X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stanger86
    replied
    Re: Northern State Wolves 2019-2020

Anyone remember the other finalists the last time this job was open?

Leave a comment:

• Moorhead123
    replied

Originally posted by NSU4LIFE View Post
    I'm not putting out any names or info or anything on this matter. But, obviously, hope you are wrong.
    No inside information, but he could definitely play at that level. Hard to find guys with his type of length and athleticism.

Leave a comment:

• NSU4LIFE
    replied

Originally posted by Moorhead123 View Post
    My money is Parker Fox is UND bound.
    I'm not putting out any names or info or anything on this matter. But, obviously, hope you are wrong.

Leave a comment:

• NSU4LIFE
    replied

Originally posted by MrAugustana View Post
    I agree with the part in bold completely. However, one of the reasons I stopped posting on the SDSU message board is due to the majority of their fans repeatedly and aggressively asserting that Daniel Jansen (quick reminder: National Player of the Year and All-Conference/All-Region/All-etc. pretty much throughout his career, amongst many other accolades) would have been nothing more than a bench player for SDSU and other Summit programs, as well as Casey Schilling for that matter. At that point I realized rationality was not something I would find over there and gave up trying.

UND seems to be at least more aware of the state of their program (budget restraints, past success, etc.) so maybe they'd be more open to some of those players coming in with Sather, but I wouldn't be shocked if there's a lot of fans saying, "Wait a minute, we hire a D2 guy and the first thing he does is bring 'D2 players' to our program?"

On the flipside, if that happens, Sather will either win with them or he won't. That's up to him and his ability as a coach. Fans are always going to find things to complain about.
    Yeah, I would lose my mind on a board like that. It's essentially what made me grow to hate the Bison so much. My test is I say NCC and if they dont know what that means, I know they just hopped on the bandwagon. Which is fine, but own it. For them to say that of Jansen is just laughable.

If the 2,000 UND basketball fans want to get nervous of D2 guys, I would like to show them (as a more recent example) what some d2 kids did down in Tempe in 2017.

I'd hop on those boards and say well then, if it wouldnt be a struggle, start scheduling these D2 teams for a "glorified practice" if there is no risk.

Leave a comment:

• Moorhead123
    replied

Question now becomes who goes with him as far as current and incoming players, do we roll with Horstman. We have a wealth of alumni that are in the coaching ranks but most are either D1 positions or head d2 coaches now. Obviously we will have a strong applicant pool but boy is the pressure on to make this a good hire.
    My money is Parker Fox is UND bound.

Leave a comment:

• MrAugustana
    replied

I know what you are saying, however, the NSIC has plenty of players who would do just fine in the Summit. Also, when taking over at a new school you typically have players leave and voids to fill quickly. There is one player in particular that if he were to follow I will be furious (for a reason I may or may not ever disclose). The few comments I could find anywhere since there is such a small following, were some less than excited fans.

Paul is a great guy, did a great job coaching at NSU and at BH. It is going to be a tough task to lead UND to Summit glory and quite a shock to Paul as he will be playing in front of crowds less than half the size, that are unenthusiastic and it's just going to be very different for him.

I dont fault him for anything but this caught many by surprise.
    I agree with the part in bold completely. However, one of the reasons I stopped posting on the SDSU message board is due to the majority of their fans repeatedly and aggressively asserting that Daniel Jansen (quick reminder: National Player of the Year and All-Conference/All-Region/All-etc. pretty much throughout his career, amongst many other accolades) would have been nothing more than a bench player for SDSU and other Summit programs, as well as Casey Schilling for that matter. At that point I realized rationality was not something I would find over there and gave up trying.

UND seems to be at least more aware of the state of their program (budget restraints, past success, etc.) so maybe they'd be more open to some of those players coming in with Sather, but I wouldn't be shocked if there's a lot of fans saying, "Wait a minute, we hire a D2 guy and the first thing he does is bring 'D2 players' to our program?"

