Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: UW Parkside Leaving GLVC for GLIAC

I am sure of one thing and that is that the G-MAC is not sitting on their hands waiting for things to happen.

Comment

Originally posted by UFSwimDad View Post
      I would think that this has to at least get UINDY thinking about a move.
      See, I don't see where UWP leaving impacts UIndy's mindset in any way. UWP was right in the middle mileage-wise for UIndy when compared to travel from all GLVC schools, so it's not like they lost a close rival (256 miles + Chicago traffic to navigate to get there). UWP doesn't have football, so UIndy doesn't lose a football school. Parkside doesn't sponsor swimming, tennis, or women's golf, and is a bottom-third team in the GLVC all-sports cup.

Now, if Lewis, Bellarmine, or Southern Indiana decided to go, then OK. But if UIndy is impacted to make a move because UWP left the GLVC with a much more manageable number of 14 for scheduling/travel/etc (15 appears to be absolutely awful to try and do based on the schedules we've seen so far), then I would believe that a move was in the move long before UWP decided to pack up and head out.

Comment

Originally posted by TSU_Mike59 View Post
        See, I don't see where UWP leaving impacts UIndy's mindset in any way. UWP was right in the middle mileage-wise for UIndy when compared to travel from all GLVC schools, so it's not like they lost a close rival (256 miles + Chicago traffic to navigate to get there). UWP doesn't have football, so UIndy doesn't lose a football school. Parkside doesn't sponsor swimming, tennis, or women's golf, and is a bottom-third team in the GLVC all-sports cup.

Now, if Lewis, Bellarmine, or Southern Indiana decided to go, then OK. But if UIndy is impacted to make a move because UWP left the GLVC with a much more manageable number of 14 for scheduling/travel/etc (15 appears to be absolutely awful to try and do based on the schedules we've seen so far), then I would believe that a move was in the move long before UWP decided to pack up and head out.
        Doubt it will be at 14 for long. I think you'll see 2 teams come in and then they'll go back to an East/West format. Benedictine would be an East school for sure and SBU would be a West school for sure, so that would push one of the former West schools into the East...likely Quincy or UMSL based purely on geography.

Comment

The Parkside move also brings the GLIAC to 12 (because they're losing Tiffin to the G-MAC). I still find it odd that Ashland remained in the GLIAC yet Hillsdale moved to the G-MAC (unless the Chargers were tired of playing NMU and Tech; Parkside will actually be a "short" trip for NMU/Tech). However, this will leave the GLIAC with 9 football schools.

Comment

Originally posted by DUPanther View Post
            Doubt it will be at 14 for long. I think you'll see 2 teams come in and then they'll go back to an East/West format. Benedictine would be an East school for sure and SBU would be a West school for sure, so that would push one of the former West schools into the East...likely Quincy or UMSL based purely on geography.
            Not necessarily saying this move is what does it but with most of the teams west and the GMAC and the GLIAC on their doorstep I would think they listen at the very least.

Comment

Not necessarily saying this move is what does it but with most of the teams west and the GMAC and the GLIAC on their doorstep I would think they listen at the very least.
              I've posted this elsewhere, but if Indy and/or Bellarmine decided to leave, then I think you'd see the GLVC become primarily a Missouri/Illinois conference. I believe at that point there'd be more than one MIAA school who would want to join.

The GLVC was always set up for this kind of thing. Because of the few DII schools in Illinois/Indiana/Kentucky they had trouble expanding without drastically increasing their geographic footprint, but in doing so they set themselves up for consolidation in the future.

It'll get interesting if both Indy AND Bellarmine decided to go GMAC. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that would put them at 16. At that point it might limit USI's options to staying with the Missouri and Illinois schools.

Comment

With all these changes, I've updated the map to show 2018's conference alignments.

To me, it is a wonder that Ashland is hanging onto the GLIAC.

Comment

That maps makes it all clear

Comment

Originally posted by schnautza View Post
                    With all these changes, I've updated the map to show 2018's conference alignments.

To me, it is a wonder that Ashland is hanging onto the GLIAC.

They want to play in the GLIAC against the larger schools. At this point travel cost appear to have minimal impact on their decision. Being on an island doesn't bother them yet. Prob never will.

Comment

Originally posted by DUPanther View Post
                      I've posted this elsewhere, but if Indy and/or Bellarmine decided to leave, then I think you'd see the GLVC become primarily a Missouri/Illinois conference. I believe at that point there'd be more than one MIAA school who would want to join.

The GLVC was always set up for this kind of thing. Because of the few DII schools in Illinois/Indiana/Kentucky they had trouble expanding without drastically increasing their geographic footprint, but in doing so they set themselves up for consolidation in the future.

It'll get interesting if both Indy AND Bellarmine decided to go GMAC. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that would put them at 16. At that point it might limit USI's options to staying with the Missouri and Illinois schools.
                      Interesting. I have to think that as of right now Bellarmine isn't interested in a move. If they have had any discussions on moving to D1 then I would have to think that is where they would consider first before a move to the GMAC. Also, the GLIAC isn't out of the question for UINDY either. As for USI, I wouldn't think a public school would be a good fit for the GMAC

Comment

They want to play in the GLIAC against the larger schools. At this point travel cost appear to have minimal impact on their decision. Being on an island doesn't bother them yet. Prob never will.
                        Ashland posters have been pretty consistent in their desire to stay GLIAC. I've seen a lot of posts that are essentially summarized as 1) we were GLIAC before the other OH schools, 2) the other OH schools may have been geographically convenient, but they watered down the league and we never considered them rivals, 3) we are kind of glad to have it back to the way it was in the early GLIAC days.

That being said, we all know that message board posters and the school's administrators probably don't look at things exactly the same way. I'm sure school administration has at least considered it, and will probably continue to reconsider it as the landscape changes (and adding NAIA schools and schools in WI are landscape changers). In fact, if I remember correctly, there was even a quote in one of the local papers where they said they would keep monitoring the situation.
                        Last edited by BlueBlood; 09-26-2017, 12:22 PM.

Comment

If Bellarmine changes leauges, I hope its for one with a more southern footprint, much better places to go in the middle of winter.

Comment

Originally posted by Knightmoves View Post
                            If Bellarmine changes leauges, I hope its for one with a more southern footprint, much better places to go in the middle of winter.
                            Like Owensboro and Nashville?

Comment

Kimbo getting a hard on. He's going to be the only program with more than 5 scholarships left and one of only two pubs. Redswins eagle pride be talking what stud he is beating up on old man Harry at Lebanon high every week.

Comment

Originally posted by Knightmoves View Post
                                Lacrosse is in the D-I SoCon, with Furman, Mercer, Jacksonville, High Point, etc. ;)

During the new president's alumni-wide teleconference tonight, request a southern move for athletics.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X