19. Queens (NC) (9-2)
    20. Chaminade (5-0)
    21. St. Thomas Aquinas (8-1)
    22. Missouri Southern State (9-1)
    23. St. Martin's (8-1)
    24. St. Edward's (9-1)
    25. Shippensburg (8-2)

Others Receiving Votes
    Lenoir-Rhyne, St. Cloud State, Western Washington, Point Loma Nazarene, Texas A&M-Commerce, Western Oregon, Angelo State, Catawba, Barton, Fairmont State, Northwest Nazarene, Tarleton State, Lynn, Belmont Abbey, Indianapolis, Lewis

Re: Men's Top 25 Polls (12/11)

D2SIDA Top 25 (12/11)
    1. Bellarmine (11) (7-0)
    2. Northwest Missouri State (4) (10-0)
    3. Indiana (PA) (8-0)
    4. St. Anselm (8-0)
    5. Valdosta State (8-0)
    6. UC-San Diego (8-1)
    7. South Carolina Aiken (9-0)
    8. St. Edward's (9-1)
    9. Nova Southeastern (6-0)
    10. West Texas A&M (10-2)
    11. St. Martin's (8-1)
    12. Lewis (5-1)
    13. Queens (NC) (9-2)
    14. Southern Nazarene (9-1)
    15t. Lynn (6-0)
    15t. Missouri Southern State (9-1)
    17. St. Thomas Aquinas (8-1)
    18. Fairmont State (8-2)
    19. West Liberty State (7-2)
    20. Findlay (8-1)
    21. Cal Poly Pomona (4-1)
    22. Bentley (8-1)
    23. Chaminade (5-0)
    24. Ashland (8-0)
    25. Florida Southern (6-1)

Others Receiving Votes
    Barry, Texas A&M-Commerce, Washburn, North Carolina-Pembroke, Morehouse

Comment

Is the NSIC in basketball not very strong or is this a down year?

Comment

Last year the nsic seemed to be down both based on head to head results with other leagues and according to numerous nsic posters on here. Then they put four teams into the 8-team NCAA regional tourney and swept the first round.

It seems to me they have their usual share of bottom dwellers, but once again more than a handful of very capable contenders.

Comment

Originally posted by MisterWizard View Post
          Last year the nsic seemed to be down both based on head to head results with other leagues and according to numerous nsic posters on here. Then they put four teams into the 8-team NCAA regional tourney and swept the first round.

It seems to me they have their usual share of bottom dwellers, but once again more than a handful of very capable contenders.
          Didn't Northern State play in the National championship game? or am I nuts?

Comment

Originally posted by MisterWizard View Post

Just going compare and contrast I'd say Manakto is the best built for a postseason run especially after last season. St. Cloud is certainly another one if they get their poop together. USF has two very good players and could potentially make a run though I dont belive they have much depth. Northern could make noise but they will have to really start gelling together through the year. Comparing them to last years squad isnt fair to do but certainly they arent at that level and that's where you have to be to be considered a possibility to win a regional. Augie might need more time but capable of showing up end of the year. Wayne, I think we are all just baffled by the early success. Time will tell over the year if it's for year or just a good start like we have seen from Duluth a few years back and Minot last season.

That's my personal breakdown of the NSIC, other than comparingbhead to heads or watching out of conference teams I cant tell you how they compare to other schools this year. NSU did have a clear chance at beating NWMSU regardless of who we think had a good night or bad night so I guess NSIC teams can use that as their own barometer.

Comment

Originally posted by vikingfaithful View Post
              Didn't Northern State play in the National championship game? or am I nuts?
              Yes, and possibly yes but I don't know you.

Actually, since the NSIC advanced four past the regional first round, most probably figured out that the league also put two in the regional championship. From there though, only one NSIC team was able to advance. Had they split these four teams up into four separate regionals, despite the down year, you may have all met in the final four.

Northern State did indeed advance to the national championship game, which I watched, and which I thought they were possibly going to win, until something barely went wrong in the end. I was very impressed with them while watching them play in Maryville.

Comment

Originally posted by Twincitiesmav View Post
                I don't think any NSIC program has built itself up enough to be nationally prominent year in and year out. So as those teams graduate great players, it takes a little while for them to completely reload. But we do have 3 national championships (and 2 national runners-up) in the last 13 years. Only the GLVC (2) and GLIAC (2) have had multiple national title winners in that time.

Comment

Originally posted by Stanger86 View Post
                  I don't think any NSIC program has built itself up enough to be nationally prominent year in and year out. So as those teams graduate great players, it takes a little while for them to completely reload. But we do have 3 national championships (and 2 national runners-up) in the last 13 years. Only the GLVC (2) and GLIAC (2) have had multiple national title winners in that time.

Comment

Originally posted by Twincitiesmav View Post
                    Definitely a down year thus far with all of the preseason top tier teams except Mankato suffering puzzling losses: SCSU to UMD and USF/NSU to Truman. Combining that with NW Mo's culuturally reloaded vessel and MoSo's dominance has severely dampened the chances for an NSIC team to host.