On the flipside, if that happens, Sather will either win with them or he won't. That's up to him and his ability as a coach. Fans are always going to find things to complain about.

Leave a comment:

• NSU4LIFE
    replied

My guess is the fanbase at UND would be less than enthused if he brings some incoming recruits with him to UND. Other than USD fans apparently being perfectly happy/celebratory having poached AJ Plitzuweit, there seems to be a pretty healthy disdain from fanbases of the local D1s toward our lowly D2 student athletes. Not that I agree with them, that's just the reality I've observed based on the time I've spent wasting my life reading/commenting on a handful of the local D1 forums.

I need to be clear: THAT IS NOT A KNOCK ON ANY OF NSU'S INCOMING RECRUITS. So please don't receive it as such. Just more an analysis of how those fanbases seem to view the D2 level as a whole (despite only being roughly 10-15 years removed from it themselves).
    I know what you are saying, however, the NSIC has plenty of players who would do just fine in the Summit. Also, when taking over at a new school you typically have players leave and voids to fill quickly. There is one player in particular that if he were to follow I will be furious (for a reason I may or may not ever disclose). The few comments I could find anywhere since there is such a small following, were some less than excited fans.

Paul is a great guy, did a great job coaching at NSU and at BH. It is going to be a tough task to lead UND to Summit glory and quite a shock to Paul as he will be playing in front of crowds less than half the size, that are unenthusiastic and it's just going to be very different for him.

I dont fault him for anything but this caught many by surprise.

Leave a comment:

• Thunder
    replied

My guess is the fanbase at UND would be less than enthused if he brings some incoming recruits with him to UND. Other than USD fans apparently being perfectly happy/celebratory having poached AJ Plitzuweit, there seems to be a pretty healthy disdain from fanbases of the local D1s toward our lowly D2 student athletes. Not that I agree with them, that's just the reality I've observed based on the time I've spent wasting my life reading/commenting on a handful of the local D1 forums.

I need to be clear: THAT IS NOT A KNOCK ON ANY OF NSU'S INCOMING RECRUITS. So please don't receive it as such. Just more an analysis of how those fanbases seem to view the D2 level as a whole (despite only being roughly 10-15 years removed from it themselves).
    Does UND have a fanbase for basketball??? But yes I agree that the fans of D1 schools tend to look down their noses at D2 athletes in general.

Leave a comment:

• Thunder
    replied

I would imagine the first few calls are former Northern players/assistants, but a lot of them recently received new positions (Sunny, Hammer, etc.). I'm sure Steve Smiley will get a call. I don't know much about current assistant Jamie Stevens. He is a former head coach and I would imagine he will be considered. I think Horstman will be a good head coach someday, but I don't know that he will be considered right now. I do believe the Northern job is a very attractive D2 position so they should be able to get a good coach. The question is, does Moon try to "stay within the family" or not? Hopefully whoever is brought in can keep the momentum going towards becoming a regional and even a national D2 power.

Leave a comment:

• MrAugustana
    replied

Question now becomes who goes with him as far as current and incoming players, do we roll with Horstman. We have a wealth of alumni that are in the coaching ranks but most are either D1 positions or head d2 coaches now. Obviously we will have a strong applicant pool but boy is the pressure on to make this a good hire.

Leave a comment:

• NSU4LIFE
    replied

Leave a comment:

• NSUguy
    replied

Well.... who does Northern bring in??

Leave a comment:

• NSU4LIFE
    replied

Now just Dean Berry (baseball) and Tom Dosch (football) will be non-Moon hires on coaching staffs...

Leave a comment:

• NSU4LIFE
    replied

So, the word is Northern's new scoreboard will be very similar to what you will find in Frost Arena. Havent seen any pictures but safe to say that Wachs Arena is going to look a lot different.

Leave a comment:

• Swisher
    replied

Leave a comment:

Ad3

Collapse
Working...
X