Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2016-2017 Kentucky Wesleyan basketball thread.

Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2016-2017 Kentucky Wesleyan basketball thread.

As a native American might say, you speak with a forked tongue. No team would rather be a sixth or seven seed as opposed to a fourth seed.

Comment

Originally posted by alumnifan View Post
      As a native American might say, you speak with a forked tongue. No team would rather be a sixth or seven seed as opposed to a fourth seed.
      I'm not sure why you would classify my statement as an untruth. First, it's an opinion and by definition not a matter of fact. Secondly, speaking with a forked tongue implies a desire to mislead, why would I mislead about my opinion? Thirdly, as to the substance of my opinion, it is based on the rather obvious fact that most teams would prefer to avoid the #1 seed playing at home, especially when there is likely little difference in quality bewteen the 3rd seed and the 4th and 5th seed. You tell me why it would be worse to be a 6th seed than a 4th or 5th seed?

Comment

Originally posted by Knightmoves View Post
        I'm not sure why you would classify my statement as an untruth. First, it's an opinion and by definition not a matter of fact. Secondly, speaking with a forked tongue implies a desire to mislead, why would I mislead about my opinion? Thirdly, as to the substance of my opinion, it is based on the rather obvious fact that most teams would prefer to avoid the #1 seed playing at home, especially when there is likely little difference in quality bewteen the 3rd seed and the 4th and 5th seed. You tell me why it would be worse to be a 6th seed than a 4th or 5th seed?
        If the seedings represented a significant gap in team strength then obviously alumnifan is correct in that you'd want to be as high a seed as possible, even if it was just a 4 or 5 rather than a 6. But I tend to agree with your point which I think rests on the premise that there is actually very little gap in team strengths seed to seed (in our region, at least) which means that by landing at 6 you get the advantage of the earliest possible matchup against the host school being in the regional finals. Obviously the same is true for the 3 seed. So to your point, it looks like in our region, where parity is king, the least desirable seeds to have are first #8, then #4/5.

Comment

Originally posted by kwcpantherfan View Post
          If the seedings represented a significant gap in team strength then obviously alumnifan is correct in that you'd want to be as high a seed as possible, even if it was just a 4 or 5 rather than a 6. But I tend to agree with your point which I think rests on the premise that there is actually very little gap in team strengths seed to seed (in our region, at least) which means that by landing at 6 you get the advantage of the earliest possible matchup against the host school being in the regional finals. Obviously the same is true for the 3 seed. So to your point, it looks like in our region, where parity is king, the least desirable seeds to have are first #8, then #4/5.
          Exactamundo!

Comment

Originally posted by kwcpantherfan View Post
            Agree 100%, except that #8 is perhaps the best seed of all if your other option is #9

Comment

Originally posted by Knightmoves View Post
              Agree 100%, except that #8 is perhaps the best seed of all if your other option is #9
              Indeed.

Comment

I already thought about the 4 - 5 seeds. A 4 seed is what I expected after the Michigan Tech road win. I just wanted revenge against UWP and I wanted KWC to play USI again. Now, it looks like Findlay will be our opener. That matchup is the future of the G-MAC. Bellarmine would love to get a shot at Findlay in the Regional. If that is Wesleyan's bracket, I like it. It's good exposure for D2 basketball in Kentucky.

Comment

Oh, btw, the KWC women's team won their first Indoor Invitational at Depauw. They have some impressive athletes. It will be interesting to see how they do in the G-MAC Indoor Track and Field Championship.

Both Track and Field teams are improving. When will the new outdoor Track and Field complex be finished?

Comment

• Goat meat for all 🐐

Comment

Flattest half we've played in 2 years

Comment

I already thought about the 4 - 5 seeds. A 4 seed is what I expected after the Michigan Tech road win. I just wanted revenge against UWP and I wanted KWC to play USI again. Now, it looks like Findlay will be our opener. That matchup is the future of the G-MAC. Bellarmine would love to get a shot at Findlay in the Regional. If that is Wesleyan's bracket, I like it. It's good exposure for D2 basketball in Kentucky.
                        Halftime against Cedarville and we are playing like crap. Once again I will say it, our 3pt defense sucks sucks sucks!!!! Ironically in the paper Coach Happy talked about working on transition defense and ball movement defense, but no mention of perimeter/3 pt defense. I don't get it. Derksen continues to give us nothing. We are not peaking at right time. Not looking good win or lose tonight. Mind you our opponents dismal record

Comment

It was a win. It also was the worst first half I have seen this season. They played good enough to win. We can look at the box score, but this type of game would get KWC beat by 20 to 25 points in the regional tournament. I know the whole home winning streak maybe messing with them. They could easily lose on the road next week. Something is just not clicking.

Comment

It was a win. It also was the worst first half I have seen this season. They played good enough to win. We can look at the box score, but this type of game would get KWC beat by 20 to 25 points in the regional tournament. I know the whole home winning streak maybe messing with them. They could easily lose on the road next week. Something is just not clicking.
                            Well said, we would be an easy out in tournament, something amiss

Comment

Our defense in the first half wasn't that bad. The live stats don't give you the option to look at a half at a time so I don't know exactly what the shooting %s were, but I know we held them under 40% overall in the first half. I think it was just over 40% from 3. Our offense, on the other hand, was A-W-F-U-L. And honestly, that doesn't concern me much at all because we really don't have any issues offensively, we just had a bad half at that end of the court, which is going to happen sometimes. We came out in the second half and scored 26 points in the first 9 minutes of the half - to match what we scored the entire first half. Now, I do agree that having that kind of performance against any team that makes the regional is a recipe for disaster, but I think offensively we are going to be just fine.

Say what you want about Cedarville's record but just like everyone else that comes into the Sportscenter they WANTED the win. #4 in the region? #13 in the nation? Undefeated in league? Hosting the league tourney? All checks...and each one of those means a bigger bullseye on our backs. And if you've watched much basketball in your life you should know that this time of year records really don't mean that much. Anyone can beat anyone else in late February and March. Don't believe me? Check the Parkside at St. Joe's score.

Late in the second half we stretched the lead out to 17. In the last 5 minutes of the game they closed that back down to 8, part of which was due to some of the luckiest shots I've ever seen. Down the stretch there were at least 3 where it just looked like they kind of slung it at the basket and it went straight in. Such is the way of the basketball gods I guess.

Final thought for tonight - Cedarville played very good against us tonight. They are a classy institution with a good young coach that can make some noise in the next few years. It's going to be very interesting to see how they rise to the challenge as the league grows and improves.

Comment

A basketball team will rarely turn the ball over two more times than their opponent and win. Their field goal percentage was around 50 percent. Their free throw percentage was poor to bad.

Ken-Jah Bosley could have shot the ball more. I didn't like that angle of play.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X