Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: UW-Parkside banned from post-season 2017-18

I admire the KNews insight and Intelligence, but if three incompetent hires in the Athletic Department are to blame, that's three too many.

Comment

Originally posted by DUPanther View Post
      Kendale McCullum to Lewis.
      He'd better have to sit out a year, per GLVC rules. They certainly made sure of that when a player transferred to KWC when we were in the GLVC.

Comment

Originally posted by kwcpantherfan View Post
        He'd better have to sit out a year, per GLVC rules. They certainly made sure of that when a player transferred to KWC when we were in the GLVC.
        Nope, because of their probation, players do not have to sit out a year.

It looks to me that UW-P basketball team is completely dessimated. One returning player of the top 6 in minutes played. Both big guys, Zag and Flannigan are gone as well as McCullum.

Comment

GLVC a leaky ship. They will do much to keep schools and fans on board.

Comment

Originally posted by Knightmoves View Post

It looks to me that UW-P basketball team is completely dessimated. One returning player of the top 6 in minutes played. Both big guys, Zag and Flannigan are gone as well as McCullum.
            GLVC didn't seem to consider any kind of extenuating circumstances in our case. Go figure. Can't say as I'm surprised.

Comment

GLVC didn't seem to consider any kind of extenuating circumstances in our case. Go figure. Can't say as I'm surprised.
              In what case?

Comment

Originally posted by Looking For 9 View Post
                GLVC a leaky ship. They will do much to keep schools and fans on board.
                I'm predicting that Indy will leave for the GMAC within a couple years. When that happens, if Bellarmine hasn't already decided to go a different direction, they probably will as well. Ditto USI. Parkside and Lewis will probably look to the GLIAC.

GLVC will become a predominantly Missouri conference, with Quincy (if they're still around), UIS, and McKendree thrown in. If that were to happen you'd probably see at least 2 and maybe 3-4 MIAA schools bolt the MIAA to join. Jewell back to NAIA. Conference offices moved to St. Louis and Jim Naum out of a job.

Comment

In what case?
                  Player was injured late in his soph season at Bellarmine and transferred to KWC but was out medically for a full year, but since he wasn't out an "active" year he had to sit a second year per the GLVC.

Comment

Player was injured late in his soph season at Bellarmine and transferred to KWC but was out medically for a full year, but since he wasn't out an "active" year he had to sit a second year per the GLVC.
                    Was Bellarmine on probation at the time?

Comment

Was Bellarmine on probation at the time?
                      No, but again, it's called extenuating circumstances. And the fact is the GLVC is willing to waive rules when it suits them and not when it suits them. They're within their rights to do so - they ARE their rules.

Comment

No, but again, it's called extenuating circumstances. And the fact is the GLVC is willing to waive rules when it suits them and not when it suits them. They're within their rights to do so - they ARE their rules.
                        Apples and oranges. It's standard in the NCAA for players to get to transfer without penalty if their school gets put on probation. Happens all the time.

Comment

Apples and oranges. It's standard in the NCAA for players to get to transfer without penalty if their school gets put on probation. Happens all the time.
                          It's standard in NCAA Division II that a player doesn't have to sit out when transferring from one D2 school to another ... this has nothing to do with the NCAA - it's the GLVC's rule that says transfers have to sit out a year when moving to another school in the conference.

Comment

It's standard in NCAA Division II that a player doesn't have to sit out when transferring from one D2 school to another ... this has nothing to do with the NCAA - it's the GLVC's rule that says transfers have to sit out a year when moving to another school in the conference.
                            When you're talking about an intraconference transfer, that's not true. I'd bet that all NCAA D2 conferences have a rule in place that stipulates an athlete has to sit if they transfer within the conference. I know the GMAC does. So, the rule is not out of the ordinary.

It's also standard practice for student-athletes to be waived the 1-year requirement when their school is put on probation, whether that be from the conference or the NCAA.

Comment

Originally posted by Knightmoves View Post

Zagorac is only eligible to play one semester because of the 8 semesters per 5 years rule. He started out going to a different school and didn't even play basketball, so he wouldn't have been on the roster until after the holidays anyway. Of course, whether he plays out that semester now, who knows?

Flanagan is not related to the probation. I know what it is, but I was told off the record, so I won't comment.

McCullum is the only upperclassmen that's leaving because of the probation. Chip Flanigan, the other senior who's played a ton, is taking a redshirt so he can play next season. But, yes, they'll be playing rotation guys tons of minutes, way more than they would otherwise have, so it will be a tough year in all likelihood.

They really like their freshman class. Of course, if they have a horrible record, I'm sure there's concern about where those kids' heads will be at by the end of the season. If they can stick it out and the program is off probation next year, this may be a short-term setback. But who knows?

I still think it's a joke that a team with NO violations gets this kind of punishment. It's illogical and ridiculous.

Comment

Originally posted by alumnifan View Post
                                So, the UWP Coaching Staff and Athletic Administration could care less whether their players are eligible or going to class. They started with 16 NCAA violations. How the heck can a Head Wrestling Coach with a wrestler competing for a National Weight Class Title not know the young man could not afford 12 hours and only take 9? The Registrar's office had to know about it.
                                It's not accurate to say the coaching staff "could care less." Again, that's the exact opposite of what went down here. Take stock in what you want, but the NCAA investigation turned up just 9 secondary violations.

In the case of the wrestler, I know some off-record details, and yes, that's probably the only violation I know of where -- strictly in my opinion -- it MIGHT have gone beyond mere incompetence by the admin.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X