Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Thunder View Post
    He's on a pretty incredible rise over the last 6 or so years and I'm happy to see him back home (again) as the head coach. Every place he has been over that time has seen improvement and had good seasons. I would love to see Sunny in the same place for a few years to see what kind of program he can build. I think he is a fantastic coach and has an unmatched energy. I don't think he's reached the end of his coaching journey yet either, but I look forward to seeing what he can do with the Cowboys.
    I somewhat expected that this would be where he'd end up before too long. I don't know if he'll keep rising up the ranks down the road, though I personally think he'd have more success than Tim Miles at that next step up the coaching ladder beyond the Mountain West. His energy and "juice" on the sidelines and on the recruiting trail should serve him useful in his efforts recruiting kids to Laramie. But like the U of M, I believe Wyoming has struggled to put together NLI funds. That's possibly his biggest hurdle to overcome.

Side note: I wonder if he could lure his brother out of coaching retirement.

Comment

Originally posted by Purple Mav Man View Post
      Any time you can get a coach with a career record of 48-46 you have to do it.

Comment

Originally posted by Augieholic View Post

Any time you can get a coach with a career record of 48-46 you have to do it.
        Fine...I'll bite...

Mo West 2017-2018 6-21
        Green Bay 2022-2023 3-29

Comment

Fine...I'll bite...

Mo West 2017-2018 6-21
          Green Bay 2022-2023 3-29
          I'm sure it's a complete coincidence that those are the records of the programs before he took them over, it's hard to fall short of expectations that don't exist.

Comment

I'm sure it's a complete coincidence that those are the records of the programs before he took them over, it's hard to fall short of expectations that don't exist.
            You can joke about his record being barely above .500, but going from 9-50 to 48-46 is impressive. On another note, his replacement at Green Bay is an interesting hire as well. I can't say that I ever listen to Gottlieb, but some of his stuff does make it across my timeline. It will be interesting to see a mid to low level D1 college coach continue a national radio show at the same time.

Comment

You can joke about his record being barely above .500, but going from 9-50 to 48-46 is impressive. On another note, his replacement at Green Bay is an interesting hire as well. I can't say that I ever listen to Gottlieb, but some of his stuff does make it across my timeline. It will be interesting to see a mid to low level D1 college coach continue a national radio show at the same time.
              At least Sundance has experience as a basketball coach. The hiring of Gottlieb is a PR stunt by Josh Moon that will likely temporarily raise the exposure of the UWGB brand and ultimately fail spectacularly. Gottlieb continuing to do his radio show while coaching basically means the assistant coaches will be in charge and Doug will be a puppet. Congrats Josh Moon, you did it.

Comment

At least Sundance has experience as a basketball coach. The hiring of Gottlieb is a PR stunt by Josh Moon that will likely temporarily raise the exposure of the UWGB brand and ultimately fail spectacularly. Gottlieb continuing to do his radio show while coaching basically means the assistant coaches will be in charge and Doug will be a puppet. Congrats Josh Moon, you did it.
                I thought that the Gophers allowing Lindsey Whalen to keep playing in the WNBA and missing her team's trip to Italy where you do a lot of bonding was a mistake- just like this is. You can't do both at once.

Comment

Originally posted by laker View Post

I thought that the Gophers allowing Lindsey Whalen to keep playing in the WNBA and missing her team's trip to Italy where you do a lot of bonding was a mistake- just like this is. You can't do both at once.
                  Hiring her as the head coach was a mistake in general. Total PR move all the way through.

Comment

You are all welcome.

Comment

Originally posted by Stanger86 View Post
                      You are all welcome.

I have to admit as a mowest alum i thought the schtick would wear off. But it hasn’t so far, people seem to believe. Sometimes in life, that’s all you need is to believe. Interesting to see how he does Eventually When he’s days more longer-term.

Comment

Originally posted by southside View Post

I have to admit as a mowest alum i thought the schtick would wear off. But it hasn’t so far, people seem to believe. Sometimes in life, that’s all you need is to believe. Interesting to see how he does Eventually When he’s days more longer-term.
                        It's not a Schtick, when I got to Northern towards the end of his undergrad, he has been the same dude the entire time.

It isn't at all my personality and if i didnt know him to the whatever extent that I do personally, I would absolutely have many terms for him. I could never be that way, but he is true to himself and mixes in the coach Meyer stuff. It's a good mix and has worked for him.

Comment

Originally posted by NSU4LIFE View Post

It's not a Schtick, when I got to Northern towards the end of his undergrad, he has been the same dude the entire time.

It isn't at all my personality and if i didnt know him to the whatever extent that I do personally, I would absolutely have many terms for him. I could never be that way, but he is true to himself and mixes in the coach Meyer stuff. It's a good mix and has worked for him.
                          I agree. You can’t fake it that long. That was a poor choice of words on my part. What I meant was when you hit a tough stretch that positivity would be annoying but his attitude worked then too.

Comment

Originally posted by NSU4LIFE View Post

I think his personality is really going to be beneficial in a place like Laramie. Especially when it's inside a package of being a Wyoming native. Have to drum up interest both for fan attendance and NLI funds. That can require a lot of energy.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X