Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by mosofan1 View Post

The transfer game has been more prevalent the last few years due to the extra Covid year. Unless a kid got a medical redshirt too, next year is the last year of kids with the extra Covid year. While it will not be the same as it used to be, transfers may decrease some and high school kids may get better opportunities.
    I agree with this. While the transfer portal will always be around, I don't think the numbers will be quite as crazy. The COVID years created a domino effect, where not only are schools bringing in players who found an extra year (Hazekamp example), but the ripple created situations where guys later buried on the depth chart as a result will choose to move on. Eventually, the ripples will smooth out.

Comment

• I did a quick and dirty tweak and update, but not 100% sure I have everyone in there at the moment.

AUGUSTANA
      OUT
      Dallas Bear (to D2 Emporia State)
      Caden Kirkman
      Brayson Laube (to D2 Emporia State)
      Arhman Lewis
      IN
      DonDon Ferguson (from D1 Coppin State)
      Jack Hastreiter (from D1 South Dakota State)
      Tanner TeSlaa (from D1 South Dakota State)

BEMIDJI STATE
      OUT
      Barnell Davis
      Ty Miller
      Colin Schaefer
      Johnny Tennyson

CONCORDIA-ST. PAUL
      OUT
      DJ Akpati
      John Grigsby
      James Jacobs
      IN
      Cade Meyer (from D1 Northern Kentucky)

UM-CROOKSTON
      OUT
      Mario Adams
      Myles Adams
      Peter Fuchs Jr.
      Blaize Sagna (Second Team All-NSIC)

UM-DULUTH
      OUT
      Lincoln Meister

U-MARY
      OUT
      Gerald Gittens (to D2 Northern Michigan)
      Brock Heffner
      Jeremiah Jones
      Payton Mogire
      Prince Oseya

MINNESOTA STATE
      OUT
      Hamahrie Bowers
      Sam Nissen

MSU-MOORHEAD
      OUT
      Jamir Price (First Team All-NSIC, Newcomer of the Year)
      Ja'Kair Sanchez (Second Team All-NSIC)
      IN
      Sam Hastreiter (from D1 North Dakota State)
      Ramar Pryor (from D1 Cleveland State)

NORTHERN STATE
      OUT
      Andrew Bergan
      Josh Dilling (Second Team All-NSIC)
      Isaiah Hagen
      Trey Longstreet
      Jacksen Moni (First Team All-NSIC)
      Ian Motschenbacher

SIOUX FALLS
      OUT
      Archer VanSickle

ST. CLOUD STATE
      OUT
      Dominic Aguilar
      Tony Dahl
      Andre Renta

WAYNE STATE
      OUT
      Trey Deveaux (Second Team All-NSIC) (to D1 Western Illinois)
      David Harmon
      Alec Millender (to D1 IUPUI)
      Elijah Watson

WINONA STATE
      OUT
      Drew Adams
      Olumide Adelodun
      Tyler Borowski
      Bryant Brown
      Connor Dillon (First Team All-NSIC) (to D1 Bradley)
      Declan Dillon
      Nate Montgomery
      Jordan Wilkins

Comment

• Originally posted by Moorhead123 View Post

So you are taking a shot a Moorhead by saying they are trying to emulate the reigning National Champions? Transfer portal isn’t going anywhere. Some teams use it more than others. It is tough on guys that have been in program for a while. Not sure there is any good answer. I prefer the old system, but it’s a new reality. Many of the top teams in country are going to bring a few transfers every year.
        nope. I am saying if I am a HS recruit I would look elsewhere. I don't begrudge them for wanting to do this. Just HS recruits should beware

Comment

• Originally posted by Purple Mav Man View Post

You mean the team that just won the national title??
          what a ridiculous statement. Just admit you’re old and hate change.
          I am old and hate change

Comment

• Originally posted by Stanger86 View Post

Mankato didn't just switch to this philosophy this year, so it hasn't exactly been foolproof.

