Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by NSU4LIFE View Post

They looked out of control, I kept being shocked how the game was even close. UCO didn't look much better than anything I've seen in the NSIC, to be honest. Just one game of course, but I have no idea what to expect this postseason outside of another Northwest title.
    I wouldn't exactly call that a bold take as I believe the top half of the NSIC compares favorably to the top teams in the MIAA. I think there are several teams beyond UCO that could get us in the NCAAs. For a game that we only trailed once, it never felt comfortable... they had an answer every time we looked like we might pull away up until the last 4 or 5 minutes. Watching with an unbiased set of eyes probably feels a little different, but that was a big one for NW because of the stakes and the fact that we've lost a couple in a row to those guys.

Comment

• Originally posted by Alfred33 View Post

I wouldn't exactly call that a bold take as I believe the top half of the NSIC compares favorably to the top teams in the MIAA. I think there are several teams beyond UCO that could get us in the NCAAs. For a game that we only trailed once, it never felt comfortable... they had an answer every time we looked like we might pull away up until the last 4 or 5 minutes. Watching with an unbiased set of eyes probably feels a little different, but that was a big one for NW because of the stakes and the fact that we've lost a couple in a row to those guys.
      Kinda difficult to look at them with unbiased eyes if those same eyes see the antics of their coach...

Hmm...I wonder what the rule book says if when you're being trapped in front of their bench and he's standing directly behind you with his arms flailing like he's guarding you and you loaded up a two hand overhead pass and when you brought the ball behind your head you hit him with significant force directly in the face...purely hypothetically... :)

Comment

• #1 NW plays at noon Thursday 03/02 at Municipal Auditorium in KC vs #8/#9 winner. Win Thursday and they play noon Saturday. Win Saturday and play 1:00 pm Sunday-1st game each day so no standing in the halls waiting for prior game to end!!
        Last edited by NWFanatic; 02-24-2023, 10:47 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by libertybearcat View Post

Kinda difficult to look at them with unbiased eyes if those same eyes see the antics of their coach...

Hmm...I wonder what the rule book says if when you're being trapped in front of their bench and he's standing directly behind you with his arms flailing like he's guarding you and you loaded up a two hand overhead pass and when you brought the ball behind your head you hit him with significant force directly in the face...purely hypothetically... :)
          What was the call in this hypothetical situation? Tech on the UCO coach?

Comment

• Originally posted by Augieholic View Post

I was trying to decipher that post and I think they are suggesting a situation in which one could "accidentally" cause injury to the UCO coach.

In my time watching the 2nd half he seems like he could be what youd see of coach Weick in 40 years when he is no longer dieting and cant complain with as much gusto.

Comment

I was trying to decipher that post and I think they are suggesting a situation in which one could "accidentally" cause injury to the UCO coach.

In my time watching the 2nd half he seems like he could be what youd see of coach Weick in 40 years when he is no longer dieting and cant complain with as much gusto.
              Hahaha... I like that description! He was clearly frustrated at times, and a few times, he probably had a right to be at both the officials and his players. I mean, it's not like Ben doesn't ever stomp around like a toddler. FWIW, he seemed to kind of relish the attention... he engaged with the student section a couple of times, not in a negative way... just kind of seemed to like being the "bad" guy so to speak. I just kind of laugh at guys like that... if you act like every call is the worst call ever made with these large grandiose gestures, how are they ever going to know when they really do screw you on one?
              Last edited by Alfred33; 02-24-2023, 12:49 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Augieholic View Post

There was no call...I was asking what the rule would say...Tech on the Coach for being that close to the court or out of bounds.

In all my years of watching hoops, I've never seen a coach making an effort to be that close to actual on court action like that.

Comment

Yes...purely accidental. :) He literally looked like he was trying to help guard the NW player...was seriously curious on what the rules say the call would be if contact was made with the coach...emphasis added by me...is it a Tech for the coach putting himself in that position or out of bounds off NW.

Comment

• Originally posted by Alfred33 View Post

Hahaha... I like that description! He was clearly frustrated at times, and a few times, he probably had a right to be at both the officials and his players. I mean, it's not like Ben doesn't ever stomp around like a toddler. FWIW, he seemed to kind of relish the attention... he engaged with the student section a couple of times, not in a negative way... just kind of seemed to like being the "bad" guy so to speak. I just kind of laugh at guys like that... if you act like every call is the worst call ever made with these large grandiose gestures, how are they ever going to know when they really do screw you on one?
                    I think it was during Covid, MIAA tourney game at NW vs UCO when he and a UCO player on the court were yelling at each other during game action...not necessarily using clean language...that was a first for me.

