• Show
Clear All

• GrifFan
    replied
    Highlights!

Leave a comment:

• GrifFan
    replied
    Both teams remain unbeaten at Looney. Huge win for the women, 75-58 points over No. 10 ranked Fort Hays State. This team can flat out defend, holding Hays to a season low in points, almost 20 points below their average. The 75 points was also the most the Tigers had given up all year (almost 20 points higher than their average). Huge night from Simone Walker with a career-high 21 points, and another double-double from Corbyn Cunningham. Now they face a Kearney team that has won six straight.

The men expected to win over a Hays team that had just one win in conference, and it showed, jumping out to a 12-0 lead and only twice seeing the lead dip below double digits, both in the first half on the way to a 79-63 win. Coach Smith made the observation late in the game that it had been a long time since the Griffons had a wire-to-wire game that was never really in doubt in league play, and that got me curious so I looked back. Last year at SBU was close - the Bearcats scored the first bucket but the Griffons led by double digits most of the way. Otherwise you may have to go back to the upset of Washburn in the first round of the MIAA tournament in 2016, where the Griffons built a 15-4 lead and it got down to 9 a few times but never closer. Not a particularly well-played game, but it was great to see big games from Will Eames (18 points, 8 boards, 7-11 from the field in just 28 minutes) and Jaron Thames (12 pts, 9 rebs) in addition to the usual from TC and Milhollin.

Leave a comment:

• GrifFan
    replied
    Wasn't able to watch the games at Northwest, but listened to most. It was good to see TC come alive in the second half after a rough first--a guy that can score 20 points in 27 minutes needs to avoid foul trouble. With nobody else but Milhollin contributing much offensively, it was a good effort to keep it as close as it was.

Good win for the women, never really giving your rival much hope on their home floor.

Hays and Kearney come to town Thursday and Friday--really big games on the women's side, with all three having just two losses in conference play.

Leave a comment:

• GrifFan
    replied
    Both teams fall behind early at Emporia Saturday and didn't have enough in the tank to complete the comeback. The women scored 34 points in the fourth quarter to get what had been a 22-point deficit down to three with less than a minute to play, but the Hornets hit their free throws to seal the deal 74-70.

The men made their run a little earlier, but likewise got no closer than 3 points with 7 minutes to play and ESU pulled away 81-68.

A full week between games before going to Maryville Saturday.

Leave a comment:

• Thunder
    replied
    I absolutely love what Mo West does with their social media. I've seen more clips and posts from them than I have Northern over the past 2 seasons. Sunny is great for content, but they seem to have the same coverage for all of their sports. I didn't know anything about the Griffons prior to Sunny's arrival, but I'd have to believe fans are pleased with the direction of the program. Consider me a fan and I'd love to see a matchup someday between the 2 programs.

Leave a comment:

• GrifFan
    replied
    Washburn made twice as many FTs as the Griffons attempted last night.

Meanwhile the Griffon women continue to roll.

Leave a comment:

• GrifFan
    replied

Leave a comment:

• GrifFan
    replied
    Originally posted by MisterWizard View Post
    Your announcer is fun to listen to in tight games, and Tom Smith is absolutely awesome with his insight!
    Agreed!

Leave a comment:

• MisterWizard
    replied
    Your announcer is fun to listen to in tight games, and Tom Smith is absolutely awesome with his insight!

Leave a comment:

• GrifFan
    replied
    Women move to 9-0 at home, and the men 5-0, with the doubleheader sweep over Northeastern.

Gritty OT win for the men, 76-71. TC kept them alive in the first half, then disappeared in the second before going on a 7-0 run in OT to help seal the deal. Solid defensive effort--NSU had six more offensive rebounds than MWSU, 20-14, but MWSU got more second-chance points, 23-21. The Griffons do not make the return trip to NSU or Rogers State, so these were two big wins.

The women led 19-7 after the first quarter and never looked back, winning 85-63. Really defended well in the first half.

Leave a comment:

• GrifFan
    replied
    Impressive win for the Griffon men to start 2020 with a sweep at Looney.

Leave a comment:

• libertybearcat
    replied
    Originally posted by GrifFan View Post

Yep - of course they gave up 13. :)
    So, what you're saying is...not a lot of Defense played in OT! :)

Leave a comment:

• GrifFan
    replied
    Originally posted by libertybearcat View Post

Put up 20 in the 5 minute OT? Impressive!
    Yep - of course they gave up 13. :)

Leave a comment:

• libertybearcat
    replied
    Originally posted by GrifFan View Post
    TC back in action, but played just 20 minutes with foul trouble and the Griffons fall at Illinois-Springfield 90-76.

The women with a gut-check OT win in the road doubleheader, surrendering a significant lead in regulation but scoring 20 points in the extra period for the 84-77 win.
    Put up 20 in the 5 minute OT? Impressive!

Leave a comment:

• GrifFan
    replied
    TC back in action, but played just 20 minutes with foul trouble and the Griffons fall at Illinois-Springfield 90-76.

The women with a gut-check OT win in the road doubleheader, surrendering a significant lead in regulation but scoring 20 points in the extra period for the 84-77 win.

Leave a comment:

Ad3

Collapse
Working...
X