I do think it's interesting looking at the Mavs history actually. What are their two worst teams in recent history? By record, they are 2019-20 (17-15) and 2011-12 (7-19), and only his first two seasons come close. How many transfers did each team have? 2019-20 had Kelby Kramer, but it looks like he was the only transfer into the team if I'm reading the roster correctly. And it doesn't look like 2011-12 had any transfers.

Sometimes, some coaches are just better at recruiting a different kind of player. It sure seems like Margs has success finding kids looking for a fresh start, a new opportunity. I expect him to continue to thrive in this transfer portal era. Credit to him for getting the Willinghams to stay close to home though.
            correct. This has been Marganthaler for years and sometimes it doesnt work. This year it worked perfectly

Comment

• Originally posted by Purple Mav Man View Post

You mean the team that just won the national title??
              what a ridiculous statement. Just admit you’re old and hate change.
              I believe this is a not a positive thing for D2 athletics. I get D1 where players are now being paid 6 figures. Overall, not a good development for D2 given the need for somwhat stable fan bases and support.

Comment

• Originally posted by Moorhead123 View Post
                I think most coaches would admit that high school recruiting is still main priority, but changes with transfer rules has probably increased the focus on transfers. In some respects hard to blame these coaches as players are also not as loyal anymore given their quick trigger to transfer in many cases.
                I am not sure it is in the main priority any more. I think that has changed for many teams and programs

Comment

• Originally posted by Stanger86 View Post
                  I did a quick and dirty tweak and update, but not 100% sure I have everyone in there at the moment.

AUGUSTANA
                  OUT
                  Dallas Bear (to D2 Emporia State)
                  Caden Kirkman
                  Brayson Laube (to D2 Emporia State)
                  Arhman Lewis
                  IN
                  DonDon Ferguson (from D1 Coppin State)
                  Jack Hastreiter (from D1 South Dakota State)
                  Tanner TeSlaa (from D1 South Dakota State)

BEMIDJI STATE
                  OUT
                  Barnell Davis
                  Ty Miller
                  Colin Schaefer
                  Johnny Tennyson

CONCORDIA-ST. PAUL
                  OUT
                  DJ Akpati
                  John Grigsby
                  James Jacobs
                  IN
                  Cade Meyer (from D1 Northern Kentucky)

UM-CROOKSTON
                  OUT
                  Mario Adams
                  Myles Adams
                  Peter Fuchs Jr.
                  Blaize Sagna (Second Team All-NSIC)

UM-DULUTH
                  OUT
                  Lincoln Meister

U-MARY
                  OUT
                  Gerald Gittens (to D2 Northern Michigan)
                  Brock Heffner
                  Jeremiah Jones
                  Payton Mogire
                  Prince Oseya

MINNESOTA STATE
                  OUT
                  Hamahrie Bowers
                  Sam Nissen

MSU-MOORHEAD
                  OUT
                  Jamir Price (First Team All-NSIC, Newcomer of the Year)
                  Ja'Kair Sanchez (Second Team All-NSIC)
                  IN
                  Sam Hastreiter (from D1 North Dakota State)
                  Ramar Pryor (from D1 Cleveland State)

NORTHERN STATE
                  OUT
                  Andrew Bergan
                  Josh Dilling (Second Team All-NSIC)
                  Isaiah Hagen
                  Trey Longstreet
                  Jacksen Moni (First Team All-NSIC)
                  Ian Motschenbacher

SIOUX FALLS
                  OUT
                  Archer VanSickle

ST. CLOUD STATE
                  OUT
                  Dominic Aguilar
                  Tony Dahl
                  Andre Renta

WAYNE STATE
                  OUT
                  Trey Deveaux (Second Team All-NSIC) (to D1 Western Illinois)
                  David Harmon
                  Alec Millender (to D1 IUPUI)
                  Elijah Watson

WINONA STATE
                  OUT
                  Drew Adams
                  Olumide Adelodun
                  Tyler Borowski
                  Bryant Brown
                  Connor Dillon (First Team All-NSIC) (to D1 Bradley)
                  Declan Dillon
                  Nate Montgomery
                  Jordan Wilkins
                  So WSC had 2 D1 kids ...

