Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: NWMSU

Originally posted by nerdmachine View Post
    So close, best UCM team of all time from a talent standpoint. Even better than Kim's team that won the national title. Winona was also incredible, Jonte Flowers couldn't miss that game. I know NWMSU went undefeated and won the natty this year but honestly from watching them I don't think they beat that Winona or UCM team.
    I'm still a bit bitter about how that season ended, to be honest. We really should've been in the regional. I know it would've been as the 8 seed and we probably would've lost, but I don't care. Hardly anyone played Winona as closely as Southwest did that season. Winona had five games decided by single digits during the conference season....two of those were against Southwest and the third matchup was a 10-point margin (1-point game with 6 minutes left).

Southwest was 20-10 that season. Five losses were to ranked opponents, none ranked worse than No. 16.

No. 16 USD 78, SMSU 68
    No. 8 MSU 55, SMSU 50
    No. 1 WSU 76, SMSU 71
    No. 1 WSU 68, SMSU 59
    No. 1 WSU 80, SMSU 70

Instead, St Cloud got in, probably because they beat us by 3 points in overtime at their place earlier in the year. Winona beat St Cloud 100-73 in the first round.

Comment

Agree, and to add to it from the free throw line, Hommes 10-10, the rest of PL 1-7!

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by IowaBearcat View Post
          I struggle with what "more dominant" means. If your defense has to gameplan around you, then it's harder to gauge how good someone really is because the best team in the country did everything to stop you and you still put up 26. I'm no NBA scout either, so I don't know what his chances are or not. If nothing else, I don't know how he could leave a year early. I understand why he'd try, since he's missed so much time with injuries, but you have to blow people away at D2 to even get a sniff.

Comment

I've started to get nostalgic for that era of the NSIC. Found the 2007 NSIC title game online today. We lost, but still kinda fun to look back at. I got curious about how we held up against John Smith. He didn't score more than 15 points against us until that game, three years in and the 8th matchup of his career. In those first three years, he averaged 13.4 ppg and 10.4 rebounds against Southwest.

Comment

Originally posted by Stanger86 View Post
              I'm still a bit bitter about how that season ended, to be honest. We really should've been in the regional. I know it would've been as the 8 seed and we probably would've lost, but I don't care. Hardly anyone played Winona as closely as Southwest did that season. Winona had five games decided by single digits during the conference season....two of those were against Southwest and the third matchup was a 10-point margin (1-point game with 6 minutes left).

Southwest was 20-10 that season. Five losses were to ranked opponents, none ranked worse than No. 16.

No. 16 USD 78, SMSU 68
              No. 8 MSU 55, SMSU 50
              No. 1 WSU 76, SMSU 71
              No. 1 WSU 68, SMSU 59
              No. 1 WSU 80, SMSU 70

Instead, St Cloud got in, probably because they beat us by 3 points in overtime at their place earlier in the year. Winona beat St Cloud 100-73 in the first round.

Comment

He's the best D2 post player I've ever seen and it's not close. That 07 game against Winona will always haunt me. If Theo catches that ball on the inbounds play the mules are going to the ship to play Barton (Jones was the best FT shooter on the team). Jonte Flowers couldn't miss anything that game and Zack Wright showed why he was robbed of MIAA POY with I believe 32 pts? You don't see teams like UCM or Winona 07 anymore because those fringe kids go d1 or some transfer up to d1 now.

Comment

I saw the NBA potential for sure. 6'8', beautiful shot, athletic, could handle the ball. NWMSU was all over him the entire game and he made the correct play by giving it up usually. Also any NWMSU fans that say they'd rather have Witthus over him is homering big time. Dude had an off game and clearly worse players around him to help yet still dropped 26. He's Joey's size with the same shooting ability but way more athletic and I guarantee he can play defense from watching some of his games.

Comment

I saw the NBA potential for sure. 6'8', beautiful shot, athletic, could handle the ball. NWMSU was all over him the entire game and he made the correct play by giving it up usually. Also any NWMSU fans that say they'd rather have Witthus over him is homering big time. Dude had an off game and clearly worse players around him to help yet still dropped 26. He's Joey's size with the same shooting ability but way more athletic and I guarantee he can play defense from watching some of his games.
                    I'd like to have them both. :) Hommes is very athletic and would be a phenomenal defender with Mac in his ear all the time. I wasn't one of them that said it, but Joey's our guy now, great kid that bought into Northwest and became part of the community. Not to mention, he's a national champion. We love him, so yeah, we are completely obligated to say that. ;)

Comment

Zack Wright still making $$$$.Overseas, he had three years at I believe UALR. Was a friend of of the UCM point guard and they joined together for their last year. To make a run you have to get a couple of these type players. Northwest is on a roll with the current coach he has the winning program and the type of talent needed to succeed figured out. At first he tried to build a team to beat UCM and now he is beating all D2 schools and UCM can't make the conference tournament makes a hard core fan nuts

Comment

Ah yes, that '08 seeding was probably the worse of the two, you're right. Admittedly, I'm biased towards that 2007 team though.

Though we didn't play Winona in the '08 conference tourney. We lost to Northern in the semis in the snowstorm game you're referencing. That was the 29-4 Northern team that lost all four games to WSU.

Comment

Comment

Basketball Times agrees with NW fans and picks Joey as their D2 POY(and Ben as their COY)!

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Stanger86 View Post
                                Ah yes, that '08 seeding was probably the worse of the two, you're right. Admittedly, I'm biased towards that 2007 team though.

Though we didn't play Winona in the '08 conference tourney. We lost to Northern in the semis in the snowstorm game you're referencing. That was the 29-4 Northern team that lost all four games to WSU.
                                This one.

https://winonastatewarriors.com/news...723100924.aspx

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X