Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by #WolvesNation View Post
    The other part to this is that in D1, they didn’t get the same chances as D2 did, as only a few conferences even got to play games to get to the tournament. 98% of seniors in D1 didn’t get the chance that D2 players did. Perhaps NCAA will take that into consideration as well.
    My prediction is that in the end, after a lot of discussions and arguments on all sides, the ncaa will just decide that the seniors will have to live with the disappointment that their final season got cut a little short. We will see...

Comment

While I understand winter sports seniors technically completed their regular season, the seniors aren’t playing just to play their 30 game regular season schedule and be satisfied. Most of the seniors did indeed play their seasons completely. However, the seniors that were in the playoffs got just as much out of their seasons as the spring sports seniors did. Since you likely can’t pick and choose which seniors get to come back (Northern being only one in NSIC), you let them all have another year.
      What about the underclassmen and, more importantly, juniors waiting behind those seniors who should have graduated? Would you give a year back to everybody?

Comment

Originally posted by MrAugustana View Post

What about the underclassmen and, more importantly, juniors waiting behind those seniors who should have graduated? Would you give a year back to everybody?
        Tru dat! Too many problems if you give seniors their year back. Not going to happen. Also one more year of NW Missouri will be tough enough to take...two more years would be impossible. :)

Comment

While I understand winter sports seniors technically completed their regular season, the seniors aren’t playing just to play their 30 game regular season schedule and be satisfied. Most of the seniors did indeed play their seasons completely. However, the seniors that were in the playoffs got just as much out of their seasons as the spring sports seniors did. Since you likely can’t pick and choose which seniors get to come back (Northern being only one in NSIC), you let them all have another year.
          Do they hand out redshirts to players who have played in 90%+ of their teams games in that season?

Comment

The spring sports seniors will probably miss the vast majority of their seasons. As much as it sucks for the winter sports athletes, I don't see them getting another year. And this hits the MSU hockey team as much as anyone- they would have gotten a top four seed.

Comment

Originally posted by Moorhead123 View Post
              Sioux Falls - A team I underestimated the entire 2019-2020 season. All starters return so expect the coo to be tough out again next season. Loss of Green will be small scale problem. Biggest question is whether defense and rebounding again can overcome lack of outside shooters. Worked this season so why not again next year? Further improvements from grinde and houghton will make USF sure contenders.
              I'm not even sure what to do with this information and feeling. But I like it.

Comment

Even giving spring semester athletes another semester (for seniors) they have to be willing to come back for another year. Some places may be able to do it, but most, especially in D2 would have to come up with extra funding for scholarships or pull money from incoming freshman or allow athlete to compete with no scholarship. Keep in mind, all of the scholarship dollars were paid out for this spring two months ago.

I'm all for give athletes the opportunity, but gotta believe a lot are just going to say "pass" even if they have the option.

Comment

Originally posted by Otis Day View Post

I'm not even sure what to do with this information and feeling. But I like it.
                  We will see if USF can perform when the expectations are ratcheted up prior to next season. Tougher at times to be the hunted rather than the hunter. USF defense and rebounding should win a lot of games. Enough to win the conference or get automatic bid...not sure I’m ready to say that, yet.

Comment

We will see if USF can perform when the expectations are ratcheted up prior to next season. Tougher at times to be the hunted rather than the hunter. USF defense and rebounding should win a lot of games. Enough to win the conference or get automatic bid...not sure I’m ready to say that, yet.

190a3c07a7c5a38c043a30033e81126c0e5e5540732940953557dc7bdef28779.jpg

Comment

This doesn't seem to work for me. Was part of the address left out?

Comment

According to Wikipedia, these schools have not made the NCAA D2 basketball tournament yet for the men: Concordia, Crookston, Minot & USF.

Couldn't find a list for the women. The nearest thing I could figure out was Bemidji, Crookston, Minot and UIU hadn't made it. Anyone know?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...bids_by_school

Edit: Cross off Mary for the women- they went in 2012.
                        Last edited by laker; 03-15-2020, 02:12 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by laker View Post

This doesn't seem to work for me. Was part of the address left out?
                          Huh works for me. But I've been struggling with uploading images here on the board.

It was just a dorky meme that was essentially... I'm just happy to be included :)

Comment

Originally posted by Otis Day View Post

Huh works for me. But I've been struggling with uploading images here on the board.

It was just a dorky meme that was essentially... I'm just happy to be included :)
                            I tried it on the net- worked there!

Comment

With the Coronavirus essentially closing down the world and no college basketball (or any other sports) to watch on tv...why not look ahead to next year in the nsic. Clearly way way too early, as much always changes in the offseason, but what the heck....

My main prediction is that the nsic will be much improved next year and will get 2-3 teams to the regional. Let’s group into four categories of teams as follows:

1. THE FAVORITES:

Northern -
                              They are the favorite until someone knocks them off. Loss of King and Dahl will hurt, but 4 of 5 starters back and Bergan and Belka should be able to pick up the slack from the lost seniors. This obviously assumes Fox is back next year. I have noticed even some wolves fans posting that Fox may transfer. If that happens it may knock nsu down into the second category of teams.

Augustana - Difficult 2019-2020 season. However, the team I saw in nsic tourney looked more like what was expected in the preseason. Bring back some of the injured players, and assume Cartwright back to prior form, and augie will be tough to beat. Assume they will be motivated to exit in style with potential final season at d2 level.

