Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: NWMSU

Originally posted by Stanger86 View Post
    Looks like you might be misremembering? It was up 4 with 40 seconds left in regulation. Still bad, but not quite as bad.

https://nsic_ftp.sidearmsports.com/c...7/melite8s.htm
    So close, best UCM team of all time from a talent standpoint. Even better than Kim's team that won the national title. Winona was also incredible, Jonte Flowers couldn't miss that game. I know NWMSU went undefeated and won the natty this year but honestly from watching them I don't think they beat that Winona or UCM team.

Comment

Originally posted by nerdmachine View Post
      So close, best UCM team of all time from a talent standpoint. Even better than Kim's team that won the national title. Winona was also incredible, Jonte Flowers couldn't miss that game. I know NWMSU went undefeated and won the natty this year but honestly from watching them I don't think they beat that Winona or UCM team.
      I can't really compare them to either of the teams you speak of, but I bet we guard as well as anybody either of those teams played. I do think this 2019 team compares favorably to the 2017 National Championship Bearcats. I think defensively, it's probably a wash, but there are just more options offensively with this group. Two, guys that could go get a bucket when needed as opposed to really only one. Hudgens, statistically and amazingly, replaced Justin Pitts production as a RS freshman... that amazes me. Joey Witthus is the scorer that we didn't really have to go with Pitts in 2017. Even though we were probably more of a traditional squad with some bigger stronger inside players in 2017, the rebounding numbers are very similar. It just crazy to me to think that the year after we lost probably the best player to ever wear a Northwest jersey, we may have fielded the best team we've ever had. The future looks great too... that said, every year is different and things have to bounce your way to win a national championship, but we should definitely maintain our national relevancy for the next several years. It's been and hopefully will continue to be a fun ride.

Comment

Originally posted by nerdmachine View Post
        While I don't know if your assessment is accurate, it does show the greatest thing about sports. A team only has to be the best in a single year. I've seen a lot of bragging from football teams that historical Pitt State and Northwest teams would kick the absolute crap out of.

Comment

Originally posted by Alfred33 View Post
          I can't really compare them to either of the teams you speak of, but I bet we guard as well as anybody either of those teams played. I do think this 2019 team compares favorably to the 2017 National Championship Bearcats. I think defensively, it's probably a wash, but there are just more options offensively with this group. Two, guys that could go get a bucket when needed as opposed to really only one. Hudgens, statistically and amazingly, replaced Justin Pitts production as a RS freshman... that amazes me. Joey Witthus is the scorer that we didn't really have to go with Pitts in 2017. Even though we were probably more of a traditional squad with some bigger stronger inside players in 2017, the rebounding numbers are very similar. It just crazy to me to think that the year after we lost probably the best player to ever wear a Northwest jersey, we may have fielded the best team we've ever had. The future looks great too... that said, every year is different and things have to bounce your way to win a national championship, but we should definitely maintain our national relevancy for the next several years. It's been and hopefully will continue to be a fun ride.
          2007 UCM team would have had no issues scoring against the NWMS team at all. This team was slow a foot. They did the good old let me put my hands up and walk into you as you shoot or jump for a rebound better than any team i have seen. Ben does a good job of teaching them this as you can tell its something taught. I think overall D2 has been down the past 4-5 years as more guys are going smaller D1. Not taking away anything from NWMS they are the best team in D2 this past year and they proved that congrats!

Comment

Originally posted by fanofnsic View Post
            They did the good old let me put my hands up and walk into you as you shoot or jump for a rebound better than any team i have seen. Ben does a good job of teaching them this as you can tell its something taught.

Comment

2007 UCM team would have had no issues scoring against the NWMS team at all. This team was slow a foot. They did the good old let me put my hands up and walk into you as you shoot or jump for a rebound better than any team i have seen. Ben does a good job of teaching them this as you can tell its something taught. I think overall D2 has been down the past 4-5 years as more guys are going smaller D1. Not taking away anything from NWMS they are the best team in D2 this past year and they proved that congrats!

Comment

I struggle with what "more dominant" means. If your defense has to gameplan around you, then it's harder to gauge how good someone really is because the best team in the country did everything to stop you and you still put up 26. I'm no NBA scout either, so I don't know what his chances are or not. If nothing else, I don't know how he could leave a year early. I understand why he'd try, since he's missed so much time with injuries, but you have to blow people away at D2 to even get a sniff.

Comment

I'm not sure what having better athletes has to do with being a better team. 2017 Fairmont St. team looked All-World in the warm-up drills...

Comment

it usually helps but 10 min in nothing scary about that team (fs '17). those cm teams were more skilled along with looking the part.

i spent most of sat thinking pl was going to catch us. & frankly a couple prayers at the end of shot clock's/1h is what kept them at bay.
                    Go Bearcats!
                    M-I-Z-Z-O-U!

Comment

Originally posted by IowaBearcat View Post
                      I struggle with what "more dominant" means. If your defense has to gameplan around you, then it's harder to gauge how good someone really is because the best team in the country did everything to stop you and you still put up 26. I'm no NBA scout either, so I don't know what his chances are or not. If nothing else, I don't know how he could leave a year early. I understand why he'd try, since he's missed so much time with injuries, but you have to blow people away at D2 to even get a sniff.
                      i agree.
                      the fadaway 3's he chucked up were appreciated though.
                      Go Bearcats!
                      M-I-Z-Z-O-U!

Comment

• Last edited by NWFanatic; 04-02-2019, 09:14 AM.

Comment

No surprise here but Ben is NABC D2 COY again!
                          Congrats Ben!!

Comment

Originally posted by northwest missouri state View Post
                            it usually helps but 10 min in nothing scary about that team (fs '17). those cm teams were more skilled along with looking the part.

i spent most of sat thinking pl was going to catch us. & frankly a couple prayers at the end of shot clock's/1h is what kept them at bay.
                            That's my point, looking the part athletically has nothing to do with who the better team is.

Having skilled athletes is obviously better than having skilled non athletes.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by NWHoops View Post
                                I'm not sure what having better athletes has to do with being a better team. 2017 Fairmont St. team looked All-World in the warm-up drills...

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X