Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Another possibility for Ben to leave NW...

Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another possibility for Ben to leave NW...

Just saw https://hoopdirt.com/charlotte-baske...search-update/ UNC Charlotte is rumored to have Ben McCollum to be the leading candidate to take over the HC job there...they paid their last coach almost $500k...could be enough to draw him from Maryville...

Eventually Ben will leave...if this is the time...hate that it would be so late in the process.

Hard to pass that up...

Comment

Originally posted by MrMustang View Post
      Hard to pass that up...
      Unfortunately, I have to agree with you!

Comment

Hoping he stays forever but if he goes (ever) it will be understandable.

I absolutely despise the mentality of hoping your opponents get weaker so your success comes easier.

So looking forward to the rumors being false.

Comment

That's a good job especially for a D2 guy looking to move up. They are coming off a 22-13 season, new AD, high mid-major league, good history, big city etc. Now, the competition may be the current Toledo coach who knows the new Charlotte President. He has done well at UT and UWGB but is on the older side.

Comment

Current Toledo coach told prominent CBB guy he's staying at Toledo. Charlotte media is hearing former Wichita State head coach Isaac Brown is a top candidate as well. We'll see how it shakes out.

Comment

Ben has whipped the crap out of the MIAA for way too long. Cut us some slack Ben, take the money and run. We'll all be rooting for you at your next stop, your record at NWMS is beyond awesome.

Comment

Looks like Ben didn't get the Charlotte job. Looks like another year of whipping in the MIAA.

https://twitter.com/CharlotteMBB/sta...lHSDZpi6w&s=19

Comment

Originally posted by mosofan1 View Post
                  Looks like Ben didn't get the Charlotte job. Looks like another year of whipping in the MIAA.

https://twitter.com/CharlotteMBB/sta...lHSDZpi6w&s=19
                  Just saw that...thanks for sharing!

Comment

The WVU job will probably open up soon.
                    Go Hounds!
                    B-E-A-R-C-A-T-S
                    Cyclone Power
                    ERAU Eagles Soar

Comment

Augustana's Tom Billeter has not had the D2 success as Ben, but has an extensive resume including 5 seasons at NDSU as HC with a 97-50 record. Then D1 asst. at St Johns, Rice, Texas AM and under Hall of Fame coach Lute Olson at AZ. He coached 5 NBA players. After winning NC in 2016 he interviewed for several D1 jobs, including SDSU who only gave him a phone interview, A school 60 miles away! He took over a tough luck Augie program and now has turned it around.

Do not understand why D1 programs are turning a blind eye to Ben McCollum, the man built a National power in a small city in NW MO.

Comment

Originally posted by CatFan88 View Post
                        The WVU job will probably open up soon.
                        And as you know the WVU AD knows Ben well...seems like a pretty high risk hire for your first hire at a new school as a first time P5 AD...has there been any successful transition from D2 directly to a P5 conference in men's hoops? Only one I know was Kim Anderson from Central Missouri to Missouri which was an abject failure.

Comment

Originally posted by vikingfaithful View Post
                          Augustana's Tom Billeter has not had the D2 success as Ben, but has an extensive resume including 5 seasons at NDSU as HC with a 97-50 record. Then D1 asst. at St Johns, Rice, Texas AM and under Hall of Fame coach Lute Olson at AZ. He coached 5 NBA players. After winning NC in 2016 he interviewed for several D1 jobs, including SDSU who only gave him a phone interview, A school 60 miles away! He took over a tough luck Augie program and now has turned it around.

Do not understand why D1 programs are turning a blind eye to Ben McCollum, the man built a National power in a small city in NW MO.
                          Several have come calling, he hasn't liked any enough to make the move...this has been the first year where jobs that pay enough more than what he gets at NW to make them attractive enough to make the move financially. From what I've heard this year he turned down UWGB, Buffalo, UNCC and an assistant coach for a good friend of his at Texas Tech.

Comment

Originally posted by libertybearcat View Post

And as you know the WVU AD knows Ben well...seems like a pretty high risk hire for your first hire at a new school as a first time P5 AD...has there been any successful transition from D2 directly to a P5 conference in men's hoops? Only one I know was Kim Anderson from Central Missouri to Missouri which was an abject failure.
                            As soon as Huggins resigned, there were some mentions about the Baker-McCollum connection on Twitter. Wren might sniff out Ben's interest, but to me that would be a major leap of faith to actively pursue Ben. I think Ben is gonna have to prove himself at a mid-major before a P5 comes calling.
                            Last edited by CatFan88; 06-18-2023, 02:34 PM.
                            Go Hounds!
                            B-E-A-R-C-A-T-S
                            Cyclone Power
                            ERAU Eagles Soar

Comment

Originally posted by CatFan88 View Post

As soon as Huggins resigned, there were some mentions about the Baker-McCollum connection on Twitter. Wren might sniff out Ben's interest, but to me that would be a major leap of faith to actively pursue Ben. I think Ben is gonna have to prove himself at a mid-major before a P5 comes calling.
                              Agreed! I was surprised he didn't jump at the Assistant at Texas Tech...thought that could have also been a path to a HC at a P5. And the money was significantly more.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X