844 fans. A total of 5,523 fans were at NSU the previous evening when the Wolves took on Sioux Falls, while 5,390 fans watched the Wolves against Minnesota State-Moorhead on December 15.

On the women's side, the NSIC finished second in the nation averaging 813 fans per game with Augustana ranking third with 1,945, St. Cloud State was 16th with 1,026 and Minnesota State-Moorhead 24th with 896 fans per contest. In total, 42,788 fans watched the Wolves from Wachs Arena and the Barnett Center. That total also ranked them in the Top-40 across all divisions, sitting 39th on that list of over 1,200 institutions. In addition to the total and average attendance numbers, Northern tallied the three highly attended games in the nation this past season. They tallied 4,677 fans versus Minnesota State-Moorhead on December 15, 4,639 fans versus Southwest Minnesota State on January 27 and 4,395 fans versus Augustana on January 13.

Re: Northern State MBB & WBB leads nation in attendance for 11th straight y

NSU attendance is way over South Dakotas 2 vaunted D1 schools. Augustana's attendance was down with a 16-14 season. Fickle fans!

Comment

Originally posted by wscsuperfan View Post
      Link: http://northernsun.org/news/2018/7/9...ht-season.aspx

The Northern State University men's and women's basketball programs earned their 11th straight NCAA national attendance crowns, as announced by the NCAA. Both men's and women's programs topped the Division II ranks this season as the men averaged 3,732 fans per game, which was over 1,100 more than the runner-up, Dixie State. The women's team averaged 3,056 fans per game, over 1,000 fans more than runner-up Fort Hays State.

On the men's side the NSIC finished third in the nation averaging 1,049 fans per contest but did lead the nation in overall attendance with 259,719. Augustana was third in the nation with 2,421 fans per game while Southwest Minnesota State (1,800) was 18th in the nation. A total of 55,980 fans attended Northern State home contests this season. The NSIC also tallied the third, fourth, and fifth highly attended games this past season with two coming over NSU's annual "I Hate Winter" weekend. The third highly attended game was Northern State vs. Southwest Minnesota State on January 27 with 5,844 fans. A total of 5,523 fans were at NSU the previous evening when the Wolves took on Sioux Falls, while 5,390 fans watched the Wolves against Minnesota State-Moorhead on December 15.

On the women's side, the NSIC finished second in the nation averaging 813 fans per game with Augustana ranking third with 1,945, St. Cloud State was 16th with 1,026 and Minnesota State-Moorhead 24th with 896 fans per contest. In total, 42,788 fans watched the Wolves from Wachs Arena and the Barnett Center. That total also ranked them in the Top-40 across all divisions, sitting 39th on that list of over 1,200 institutions. In addition to the total and average attendance numbers, Northern tallied the three highly attended games in the nation this past season. They tallied 4,677 fans versus Minnesota State-Moorhead on December 15, 4,639 fans versus Southwest Minnesota State on January 27 and 4,395 fans versus Augustana on January 13.
      I'm curious how they measure women's attendance as fans tend to filter in as the game progresses awaiting the start of the men's contest and one ticket is good for both games.

Comment

Saw on Twitter that the MIAA, CIAA and NSIC all outdrew the Division I Northeast Conference in average attendance.

Comment

Originally posted by DapperDan View Post
          I'm curious how they measure women's attendance as fans tend to filter in as the game progresses awaiting the start of the men's contest and one ticket is good for both games.
          I'm 99% positive the divide happens at halftime of the women's game.

Comment

Originally posted by Stanger86 View Post
            I'm 99% positive the divide happens at halftime of the women's game.
            That would make sense.

Comment

I get to the women's game for the tip and stay the whole night. But I doubt if I get counted twice.

Comment

Originally posted by laker View Post
                I get to the women's game for the tip and stay the whole night. But I doubt if I get counted twice.
                You bring up a good point, there are at least 800-1000 people at AU games that do that.

Comment

Originally posted by vikingfaithful View Post
                  You bring up a good point, there are at least 800-1000 people at AU games that do that.
                  A lot of folks at WSC games come for both as well

Comment

Originally posted by laker View Post
                    Don't you think they count everyone that goes before halftime of the women's game as going to the men's as well? If you do that my guess would be you do get counted twice. Otherwise men's attendance would be significantly under-reported. The women likely get the bonus because most people arriving after the tip are really being drawn to the men's game.

Comment

Don't you think they count everyone that goes before halftime of the women's game as going to the men's as well? If you do that my guess would be you do get counted twice. Otherwise men's attendance would be significantly under-reported. The women likely get the bonus because most people arriving after the tip are really being drawn to the men's game.
                      Maybe that's how Northern gets all of these attendance records....

Comment

Originally posted by Stanger86 View Post
                        Maybe that's how Northern gets all of these attendance records....
                        Here we go again...

Comment

damn impressive

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X