Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Men's Top 25 Polls (12/11)

Originally posted by NSUguy View Post
    I think if you found the term "Jekyll and Hyde" in an encyclopedia, Northern would be the photo present. I've been reading this friendly/unfriendly banter and I agree with both sides believe it or not. Northern can play with anybody in the country in my opinion, as evident against their game against NW. Whether it was the first game or not is irrelevant, as it was the first game for both teams. Northern can also lose to almost anybody in the country, which was evident to the disaster against Truman. You've already acknowledged that the transitive property is garbage and I commend you for that. It certainly would be interesting to see this Northern and NW matchup down the road just to see how both our teams' freshmen have developed.
    You have seen NSU play much more than I so you would know the Jekyll and Hyde aspect of the team and I don't doubt it. As GrifFan mentions there is a lot of randomness to this and we can't pinpoint any exact reasons.

Not really directed to you but since you mention Jekyll and Hyde while GrifFan mentioned randomness, I looked at the season stats for both teams compared to their game against each other. What came of that was statistically, NSU had a very average game for them this year when they played NW. NW had far and away their worst statistical game of the year against NSU. Why that may be? Well, I guess some people have left their opinions on here and everyone can come to their own conclusions. My blinders tell me an inexperienced team was learning on the fly in what was, for some of them playing critical positions, their first collegiate games (not that NSU was without their own inexperienced players as well). I'm sure others will say NSU is a very good team most nights (Jekyll and Hyde) and that happened to be one of the good ones which caused the statistical anomaly for NW. The truth is probably somewhere in the middle.

Looking forward to following the MIAA and NSIC conference matchups the rest of the season!

Comment

Originally posted by NWHoops View Post
      I don't think I'm changing anything. I just believe you are picking the pieces you want to address. As a matter of fact, the post you first quoted of me addressed the youth of NW team and the Truman game. In all honesty, you are correct that using the Truman game is unnecessary because at the end of the day NW beat both teams.

I am going to make a wild leap and say you are probably not the only one on this board who is a fan and coach. I have been both as well, officiated some high school games for a few years also. I'm not sure what that has to do with basketball knowledge but since you brought it up...

There are plenty of coaches out there who don't have a clue. Just ask all the fans across the country on message boards like these :)
      I guess I'm just burned out on hearing youth as a reason a team struggles or can't be good. If your players are good (which NW's are) it doesn't matter their age. You also have a phenomenal coach. Kids play SO MANY games in high school and AAU that they should have experience. Add to that a redshirt year getting to know the system and teammates, and in your PG's case, getting to practice against one of the best PG's D2 has seen. Perhaps I'm just so jaded from hearing PJ Fleck on Minneapolis radio making that excuse for his football team (I loathe the Goofers). :)

True. But I bet we'd find even more that think the officials have no clue!! Haha

Comment

Man, I figured when Justin Pitts graduated, that the Bearcats would drop off a little bit. Didn't happen. The coach at Northwest has to be the best coach and recruiter in the MIAA. His teams play the most disciplined offensive style in the conference and they run it to perfection. Recruiting speaks for itself.....Pitts is gone and they just reload and are ranked 2nd in the country. WOW ! How long can Northwest hold onto that coach before upper division schools come calling.

Comment

Originally posted by Purple Mav Man View Post

True. But I bet we'd find even more that think the officials have no clue!! Haha
          I bet even clueless coaches would agree with that. :)

Comment

Originally posted by GrifFan View Post
            I bet even clueless coaches would agree with that. :)
            I agree. Uh oh, does that make me a clueless coach???

Comment

I agree. Uh oh, does that make me a clueless coach???
              It means you are all going to Blockbuster and renting the movie Clueless with the combo pack of popcorn, two bottles or Coke and a snack of your choice (I always went Milk Duds or Sour Patch Kids)

Comment

Originally posted by NSU4LIFE View Post
                It means you are all going to Blockbuster and renting the movie Clueless with the combo pack of popcorn, two bottles or Coke and a snack of your choice (I always went Milk Duds or Sour Patch Kids)
                Ha. I put in 3 years at Blockbuster in college. Go Home Happy.

Comment

After reading this, NW is well on their way to another conference and regional championship after a 10-0 start with their inexperienced freshman. Just wait till they are experienced at game 20 or game 30. They are the clear favorites.

Comment

Originally posted by mosofan1 View Post
                    After reading this, NW is well on their way to another conference and regional championship after a 10-0 start with their inexperienced freshman. Just wait till they are experienced at game 20 or game 30. They are the clear favorites.
                    Nah, the clear weakness for NW is no true post player. Martin will have his way. Only question is who will he guard when every NW player on the court can shoot the 3.

All roads to the regional lead to Joplin at this point.

Comment

Originally posted by mosofan1 View Post
                      You are progressing nicely in the art of sandbagging; especially for a MOSO fan. Keep at it; as a freshman sandbagger you show potential; but alas you are still a freshman. By the end of January (if your quick progression continues) I anticipate you to be nearing the caliber of a seasoned NW sandbagger. But remember, you are still a freshman; and have a ways to go.

On a side note; MOSO, at this point in the season, has an 83% chance to host the regional.

Comment

Originally posted by 86Catillac View Post
                        You are progressing nicely in the art of sandbagging; especially for a MOSO fan. Keep at it; as a freshman sandbagger you show potential; but alas you are still a freshman. By the end of January (if your quick progression continues) I anticipate you to be nearing the caliber of a seasoned NW sandbagger. But remember, you are still a freshman; and have a ways to go.

On a side note; MOSO, at this point in the season, has an 83% chance to host the regional.
                        But wait, as a freshman, he's not allowed to be good :)

Comment

But wait, as a freshman, he's not allowed to be good :)

Dramatic improvement from game 1.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X