Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2016-2017 Kentucky Wesleyan basketball thread.

Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2016-2017 Kentucky Wesleyan basketball thread.

Originally posted by Panther Express View Post
    I wonder if KWC could play a much different style offensively than we have seen since Happy has been here. The recruiting class seems to contain several guards who have big time range and shoot many threes and at a high percentage. Since Happy has been at KWC we have been a team who drives to the rim almost exclusively. We have been in the bottom of the entire region for three point attempts per game. Is that just his system or was he doing that based on the players on the team?

I'll be interested to see how next year's team plays out in that regard. We traded twos for threes too often so being able to put a squad on the floor to keep pace on the perimeter could be an improvement. It'll be tough to replace Jacks and Bosley and I subjectively don't expect a better season without them considering the recruiting class. But, if we are a better perimeter team we could be dangerous if I want to be glass half full. Bell, Johnson, and Redix all have serious range which excites me as a fan. I still hope we have a big man waiting to sign too though. Our frontcourt is much too thin but I'm guessing the staff realizes that as well and we'll see a big man sign before all is said and done.
    KWC dominated conference play this past season, especially offensively. Their average spread in conference was just over +20 ppg.

They were not dead last in every 3 point field goal statistic either. One reason why they did not shoot a lot of threes was due to the style of defense they played. They got out fast in transition and scored off steals.

Last year's team was not terrific rebounding the ball on defense. That will need to change starting this Fall. We can question everything that a coach does, but it will do us no good.

If you are a baseball coach and you have a senior pitcher on the mound in the 7th inning with a one run lead, do you leave him in or take him out after 90 pitches when you know as a coach that he is the Most Valuable Pitcher on the team? Sometimes, teams lose because the other team is better.

You have to play to your strengths as a coach. Not every shooter is like Ken-Jah Bosley who plays and shoots better in the big games.

I like man to man defense, and playing it as tough as possible. I also don't like the 3 point shot. It makes no sense, and James Naismith would agree with me.

Comment

Bob Knight hated the 3 pointer as well. He was a purist when it came to basketball. That carried over concerning his success. Steve Alford learned a lot from Bobby Knight, but in the long run he will be more respected due to his tempered demeanor.

Alford would be well served by staying at UCLA, unless he lands an NBA position as a Head Coach. Brad Stevens could be the best coach in the game of basketball right now.

Great basketball coaches, and I do not carry the word great lightly, are highly intelligent, above reproach morally and never allows their emotions to control them. That's why John Wooden will never be replicated. Great coaches are almost always good college basketball players.

Relating to the press is also a necessary skill that all coaches need to have in their arsenal. John Wooden had it all. A great D2 coach needs to know the game and having been a good college player is almost a necessity.

There are always cracks in most coach's armor, and that's what makes basketball entertaining. D2 has some entertaining coaches. Rodney Watson is not one of them. Happy Osborne is a lot more entertaining and I want Happy to be successful this season. We need Coach Osborne to be successful this season. He has secured the rest of his college coaching career. He just needs to get over that hump.

He can get over that hump this upcoming season with the talent he has already, and with the talent coming in. However, Coach Osborne knows himself that he needs to change some of his coaching strategy. He has done a lot of good for the G-MAC, but he can do better.

Malek Harris and Sam Williams have the potential of being the two best players in this region. If he can build this year's team around them with basic fundamental coaching, he will do well. I know if he brings in a player they have talent. Still, winning big in high school and the NAIA is easier than D2, because D2 has a lot more depth in the top 64 programs.

The big question for Happy at his age is - can he put into practice what he has learned the past four seasons and still be Happy? I hope so. I really do.
      Last edited by alumnifan; 05-24-2017, 12:34 AM.

Comment

KWC has a great baseball coach in Todd Lillpop. He has quietly gone about his business and is loyal to a fault. I don't say that in a bad way. Coach Lillpop along with Caleb and Nicole Nieman represent the type of personnel that Kentucky Wesleyan has desperately needed in their positions. All three of them are invaluable to the entire athletic department. All of the coach's at Wesleyan display a similar demeanor. They just have not had the funding to turn the corner, but I really liked what I saw this past academic year.

