Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Moorhead123 View Post
    Thought Schwartz was more of a combo guard than a true point guard. Will be interested to see if he can run with the main pg duties.
    Bigler speaks highly of him

Comment

This tweet summarizes what has been one of my biggest concerns for a long time about St. Thomas going D1 (whether Augie ever goes D1 or not):

https://twitter.com/CoachStoa/status...17132270116866

This will make life interesting for the Dakota schools who have always recruited the Cities.
      I think of older guys like Cody Schilling, Al Richter, Casey Schilling (I know the Schillings aren't "from the Cities," but a school like St. Thomas still might've appealed to them as an option, especially as a low-major D1 option), as well as newer guys like Bennett Otto, a transfer like Tyler Riemersma, etc. Not saying all of these guys would've been heavily recruited by St. Thomas, but I'm willing to bet a few of them would've been looked at and recruited.

Not to mention the Dakota D1s already getting in on guys like that from the Cities.

I would imagine this will also will hurt schools like Mankato, Moorhead, Winona, etc. in Minnesota that have picked up one or two of those fringe-D1 kids from Minnesota every year.

Comment

Originally posted by MrAugustana View Post
        This tweet summarizes what has been one of my biggest concerns for a long time about St. Thomas going D1 (whether Augie ever goes D1 or not):

I think of older guys like Cody Schilling, Al Richter, Casey Schilling (I know the Schillings aren't "from the Cities," but a school like St. Thomas still might've appealed to them as an option, especially as a low-major D1 option), as well as newer guys like Bennett Otto, a transfer like Tyler Riemersma, etc. Not saying all of these guys would've been heavily recruited by St. Thomas, but I'm willing to bet a few of them would've been looked at and recruited.

Not to mention the Dakota D1s already getting in on guys like that from the Cities.

I would imagine this will also will hurt schools like Mankato, Moorhead, Winona, etc. in Minnesota that have picked up one or two of those fringe-D1 kids from Minnesota every year.
        While I am downplaying this a little bit, I don't really know how it makes much of a difference. Certainly UST could take away a handful of kids but it isn't like they are bringing in 20 kids a season. All the other area D1s are already recruiting those kids so just adds one more potential spot.

Be curious to see how UST does with this. I've long said that Augie would compete immediately, UST, not so much.

Rest easy though MrAugustana...won't be long before they lose Western Illinois, or maybe pick up a school near Denver and need a pal to bring in with them.

For now, I'll enjoy our conounued match-ups.

Comment

WSU might be hurt less as they seem to focus on Wisconsin and Illinois more often, but they will likely feel some "pain" because of it.

Comment

Originally posted by NSU4LIFE View Post

While I am downplaying this a little bit, I don't really know how it makes much of a difference. Certainly UST could take away a handful of kids but it isn't like they are bringing in 20 kids a season. All the other area D1s are already recruiting those kids so just adds one more potential spot.

Be curious to see how UST does with this. I've long said that Augie would compete immediately, UST, not so much.

Rest easy though MrAugustana...won't be long before they lose Western Illinois, or maybe pick up a school near Denver and need a pal to bring in with them.

For now, I'll enjoy our conounued match-ups.
            I don't disagree with this in terms of them bringing in 20 kids per season. My thought is that, on average (if they aren't aggressively pursuing the transfer route), they are likely to bring in 3-4 kids with each class. Let's say all 3-4 of those kids are legitimate D1-level kids who may have otherwise considered NSIC schools. Most of the top programs in the NSIC don't consistently have 3-4 D1-caliber players on their rosters, but the top teams usually have at least one or two (in Augie's case, I do think Dan Jansen was a legitimate D1 player, and while Casey Schilling may not have been coming out of high school, Al Richter was fairly highly sought-after by Augie, Winona when they were still a top team, etc. ... meanwhile Parker Fox is probably dancing at that D1-caliber edge, and Northern would be an entirely different team without him... probably similar with a guy like Cameron Kirksey for Mankato the past couple of years).

My point is that if that pool of potential program-changing or at least program-elevating players is now being diminished by 3-4 kids per year, that's all it takes to keep a program from missing out on the final piece of the puzzle that takes them from competitor to champion.