I was on the far side...one of the funniest things was every time he'd frantically wave his arms there would be 10 to 30 people in the crowd behind him mimicking him...

All coaches work the refs...he seems to take it to another level about EVERY damn call that goes against him or doesn't go the way he thinks it should go.

I saw him whooping it up with the crowd in the NE corner as he walked off at halftime...I'm sure he enjoys that, I can do without the constant whining and badgering. Refs definitely let both coaches impact the way the game was called. Kinda surprised the more seasoned official allowed that...other times I've seen him officiate he didn't seem to allow that to happen.

Comment

• Originally posted by libertybearcat View Post

I think it was during Covid, MIAA tourney game at NW vs UCO when he and a UCO player on the court were yelling at each other during game action...not necessarily using clean language...that was a first for me.

I was on the far side...one of the funniest things was every time he'd frantically wave his arms there would be 10 to 30 people in the crowd behind him mimicking him...

All coaches work the refs...he seems to take it to another level about EVERY damn call that goes against him or doesn't go the way he thinks it should go.

I saw him whooping it up with the crowd in the NE corner as he walked off at halftime...I'm sure he enjoys that, I can do without the constant whining and badgering. Refs definitely let both coaches impact the way the game was called. Kinda surprised the more seasoned official allowed that...other times I've seen him officiate he didn't seem to allow that to happen.
                      The UCO coach acted the same way in Joplin. It's like he was trying to be part of a trap on the sidelines. Late in the game, UCO was putting on a full court press with 30 seconds left and down by 6. We broke the press, the lane opened up and Christian Bundy had a thunderous dunk to give us an 8 point lead. The UCO coach then started yelling at our coach. In the post-game handshake line, he then stopped and made a scene yelling at the refs after he shook our coach's hand. The UCO AD even came out on the floor yelling at our coach. For a little bit, I thought there was going to be a melee, but it didn't escalate any further. I think Bob Hoffman is a sore loser, and we don't need coaches like him and Craig Doty in the league.
                      Last edited by mosofan1; 02-25-2023, 07:54 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by mosofan1 View Post

The UCO coach acted the same way in Joplin. It's like he was trying to be part of a trap on the sidelines. Late in the game, UCO was putting on a full court press with 30 seconds left and down by 6. We broke the press, the lane opened up and Christian Bundy had a thunderous dunk to give us an 8 point lead. The UCO coach then started yelling at our coach. In the post-game handshake line, he then stopped and made a scene yelling at the refs after he shook our coach's hand. The OCO AD even came out on the floor yelling at our coach. For a little bit, I thought there was going to be a melee, but it didn't escalate any further. I think Bob Hoffman is a sore loser, and we don't need coaches like him and Craig Doty in the league.
                        He comes off as quite the buffoon...

Wow...the AD did too...well, now we know why Coach thinks he can do what he does.

Comment

• early in the MSSU game Diego Bernard pulled another heads up inbound play. He was under the NW basket and the MoSo player nearest him had his back turned. Diego bounced the ball off the MoSo player’s back, caught the ball and had an easy dunk. He’s pulled this trick a few other times.

How would this show in the stats?

Comment

• Originally posted by NWFanatic View Post
                            early in the MSSU game Diego Bernard pulled another heads up inbound play. He was under the NW basket and the MoSo player nearest him had his back turned. Diego bounced the ball off the MoSo player’s back, caught the ball and had an easy dunk. He’s pulled this trick a few other times.

How would this show in the stats?
                            First thought would guess just as a 2 point basket...and a mention during film review. But if a QB can catch a deflection of a pass and it counts as a completion to himself...I'd be perfectly fine with is showing up as an assist and a bucket.

Comment

• NW swept the 4 main awards:
                              MIAA awards:
                              Diego is POY, DPOY & 1st team All Conf
                              Bennett is FOY and 2nd team All conf
                              Wes is 2nd team All Conf
                              Ben is COY
                              Congrats!

Comment

• Originally posted by NWFanatic View Post
                                NW swept the 4 main awards:
                                MIAA awards:
                                Diego is POY, DPOY & 1st team All Conf
                                Bennett is FOY and 2nd team All conf
                                Wes is 2nd team All Conf
                                Ben is COY
                                Congrats!
                                Next year does Jimmy Drew at Lincoln win COY if turning the program from the the bottom of the conference to 5th place was more than a flash in the pan? I see it going either way since tnext year is their last in the conference.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X