As previously mentioned Wayne is the unexpected shining, glimmering, splendid beacon of hope with a marquee win over Pitt St. No one else appears to have the proper equipment to make a Regional run at this moment.

Comment

Northern did take NWMSU down to the wire and had a really good chance at beating them in regulation, then they handily beat a Queens team that is probably a bit overrated. The Wolves have not played as well since that opening weekend, but I do believe that showed they could be capable of playing with just about anyone. They also lost at home to Truman and barely beat Chadron so they could also lose to a lot of teams if they don't play well. I think SCSU, MSU, and USF could win the region as well. Overall, I think the top of the MIAA is probably a little better than the NSIC, but I believe the middle of each conference is comparable. National polls are fun to look at, but I don't know how much stock you can put into them. The Central region will be a gauntlet again this year and the team that comes out of it will have a good chance at winning the National Title.

Comment

Originally posted by NSU4LIFE View Post
                        Just going compare and contrast I'd say Manakto is the best built for a postseason run especially after last season. St. Cloud is certainly another one if they get their poop together. USF has two very good players and could potentially make a run though I dont belive they have much depth. Northern could make noise but they will have to really start gelling together through the year. Comparing them to last years squad isnt fair to do but certainly they arent at that level and that's where you have to be to be considered a possibility to win a regional. Augie might need more time but capable of showing up end of the year. Wayne, I think we are all just baffled by the early success. Time will tell over the year if it's for year or just a good start like we have seen from Duluth a few years back and Minot last season.

That's my personal breakdown of the NSIC, other than comparingbhead to heads or watching out of conference teams I cant tell you how they compare to other schools this year. NSU did have a clear chance at beating NWMSU regardless of who we think had a good night or bad night so I guess NSIC teams can use that as their own barometer.

I can certainly understand why it is baffling. It surprised me. I knew Wayne had three returning seniors who would form the core of the team, and they were arguably the three best players from last year's squad. What no one knew was just how well the new guys would gel with the returners. J Jansen and Ferrarini both have advanced skills and play with a maturity you don't normally see from freshmen. Jackson appears to be a juco unicorn: good motor, intelligent, pass/defend/rebound, unselfish glue guy. You have to watch him awhile to fully appreciate what he does. And finally Dentlinger is harnessing the raw athleticism he displayed in limited minutes as a freshman. He is going to block a lot of shots before his career is over.

I think Wayne will win quite a few games this year. Starting 3-0 on the road is huge. Not sure yet they can hang with a Mankato/St Cloud. They don't appear to have the consistent outside shooters that you typically see on a good team and that will bite them on some nights...nearly did at Winona. As you said, time will tell.

Comment

Originally posted by Augieholic View Post
                          Definitely a down year thus far with all of the preseason top tier teams except Mankato suffering puzzling losses: SCSU to UMD and USF/NSU to Truman. Combining that with NW Mo's culuturally reloaded vessel and MoSo's dominance has severely dampened the chances for an NSIC team to host.

As previously mentioned Wayne is the unexpected shining, glimmering, splendid beacon of hope with a marquee win over Pitt St. No one else appears to have the proper equipment to make a Regional run at this moment.
                          THAT phrase made me chuckle.

Comment

Originally posted by Thunder View Post
                            Northern did take NWMSU down to the wire and had a really good chance at beating them in regulation, then they handily beat a Queens team that is probably a bit overrated. The Wolves have not played as well since that opening weekend, but I do believe that showed they could be capable of playing with just about anyone. They also lost at home to Truman and barely beat Chadron so they could also lose to a lot of teams if they don't play well. I think SCSU, MSU, and USF could win the region as well. Overall, I think the top of the MIAA is probably a little better than the NSIC, but I believe the middle of each conference is comparable. National polls are fun to look at, but I don't know how much stock you can put into them. The Central region will be a gauntlet again this year and the team that comes out of it will have a good chance at winning the National Title.
                            Can't deny how close of a game NW and NSU had in the first game of the season. I know NSU replaced a good number of players but NW lost 4 starters from last year and played 1 redshirt freshman and 2 true freshman in their first ever D2 games against NSU. NW returned only 3 players who played any meaningful minutes last year. Also, that same Truman team that beat NSU got blown out by 27 by NW.

I just think it's important to have that info for reference.

Playing 3 freshmen guards in a 4 guard rotation will result in growing pains. Honestly shocked that NW is undefeated at this point.

Still think the regional will be in Joplin this year.

Comment

Originally posted by NWHoops View Post
                              Can't deny how close of a game NW and NSU had in the first game of the season. I know NSU replaced a good number of players but NW lost 4 starters from last year and played 1 redshirt freshman and 2 true freshman in their first ever D2 games against NSU. NW returned only 3 players who played any meaningful minutes last year. Also, that same Truman team that beat NSU got blown out by 27 by NW.

I just think it's important to have that info for reference.

Playing 3 freshmen guards in a 4 guard rotation will result in growing pains. Honestly shocked that NW is undefeated at this point.

Still think the regional will be in Joplin this year.
                              Perhaps tonight I can go through and break down what NSU lost for you...it's certainly a lot more than you make it seem like.

I just think it's important to have that for reference.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X