either means they vastly underperformed or the NSIC is a damn good and tough conference - best in D2

Comment

• Well, 2 kids that went to lower level D1 schools which, as we've all known for a long time, is on par with the NSIC. Granted the NSIC teams as a whole would have a hard time coming up with a .500 record against those schools but we all know that there are kids who can get some minutes at that level. They went to D1 schools and they will hopefully be contributors, but I don't see them being stars. Look at a kid like Jack Gohlke from Oakland, transfer from D2 Hillsdale. I watched them play about 4 times this year and he was solid, but not spectacular like he was in the tourney, then he gets hot against Kentucky, for 1 game, they pull a massive upset and he's everybody's new darling. I would venture a guess that if he wants to continue playing next year it will have to be overseas.

Comment

• With regard to the question about what's the priority: high school recruits or transfer? I would think the priority shifts by time of year. Recruiting through the transfer portal seems to be fast-and-furious right after a season concludes. In March & April your coaches are likely spending all or most of their time recruiting transfers (and maybe a little bit more through the summer if your roster isn't set). But recruiting high schoolers seems to be a more prolonged exercise, often spanning a guy's junior & senior years (especially the summers through club ball). And by March & April, their HS seniors are probably committed, while HS juniors aren't making huge decisions yet.

I welcome anyone who knows more to correct me on this, but it doesn't seem to me that these two areas overlap too much where one takes "priority" over the other. To butcher an analogy, I think coaches can run (transfer recruiting) & chew gum (high schoolers) at the same time.

Comment

• Another big reason for recruiting HS kids is building a relationship with them. Then if they hit the portal later, the groundwork is already laid.

I just find it laughable that I’ve been reading the same comments for 15 years. “Why would any HS kid go to Mankato??” And here we are again.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mark Emmert's Burner View Post
                          With regard to the question about what's the priority: high school recruits or transfer? I would think the priority shifts by time of year. Recruiting through the transfer portal seems to be fast-and-furious right after a season concludes. In March & April your coaches are likely spending all or most of their time recruiting transfers (and maybe a little bit more through the summer if your roster isn't set). But recruiting high schoolers seems to be a more prolonged exercise, often spanning a guy's junior & senior years (especially the summers through club ball). And by March & April, their HS seniors are probably committed, while HS juniors aren't making huge decisions yet.

I welcome anyone who knows more to correct me on this, but it doesn't seem to me that these two areas overlap too much where one takes "priority" over the other. To butcher an analogy, I think coaches can run (transfer recruiting) & chew gum (high schoolers) at the same time.
                          The only thing I'd disagree with you on in terms of priority is that the recruiting budget (ie scholarships) is a place where priority may exist.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mark Emmert's Burner View Post
                            With regard to the question about what's the priority: high school recruits or transfer? I would think the priority shifts by time of year. Recruiting through the transfer portal seems to be fast-and-furious right after a season concludes. In March & April your coaches are likely spending all or most of their time recruiting transfers (and maybe a little bit more through the summer if your roster isn't set). But recruiting high schoolers seems to be a more prolonged exercise, often spanning a guy's junior & senior years (especially the summers through club ball). And by March & April, their HS seniors are probably committed, while HS juniors aren't making huge decisions yet.

I agree with your recruiting timelines. Coaches also recruit HS guys who are bound for D1 as they familiarize them with their program as they might be in the portal in the future. I assume coaches re-recruit their own players in an attempt to keep them. You have to be a helluva salesperson to be college coach.

Comment

• Dragons get commitment from 6’3” SG Levi Burkholz transferring from The Citadel with 3 years eligibility remaining. Msum recruited him out of high school along with a few other NSIC teams. Appears to be another solid pickup from Coach Bergstrasser and staff.

Comment

• Looks like we might need to put Augie up there with Mankato and Moorhead regarding the transfer portal.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X