Sioux Falls - A team I underestimated the entire 2019-2020 season. All starters return so expect the coo to be tough out again next season. Loss of Green will be small scale problem. Biggest question is whether defense and rebounding again can overcome lack of outside shooters. Worked this season so why not again next year? Further improvements from grinde and houghton will make USF sure contenders.

2. SERIOUS CONTENDERS:

MSUM -
                              No more youth excuses for dragons going forward. Next year they will be a veteran group. They also showed enough the second half of 2019 season so expectations will be high.

Only lose one senior in Johnny Beeninga. There are internal options to make up for Beeninga’s loss (Irsfeld, Rund, Mertens, Jacob Beeninga). Baumgartner should be a top player in conference. Williams is solid defender and slasher, but needs to improve as outside shooter. Hopefully, Simon Sem returns after missing the majority of second half of season. His athleticism and defense is terrific, but also needs to work on outside shot. Wyatt Hanson had shoulder injury majority of season so look for him to come back healthy and contribute next year. He is another athletic player that missed the majority of 2019. On the interior, Zimmer played very well (especially for a freshman), Sevile had some really good moments and Bergh looked like he was making nice strides late. If these interior players take another step forward they could turn into a potential strength and dragons may move into the favorite category. Improved outside shooting in the offseason will also help to loosen up the paint. However, the extended 3 point line in 2020 works against this for all teams next year. The last few years dragons have added a juco or d1 transfer in offseason. Could possibly see them add of another shooter and/or additional interior player. Not sure if any incoming freshman will be ready to contribute.

Mankato - Always have a lot of raw talent. Next year should be no different. By their standards may still be a bit of rebuilding year. Kirksey will be difficult to replace. Holt looks legit. Baumgardner’s return at pg will be real key. Also, very likely that Mankato brings in a few d1 transfers (as usual)...so assuming they don’t implode team chemistry then they could also rapidly jump up the list. A couple of incoming freshman also look very solid on film...let’s see how long the transition takes for jump to college. As always the roster will be talented enough to beat anyone on any given night.

UIU - In my opinion the biggest surprise team of 2019. Very deep group of young guards. Look out if they take another step forward. Also, Chris Olson injured and likely back next year to crowd the backcourt even a bit more. One problem is they are a bit small. Can UIU handle the post season when defenses ramp up and the games slow down. They are fun to watch and will give nsic teams fits again next year.

3. ON THE BUBBLE:

SMSU - I expect smsu to be most improved nsic team in 2020. Everyone back. Don’t overlook mustangs next year. Could listen to arguments to move smsu into category 2 above.

Bemidgi - Suffered unfortunate injuries in 2019 or would have won some more. Still solid core returns next season. Don’t overlook bemidgi again in 2020. Also, maybe a category 2 team.

SCSU - loss of Marshall will hurt, but do have some nice young guards. Roberts loaded with raw talent. Not sure what else to say about 2020 team. Assuming a bunch of new guys coming in that we haven’t heard about yet. If not, may be a rebuilding year for scsu and move them down into category 4?

Mary - don’t really lose a lot but still unlikely to challenge the top teams. Kreklow top shelf interior player that always hurts the dragons. Won’t be sad to see him graduate. Need more explosive perimeter players around him. Look for redshirt freshman Mattern to be nice surprise.

4. REBUILDING:

UMD - Drew Blair will be one of the top scorers in nsic next season, which maybe should move UMD into bubble category. Just too many seniors to replace. Very good incoming freshman class will contribute right away, but probably only good enough to be middle of nsic pack. Wouldn’t be surprised to see Duluth a little better than just rebuilding next year.

Wayne - lets say another year of rebuild despite janssen being really good.

Concordia - perpetually in state of rebuild it seems. Not too many seniors so maybe underestimating next year’s team as they were a little better than 2019 record in my opinion. Not sure about coaching situation. Future may be bright if they can ultimately be depository for future d1s that flake out from University of St. Thomas (assuming ust receives ncaa approval for d1) just down the block. Carlson and coblin, etc. should be good enough to potentially move them into the bubble category.

Minot - Final season for pg Max Cody. We will see what Murkin recruits from around the globe to help him out. Cody Dwyer also could have nice senior season...so cupboard not exactly bare.

Crookston - Get used to hearing the phrase “remember when Crookston had Harrison Cleary?” On paper this team looks like it’s heading back to the dark ages of Crookston basketball. Expect big roster turnovers the next few years.
                              Notice I mistakenly left Winona out of the fun above. Winona has a lot returning next year so I would put them in category 2. They may struggle to replace wagner’s offensive production, however. Also, Winona needs additional interior depth. Couple issues to address, but still plenty to work with going into next season.

Comment

As someone who doesn't really I have a vested interest in the whole Parker Fox transfer situation, I do think it is interesting that Sather now has three outgoing transfers from UND this offseason to go with the three graduating seniors. Plenty of spots available for Fox if he decides to make the jump.

That being said, I have actually enjoyed watching the Vikings play against him and would be a little bit disappointed if he transferred up, so this is less of me trying to get NSU fans riled up and more just making the observation that it seems a spot would likely be open for him in Grand Forks.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X