Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• crazznewt
    replied
    A couple really quick comments while I'm waiting here.
    There is talent in the conference (women's side). I think it's obvious, but I don't want to comment on what I think the reason is for the inconsistency of some of these teams.

A couple examples:

*Maryville had a ton of experience, including several current and former all league players on their roster and they were deep. This same group beat D1 ST Louis University last season on the road by 8.

*Illinois Springfield beat Bradley and Indiana State in the last couple of seasons and also was a deep talented team this season.

*Mckendree returned their entire roster and had three players make all GLVC. They had some big wins, including one at Lewis, but lost in the GLVC opening round against Upper Iowa.

*Lewis returned a ton of talent and experience as they had several who have been with the program 4 plus years. BTW, Drury was within 3 points of the flyers inside of 2 minutes left in the GLVC championship game. This being Drury's third straight game day didn't help their odds of winning this one.

*Drury only had four national level players (all starters) on this season's team IMO. That made the Lady Panthers a heck of a lot easier to scout than in season's past when they had much deeper teams. When Schaaf gets help inside, she will dominate even more.

It was a fantastic job of coaching and spectacular play from a few that made this season a success. There is a lot of talent returning and more coming for Drury.

Drury's Sara Mendel, and Kaylee King are future stars in this league. Prediction: If Schaaf and Daniels continue to improve, they will be named All Americans next season.

*The GLVCSN and the fast forward button made it possible for me to watch a few teams play during the cold snap this season. Without mentioning teams, there are certain coaches (none of the above) who made multiple bizarre in game (and recruiting) decisions. I bet there are a couple schools regretting their hiring choices.
    Last edited by crazznewt; 03-19-2024, 09:21 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Bballfan
    replied
    True! Lewis underachieved this season for what they had back. Yes, they won the league, but to not even play in the regional semis?

When is the last time no GLVC women's team advanced to the semis at least? I can't think of a time off my head.

Leave a comment:

• crazznewt
    replied
    You know as well as I do that the MVP doesn't always go to the "best" player. Downplaying what Schaaf accomplished this season isn't fair either. Her numbers alone put her in contention for the award. D

What I consider blatant disregard for the facts is the choice for GLVC COY.

Leave a comment:

• Bballfan
    replied
    If you think Schaaf is the best player in the region, you need to watch more GLIAC and GMAC basketball. Northern, Grand Valley, Trevecca all have players better than her. She couldn't even handle Ashland's player that by all accounts is second best on their team.

Playing weak competition and stacking up numbers don't make you the best player in the region. Many more deserving players than her this year

Leave a comment:

• crazznewt
    replied
    We knew going into this season that depth would be a big issue. It's safe to say that this was one of the weakest Lady Panther rosters top to bottom they have ever had... at no fault of this coaching staff.

Because of this fact, Matas Martin, Daniels and Schaaf had to play great almost every single game. Their overall shooting numbers were spectacular considering the very athletic shots these three had to make on a very consistent basis.

I strongly disagree about Schaaf. Until Mendel began to contribute late in the season, Schaaf had to do it all inside. That tends to clog things up a lot when they can sag off your teammate consistently. That lady routinely had to beat double teams inside.. offensively and on the boards. Considering this fact, her numbers were spectacular this season.

Shout out to Anna Hitt, who played excellent defense again this season and was incredible in the open court.

Sara Mendel is going to be a great one, the future of this program is bright.

Leave a comment:

• Bballfan
    replied
    I think Drury overachieved this season and that's great. They are young and will be better next season. But today showed how bad the GLVC as a whole is right now. Neither Lewis or Drury could compete today.

On another note, Reese Schaaf as Midwest Region Player of the Year was a complete joke. Drury has had some great players in the past, but at this stage of her career she isn't even in the same league as some of Drury's greats. Can't grade on a curve.

Leave a comment:

• crazznewt
    replied
    Congrats to the Ashland Eagles for showing what it looks like to be the best program in the country. Congrats to Kaci Bailey for getting the Lady Panthers back to the tournament in what most thought would be a rebuilding season. Go Panthers.

Leave a comment:

• Bballfan
    replied
    Originally posted by crazznewt View Post
    There are other good teams in the GLVC that are just inconsistent. Drury's wins against 8 seed Trevecca (away), and 5 seed Kentucky Wesleyan (neutral) helped the cause. What a tough draw in Ashland, a rival that is likely the best team in the country again.
    I knew going into the championship game, winner was going to be 6th seed, and loser was going to be 7th seed. I do think Drury would have got in as an 8th seed even if they had lost in the semis. They had the tie-breaker over Trevecca. Coaches don't want to hear it because you will get the "its early in the season" speech but wins in November and December are critical come March. Last year it was the difference between Drury hosting and going on the road. Things could have been different if they hosted.