I think of the guys that Augie has recently been after hard and, from what I have heard, barely missed out on (Noah Freidel, who was Summit League Freshman of the Year last year, Paul Bruns who is headed to UND next year, etc.) to the local Dakota D1s, even going back to Nate Wolters, and knowing that the talent pool is being thinned out even more by yet another Summit League school in the NSIC's recruiting footprint is just disappointing.

Does it mean every NSIC school is screwed forever by St. Thomas going D1? No. But I do think it will impact the schools that regularly recruit that top-of-the-top D2/borderline D1 talent from the Cities in a way that is subtle but significant.

Assuming St. Thomas's coaching staff is decent at recruiting, I suppose. But the D1 allure is a major aid in that fight, even if coaches aren't amazing at recruiting.

Comment

I don't disagree with this in terms of them bringing in 20 kids per season. My thought is that, on average (if they aren't aggressively pursuing the transfer route), they are likely to bring in 3-4 kids with each class. Let's say all 3-4 of those kids are legitimate D1-level kids who may have otherwise considered NSIC schools. Most of the top programs in the NSIC don't consistently have 3-4 D1-caliber players on their rosters, but the top teams usually have at least one or two (in Augie's case, I do think Dan Jansen was a legitimate D1 player, and while Casey Schilling may not have been coming out of high school, Al Richter was fairly highly sought-after by Augie, Winona when they were still a top team, etc. ... meanwhile Parker Fox is probably dancing at that D1-caliber edge, and Northern would be an entirely different team without him... probably similar with a guy like Cameron Kirksey for Mankato the past couple of years).

My point is that if that pool of potential program-changing or at least program-elevating players is now being diminished by 3-4 kids per year, that's all it takes to keep a program from missing out on the final piece of the puzzle that takes them from competitor to champion.

I think of the guys that Augie has recently been after hard and, from what I have heard, barely missed out on (Noah Freidel, who was Summit League Freshman of the Year last year, Paul Bruns who is headed to UND next year, etc.) to the local Dakota D1s, even going back to Nate Wolters, and knowing that the talent pool is being thinned out even more by yet another Summit League school in the NSIC's recruiting footprint is just disappointing.

Does it mean every NSIC school is screwed forever by St. Thomas going D1? No. But I do think it will impact the schools that regularly recruit that top-of-the-top D2/borderline D1 talent from the Cities in a way that is subtle but significant.

Assuming St. Thomas's coaching staff is decent at recruiting, I suppose. But the D1 allure is a major aid in that fight, even if coaches aren't amazing at recruiting.
              Agree with most of what you say. St. Thomas has a lot to offer and will get some good players in the future. Parker Fox certainly a d1 caliber player. Most, if not all, first team all-nsic guys are d1 caliber. Maybe not power 5 d1...but d1 caliber (whatever that means) nonetheless.

Comment

It'll affect SMSU, but maybe not as much as other programs.

2020: 2 MN, 1 IL, 1 WI, 1 KS
                2019: 3 MN, 1 IA, 1 WI, 1 transfer
                2018: 1 MN, 1 IA, 1 MO
                2017: 1 IA, 1 KS, 1 international
                2016: 1 MN, 1 ND, 1 TX, 1 transfer

5-year total: 7 MN, 3 IA, 2 WI, 2 KS, 2 transfer, 1 MO, 1 IL, 1 TX, 1 international

7 out of 20 is probably one of the lower totals for the state schools

Comment

Comment

Comment

https://mobile.twitter.com/tonysroe/...89402290225154

2021 Iowa big man Angelo Winkel commits to the Vikes.

Don't want to add any further commentary, as NSU4LIFE will likely aggressively hold me to it in another 2-3 years.

But he does, like many recruits, appear to have some potential.

Comment

Comment

Comment

Mary roster seems to have a lot of local Bismarck kids.

Comment

Last edited by Moorhead123; 08-04-2020, 09:25 PM.

Comment

Last edited by Swisher; 08-07-2020, 12:13 AM.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X