Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• crazznewt
    replied
    Panther Athletics is still standing strong as the latest fundraiser reached a four year high with over 900 contributing!

Basketball updates are scarce, but I do know Lady Panther practice begins October 6th instead of the usual October 15th due to a new NCAA rule relating to a team's first game date.

Also, Rhi Gibbons is the only injury concern so far and is still in a boot as of last Tuesday.

Question: Why doesn't Albany have a basketball team?
    Answer: Because New York would want one too.

Q: What do you call twelve millionaires who are watching the NBA finals?
    A: The New York Knicks.

Leave a comment:

• crazznewt
    replied
    Random stuff:
    *Interesting 60 Minutes interview where Charles Barkley said "what the NCAA is doing to college basketball is a travesty and disgrace": (13:42)

https://youtu.be/YBY-CdpH0CA?si=YzhStNtiYJQuBeg1

*How every mid-major and upper level D2 coach feels when they have to "re-recruit" their best players every season:
    (00:16)
    https://youtu.be/tQI13ZDJvvg?si=jMYbJ9_WCXUZzspI

*Highlight video of incoming Panther freshman Juok Riak:

https://youtu.be/lf5XZNN7dmk?si=Z6TUhdLLxNDr6usw
    He also did these things against good, big, college players this summer in the Strafford Pro-Am.

*The GLVC Women's Basketball teams will play 22 conference games this season while the men's teams will play the traditional 20.

*It looks like Lincoln University will join the GLVC next season.

*The O'Reilly Center has a new beautiful and unique hardwood floor that makes the arena look even better.

Practices start in about a month and a half!

Leave a comment:

• crazznewt
    replied
    High School Basketball in Gulfport, Mississippi will get a huge intensity spike this season as Steve Hesser will be their new head coach. GHS will likely be competitive from the start as Hesser's players don't ever take a play off without paying the price. Good luck to Steve, sounds like a fun place to finish a career.

On the subject of coaches, Alana Findley is the new women's basketball assistant coach at Ottawa University in Kansas. I was told she didn't return for her covid season because of foot problems that plagued her during her playing career. Nevertheless, her team was 119-9 overall during her career. If not for Covid, those victories would likely have been over 130.

Also, the local sports scene was shocked to learn that big time local youth coach Rob Yanders died at 44 years old. Drury has three players on the roster who played for Yanders and one in the works for next season per my web scan.

Leave a comment:

• crazznewt
    replied
    It's my understanding that Paige is a "stash pick" for 2024 and the Wings will bring her back after a stint overseas.

Leave a comment:

• TSU_Mike59
    replied
    Did Paige Robinson ever get a shot in the WNBA?

Leave a comment:

• crazznewt
    replied
    Originally posted by DUPanther View Post

There are probably 100 people in the stands at every Panthers game that would've been better than Bray. Oklahoma City must not be serious at winning any longer - or if they are they'll figure out pretty quickly what they've hired. He's proof that if you manage to land a decent job, you can fail your way into the next one.

He fit right into Tim Cloyd's desired candidate mold, though - someone who was incompetent that he could overpay so that person would be completely beholden to him.
    Their incompetence hurt a lot of good people and gave some sick rivals a reason to celebrate.

I still maintain that the NCAA is a joke and that is putting it mildly.

Leave a comment:

• DUPanther
    replied
    Originally posted by crazznewt View Post
    Scott Puryear should have been named AD intead of Bray. He accomplished a lot for the university from his SID position and was a popular local personality.
    There are probably 100 people in the stands at every Panthers game that would've been better than Bray. Oklahoma City must not be serious at winning any longer - or if they are they'll figure out pretty quickly what they've hired. He's proof that if you manage to land a decent job, you can fail your way into the next one.

He fit right into Tim Cloyd's desired candidate mold, though - someone who was incompetent that he could overpay so that person would be completely beholden to him.

Leave a comment:

• crazznewt
    replied
    Scott Puryear should have been named AD intead of Bray. He accomplished a lot for the university from his SID position and was a popular local personality.

Leave a comment:

• DUPanther
    replied
    The NCAA is a joke. Drury gets penalized for paperwork oversight on otherwise eligible athletes while there is widespread corruption throughout the NCAA with tampering via big money offers to athletes on other teams! (I referenced this fact in a joke in a previous post) Not one Drury athlete or coach had anything to do with that unintentional violation. The biggest hit was on the swim and dive team forfeiting a national runner up trophy.

The assistant coach from Maryville WBB liked a twitter post from Drury concerning the ruling from the NCAA. I guess he likes the fact that innocent athletes had their legacies tarnished?
    Our previous AD (Corey Bray) and the President who hired him (Tim Cloyd) were the joke. Both were shown the door, or quit before they were shown the door, thank goodness.

Bray's one area of expertise was supposed to be compliance, then his department failed to file the necessary paperwork with the NCAA for several athletes? Complete incompetence.

Leave a comment:

• crazznewt
    replied
    If you look at my previous post you'll see where I put the blame and it has nothing to do with "what-aboutism". This is more about my frustration with an organization that supposedly cares about the rules of fair play by JUSTIFIABLY holding the little guy accountable, but lets big money interests have their way. All one has to do is ask why men are allowed to play women's sports to know they don't care about "fair". What is "rampaging" through this society is a lack of accountability to the source of RIGHT, of which I will NEVER "move on" from.

If you look at my post from the previous page, you will see I made reference to this long before these sanctions were announced. I choose not to open another can of worms by revealing why I chose to spew my frustration at this time.

Leave a comment:

• TSU_Mike59
    replied
    The NCAA is a joke. Drury gets penalized for paperwork oversight on otherwise eligible athletes while there is widespread corruption throughout the NCAA with tampering via big money offers to athletes on other teams! (I referenced this fact in a joke in a previous post) Not one Drury athlete or coach had anything to do with that unintentional violation. The biggest hit was on the swim and dive team forfeiting a national runner up trophy.
    The what-aboutism that is rampaging through our society is exhausting. Drury didn’t follow the rules. There are consequences. It’s pretty cut and dry. The good news is that those consequences are not impacting current student athletes via postseason bans, which is how it should be in a case such as this. Take your medicine and move on.

Leave a comment:

• crazznewt
    replied

The assistant coach from Maryville WBB liked a twitter post from Drury concerning the ruling from the NCAA. I guess he likes the fact that innocent athletes had their legacies tarnished?

Leave a comment:

• crazznewt
    replied
    Drury Athletics have been sanctioned. The best account of the situation I could find is contained in the link below.

https://www.news-leader.com/story/sp...n/70572094007/

Looks like the University is still paying for mistakes made by the previous athletic director.

Thankfully there are no post season or scholarship sanctions.

Leave a comment:

• crazznewt
    replied
    The GLVC is going to a pay per view format for all their sports streaming. Viewers will pay $10 dollars per game, purchase a football/basketball package for $75 or an all sports package for a hundred. Apparently there will be an additional fee for all championship games.

Also, Diamond High star Grace Frazier will play basketball for Missouri Southern in 2024-2025

Leave a comment:

• crazznewt
    replied
    Stumbled on a couple of things while surfing the tangled web:

*Former Panther Dalton Gayman will play for Purdue Northwest this coming season. This will be the fourth school he has attended.

*His former Drury teammate Myles Samuels will play for
    Saint Martin in the Pacific Northwest.

Good luck to these guys.

*I've stumbled upon a lot of reliable eye opening information while searching. "While they slept" comes to mind.

How many NCAA basketball players does it take to change a light bulb?

Only one. But he gets money, a car, and three credit hours for it.

Leave a comment:

Ad3

Collapse
Working...
X