Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by NWHoops View Post

If it was down to NW and ESU then ESU should be in. But ESU never appeared in the rankings so it wasn't going to come down to that.

Again, my position is it should be the only criteria when you are comparing 2 teams for a spot or the final spot and they have played each other during the year. If both teams have the criteria to be in consideration for a spot and you are comparing the two, there is no reason the h2h should not be the deciding factor.
    Was it 2 teams though? I think the MIAA teams are probably better, but SEO was ahead of both in the Central Rankings and the last set of Performance Indicators posted on this board. Obviously, they added a worse loss than the other 2, but maybe the committee was still weighing SEO, Fort Hays, and Washburn, and if so, that would kind of eliminate the head to head game and encourage a deeper dive into the other criteria.

Comment

• Originally posted by Alfred33 View Post

Was it 2 teams though? I think the MIAA teams are probably better, but SEO was ahead of both in the Central Rankings and the last set of Performance Indicators posted on this board. Obviously, they added a worse loss than the other 2, but maybe the committee was still weighing SEO, Fort Hays, and Washburn, and if so, that would kind of eliminate the head to head game and encourage a deeper dive into the other criteria.
      I've said multiple times in this thread- assuming it was down to these 2 teams.

Comment

I've said multiple times in this thread- assuming it was down to these 2 teams.
        Fair enough.

Fort Hays is upset because Washburn got in over them and they beat them head to head, but in reality, it may very well be that Washburn got in over them and SEO because of all the other factors that have been posted throughout this discussion. I'm not saying I wouldn't be upset, because I would be, but in a 3 way discussion, the head to head becomes less relevant as a deciding factor, which you acknowledge. We will probably never know how those teams shook out with the committee. For what it is worth, I still thought Washburn was playing for the NCAAs when they played NW in the MIAA tournament. In my head, without diving into any numbers, I thought Fort Hays would get in with a NW win and obviously, I was wrong.

Comment

• Originally posted by Alfred33 View Post

Fair enough.

Fort Hays is upset because Washburn got in over them and they beat them head to head, but in reality, it may very well be that Washburn got in over them and SEO because of all the other factors that have been posted throughout this discussion. I'm not saying I wouldn't be upset, because I would be, but in a 3 way discussion, the head to head becomes less relevant as a deciding factor, which you acknowledge. We will probably never know how those teams shook out with the committee. For what it is worth, I still thought Washburn was playing for the NCAAs when they played NW in the MIAA tournament. In my head, without diving into any numbers, I thought Fort Hays would get in with a NW win and obviously, I was wrong.
          Agreed. My only issue was that all those other factors were being considered when discussing only Ft. Hays and Washburn. If some of the other posters used SEO in their reasoning for looking at the numbers then I have no issue with that.

I just can't wrap my head around comparing Ft. Hays and Washburn while trying to use the numbers and then dismissing h2h as only one factor.

Comment

Agreed. My only issue was that all those other factors were being considered when discussing only Ft. Hays and Washburn. If some of the other posters used SEO in their reasoning for looking at the numbers then I have no issue with that.

I just can't wrap my head around comparing Ft. Hays and Washburn while trying to use the numbers and then dismissing h2h as only one factor.
            You and I will never agree on this because I can't wrap my head around rewarding the #29 (of 42) SOS & #30 record vs ranked opponents because of 1 game.

Comment

• One thing that goes without saying is that everyone knows FHSU is deserving. Just as WU is deserving. I assume there are plenty of other instances when considering the other NCAA DII regional tournaments involved that too many other deserving teams were denied their own opportunity. The current system is simply flawed. The one thing that comes even close to making sense is the thread 'Proposed DII Tournament" put together by MisterWizard.

Comment

• Emporia state men's basketball had an interesting tweet that I posted in the "proposed tournament" thread. I'm posting here as a lot of discussion happen in this thread as well but didn't want to post the same tweet. Maybe move conversation to that thread.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                Working...
                X