Leave a comment:

• crazznewt
    replied
    There are other good teams in the GLVC that are just inconsistent. Drury's wins against 8 seed Trevecca (away), and 5 seed Kentucky Wesleyan (neutral) helped the cause. What a tough draw in Ashland, a rival that is likely the best team in the country again.

Leave a comment:

• Bballfan
    replied
    Originally posted by crazznewt View Post

Concerning that third paragraph, who honestly would have thought Drury would be in the national tournament and Central wouldn't?
    I expected Drury to make the tournament. The GLVC just isn't that strong in Women's Basketball, especially this year. You have Lewis, Drury, and everyone else. Now Lewis and Drury can play with anyone, but after that it gets ugly.

Central Missouri missing the tournament is one of the biggest mysteries of the year. They certainly didn't deserve to get in, but given everything they had returning, I expected them to dominate and be a #1 seed. At one point they were #3 in the nation. Wild how everything just collapsed for them.

Leave a comment:

• crazznewt
    replied
    Originally posted by TSU_Mike59 View Post

The DU 23-24 online roster doesn’t include incoming freshmen or transfers but lists just six returning players, the best of whom averaged less than eight points per game last year and none of the other five averaged more than 4 ppg.

The Panthers bringing back not a single start from last year combined with a coach who has limited experience is going to be really interesting.

UCM meanwhile brings back four starters from a team that went 25-5 last year and definitely has a good shot at both MIAA and regional title aspirations. Plus, Dave Slifer is a heck of a coach who has stayed there a long time.

So to answer your question . . . yes to both?
    The first two paragraphs alone from TSU Mike's post back on 5/1/23 make a strong case that Drury's Kaci Bailey could have been named GLVC Coach of the Year instead of Mckendree coach Kari Kerkhoff who returned her entire roster. For good measure, Drury had a better record, won the head to head, and led the league in several statistical categories.

Caitlynn Daniels and Beth Matas Martin get the unofficial Ironwoman award for rarely coming off the court this season because of injuries to teammates.

Concerning that third paragraph, who honestly would have thought Drury would be in the national tournament and Central wouldn't?

Congratulations to Kaci Bailey and staff for overcoming much adversity and breaking that 25 win mark.

Congratulations to Lewis Women on the championship. Hilber is a great one.

Leave a comment:

• tuffeagle
    replied
    Drury women had been playing well of late. But they are safely in the regional tournament most likely at a 4 seed. A 3 seed might have been attainable, but I don't know now. Lewis very well could sneak in the regional, but McKendree would need to win the GLVC to get in. Definitely a down year overall for the league in women's basketball.

Leave a comment:

• crazznewt
    replied
    Originally posted by TSU_Mike59 View Post
    Schaaf should be POY. Been fantastic this year as one of the few holdovers from last year’s team.

Also, the official NCAA regional rankings come out this week for the first time. They might be similar but they also use numbers the SIDs/coaches don’t have who vote. Anything else is all for fluff and no substance, like the coaches’ polls.
    Oops. Upon closer look, that information was from the D2CSC Women's Basketball Division II Media Polls.

Leave a comment:

• TSU_Mike59
    replied
    Schaaf should be POY. Been fantastic this year as one of the few holdovers from last year’s team.

Also, the official NCAA regional rankings come out this week for the first time. They might be similar but they also use numbers the SIDs/coaches don’t have who vote. Anything else is all for fluff and no substance, like the coaches’ polls.

Leave a comment:

• crazznewt
    replied
    The Lady Panthers beat Mckendree 87 to 75 for their 12th win in a row. This game featured 22 lead changes and 12 ties. This was a big game in the Midwest Region as Drury was ranked 5th and Mckendree was tied for 10th in the latest poll. BTW, there are some surprises in these regional polls, including the absence of Central Missouri's Lady Jennies from the top 10 in the Central Region.

Quickies:

*Mckendree, a very talented and well coached team, was 12-0 on the road, including a win at Lewis. This was the second big opponent streak ending with a loss to Drury (Rockhurst 10-0 home record)

*This makes win number 20 for a team that leads the conference in scoring, field goal percentage, three point percentage, scoring margin, defensive rebounds and assists.

*Considering the injuries, new surroundings, lack of experienced collegiate starters, and only three returners with significant playing time, this coaching staff has done an incredible job!

Reese Schaaf in unwatered down conference only stats;

*Number 1 in scoring
    *Number 1 in field goal percentage
    *Virtually tied for rebounding lead
    She can post and finish impressively with either hand, makes the midrange and the three, making that field goal percentage even more impressive.

Leave a comment:

Ad3

Collapse
Working...
X