Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NW Tops the Polls

With the new NABC poll out, NW is now ranked #1 in the country. The football team currently ranks #1 in the country as well. To anyone's knowledge, has any D2 school had the #1 ranked football and men's basketball team at the same time?

Football goes for the national championship this weekend. 3 years ago, FB won the national championship and the NW bball team lost to UCM in OT by 1 point in the Sweet 16. UCM went on to be national champs. Last year, FB also won the national championship and NW bball lost to Augustana in the Sweet 16 by 2 and Augustana went on to win the national championship. Would be quite the accomplishment if FB and BB won championships in the same year. I do not believe that has ever been done but still a LONG way to go in bball season.

Congrats to both teams and heck of an accomplishment.

Re: NW Tops the Polls

Originally posted by NWHoops View Post
    With the new NABC poll out, NW is now ranked #1 in the country. The football team currently ranks #1 in the country as well. To anyone's knowledge, has any D2 school had the #1 ranked football and men's basketball team at the same time?

Football goes for the national championship this weekend. 3 years ago, FB won the national championship and the NW bball team lost to UCM in OT by 1 point in the Sweet 16. UCM went on to be national champs. Last year, FB also won the national championship and NW bball lost to Augustana in the Sweet 16 by 2 and Augustana went on to win the national championship. Would be quite the accomplishment if FB and BB won championships in the same year. I do not believe that has ever been done but still a LONG way to go in bball season.

NW is truly a powerhouse in FB, it would be an utter accomplishment if you won NC in both BB and FB. Most likely the 1st time would have happened. NW gets monster crowds for FB for being in such a small community, but BB crowds seem small...any reason?

Comment

As far as the polls go, apparently a loss to Minot will brutalize you.

The Vikes went from #21 last week to not even receiving a single vote this week. I figured dropping out of the Top 25 was a likelihood, but to not even receive a single Top 25 vote is fascinating to me. Suppose that's why you shouldn't lose to Minot.

As far as NWMSU goes, I will be beyond surprised if anybody from our region knocks off the Bearcats (in the Regional Tournament, I mean) before they travel back to Sioux Falls for the Elite Eight. To me, NWMSU losing in the Regional would be as surprising as (possibly even more surprising than) the Bearcats knocking Augie out in the 2nd round in 2014-15. Particularly with how poorly the NSIC has performed overall in cross-conference showdowns and the fact that no NSIC team has shown a clear, heads-and-shoulders-above-the-rest talent level in our conference. Unless an MIAA squad can prove they have what it takes to slay the Bearcats, I think the Regional Championship is Justin Pitts's for the taking.

Comment

Augie had 8 points, right?

Comment

Originally posted by MisterWizard View Post
          Augie had 8 points, right?
          I was looking at the poll on NCAA.com. I didn't see us anywhere on there.

Comment

Originally posted by MrAugustana View Post
            Correct

Comment

As far as the polls go, apparently a loss to Minot will brutalize you.

The Vikes went from #21 last week to not even receiving a single vote this week. I figured dropping out of the Top 25 was a likelihood, but to not even receive a single Top 25 vote is fascinating to me. Suppose that's why you shouldn't lose to Minot.

As far as NWMSU goes, I will be beyond surprised if anybody from our region knocks off the Bearcats (in the Regional Tournament, I mean) before they travel back to Sioux Falls for the Elite Eight. To me, NWMSU losing in the Regional would be as surprising as (possibly even more surprising than) the Bearcats knocking Augie out in the 2nd round in 2014-15. Particularly with how poorly the NSIC has performed overall in cross-conference showdowns and the fact that no NSIC team has shown a clear, heads-and-shoulders-above-the-rest talent level in our conference. Unless an MIAA squad can prove they have what it takes to slay the Bearcats, I think the Regional Championship is Justin Pitts's for the taking.
              I've stated this before, but it seems so far this year Pitts is not having to take over the game in order for NW to win. Ndow and Woods have both stepped up their games and you are still getting the reliable contribution from Schneider, mosby and Dougherty. In particular, Ndow has become a matchup nightmare. I said last year that he was the most gifted athlete on the team and that he was still really raw. This year is a different story. Add in a 6'7" frosh in Welte off the bench with arguably an equal eye as Schneider from 3 and you see why Pitts isn't being asked to do as much. ?dont get me wrong, if it comes crunch time and you need to score, you still want the ball in #1's hands.

Comment

Originally posted by vikingfaithful View Post
                NW is truly a powerhouse in FB, it would be an utter accomplishment if you won NC in both BB and FB. Most likely the 1st time would have happened. NW gets monster crowds for FB for being in such a small community, but BB crowds seem small...any reason?
                Small gym. Also, NW is a big suitcase college, with many students leaving on weekends. Crowds do pick up when football is over.

Comment

I think town size has a lot to do with it as well 86Catillac. It's a lot easier for people to come in on a Saturday than it is to drive from KC or Omaha or Des Moines for a 7:30 game that lasts two hours and then they have to drive back and go to work the next day.

If Maryville had 50,000 people the basketball attendance would be better.

Comment

The arena size has a lot to do with it as well. I doubt if there are over 2000 seats in Bearcat Arena so even a crowd of 1800 "plays" bigger in there.

Comment

Originally posted by NWHoops View Post

I am not sure with Division II but Florida won the 2006 Football and Men's Basketball national titles.

Comment

The St Joe News Press said this is a 1st for D2

Comment

Nabc.org website shows Augustana SD with 8 points and #28. You're still okay for now.

So here's a question: as the season progresses and you want your team in position to be selected to the regional, would you rather be scoring well in this PI thing or bouncing around somewhere in the top 25? Missouri Southern is #7 in the nation in the latest PI standings, but is currently off the radar in the top 25 voting.

Comment

Originally posted by MisterWizard View Post
                            Nabc.org website shows Augustana SD with 8 points and #28. You're still okay for now.

So here's a question: as the season progresses and you want your team in position to be selected to the regional, would you rather be scoring well in this PI thing or bouncing around somewhere in the top 25? Missouri Southern is #7 in the nation in the latest PI standings, but is currently off the radar in the top 25 voting.
                            The PI is a criteria for post-season selection. The top 25 poll is for bragging rights only and means nothing as far as post-season goes.

Comment

As others have said, I think arena size plays a large role. The plaque entering the gym says capacity is 2500 but I think that's including standing room. We had 2400 a couple years ago in a game against UCM for the conference title and there was nowhere left to sit or stand. My guess is there is seating for 2000 or so. For NSIC fans (for reference), I saw some pictures and would guess our arena is similar to SMSU (although I do see capacity at SMSU is much larger, they look very similar from pictures). We averaged over 1300 attendance last year and may get to the 1500 range with a few more years of success but with arena size, town size, and location to metro area I doubt we'll ever get to the 2000 range.

Originally posted by Guest69 View Post
                              I am not sure with Division II but Florida won the 2006 Football and Men's Basketball national titles.
                              FL is who I thought of from a D1 perspective. Couldn't recall the year though.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X