My emotional disability has prevented me from being the type of alum that I desired to be even in my freshmen year. Yet, I can still turn the corner before I meet my maker.

Why would any coach want to come to a college and take over a head coaching position with no facilities and little funding. Tony Rowe did just that and has not yet even had a Track and Field for his teams. Hopefully, that will change this summer and he will be able to field a competitive full team for both sides soon. Part of me wants to believe that Coach Rowe came to Wesleyan because of the many teachers the college has placed in the Owensboro public schools.

KWC has gone through a difficult time over the past 14 years. I just want Bart Darrell, the Board of Trustees, the Facult, the entire coaching staff, and campus employees to know that their efforts and loyalty have not gone unnoticed. The best is yet to come for Kentucky Wesleyan College in every facet of it's mission. That is The Wesleyan Way!
        Last edited by alumnifan; 05-24-2017, 01:30 AM.

Comment

Jonathan Barns, 6'10 245. When you speak of me speak well.

Comment

Originally posted by Wesleyan62 View Post
            Jonathan Barns, 6'10 245. When you speak of me speak well.
            Is he transferring to KWC for his senior year? Looks like he got clearance from the Wyoming Head Coach. Nothing official as far as I know, but I do know the college has had a connection to Colorado. I talked to a Sig Ep awhile back who graduated from Wesleyan and was from Colorado.

You always had the inside information. He would definitely fill that Center slot.
            🏀🏀🏀🏀🏀🏀🏀🏀

Comment

He desperately wants to play International basketball, and we got an alum who can hook him up.

Comment

is JJ Johnson back at Audubon?

Comment

Originally posted by DJ Silky Panties View Post
                  Screw you rookie.

Comment

Originally posted by DJ Silky Panties View Post
                    I don't live in Henderson, JJ. Nor do I live in Carbondale. The place still needs some work, but it will all get done before I die.

Comment

Yes, because the DI transfers that Happy has brought in have been hugely successful...

Originally posted by alumnifan View Post
                      Is he transferring to KWC for his senior year? Looks like he got clearance from the Wyoming Head Coach. Nothing official as far as I know, but I do know the college has had a connection to Colorado. I talked to a Sig Ep awhile back who graduated from Wesleyan and was from Colorado.

You always had the inside information. He would definitely fill that Center slot.
                      

Comment

Originally posted by WestSideMafia View Post
                        Yes, because the DI transfers that Happy has brought in have been hugely successful...
                        I'd say

Malek Harris
                        Marcus Fillyaw
                        Charles Foster
                        Sam Williams
                        Lonnie Hayes
                        Devin Langford
                        CJ Blackwell
                        Tamron Manning
                        Brandon Hatton
                        Jermaine Morgan

Have all been pretty successful. Some moreso than others, and some will have more years to make bigger impacts. I certainly wouldn't call any of them failures as far as making an impact on the team.

Comment

Originally posted by kwcpantherfan View Post
                          I'd say

Malek Harris
                          Marcus Fillyaw
                          Charles Foster
                          Sam Williams
                          Lonnie Hayes
                          Devin Langford
                          CJ Blackwell
                          Tamron Manning
                          Brandon Hatton
                          Jermaine Morgan

Have all been pretty successful. Some moreso than others, and some will have more years to make bigger impacts. I certainly wouldn't call any of them failures as far as making an impact on the team.
                          If it is true I was him well at KWC, but I must say the 1 year left players have not been a succes, I am not a fan of it, and it is not a good way to build a program!!!!!!!

Comment

That's wish him well. According to article I read he never played

Comment

We mainly need depth in the front court at this point. The guard situation looks pretty good right now, Williams is a good wing or we can play 3 guards, but especially if Elkins isn't able to come back this year we're thin up front with only having Harris and Quinn. I also prefer at least 2 years from a transfer, but a big 1 year guy that can rebound and take space inside would be better than nothing.

Comment

Rumor but a pretty good source " Most of last years team will be gone" Happy looking to bring in 8 new players.

The rumored big guy has a great body but can not shoot, can not jump, can not play defense, sets poor picks. I do not believe he has had one good coach from watching him. I have never seen a juco team where he would start. I would say big Mike is about 175% better. Let's hope the rumor is wrong or he is a RS walk on.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X