Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• panthersclawz1
    replied
    The Lady Panthers continue to impress with their victory over Illinois Springfield. Their lack of depth is a major concern as they have practically no bench. But Schaaf, Matas Martin and Daniels is a solid three-headed monster for now. Bailey has drawn up some very nice plays, especially out of timeouts. Credit to those players for stepping up.

Foster’s team has been as unlucky as I’ve seen in years. Almost afforded no opportunity to find any rhythm. They’ll be without Riak and Wakefield for a month. A betting human being would say they not make the tournament again. Rumbles will happen but I’d assume he will return.

Leave a comment:

• crazznewt
    replied
    Originally posted by DUPanther View Post
    Juok Riak broke his ankle 4 minutes into the Truman game. We've played most of the year with 2 starters out and it'll be 3 now until Elijah Whitley gets back from his broken wrist.

Coach Foster is due for some good luck - he hasn't had any since he got here.
    That is so disappointing. So much uncertainty everywhere. Thankful I'm anchored to a Rock.

Leave a comment:

• DUPanther
    replied
    Juok Riak broke his ankle 4 minutes into the Truman game. We've played most of the year with 2 starters out and it'll be 3 now until Elijah Whitley gets back from his broken wrist.

Coach Foster is due for some good luck - he hasn't had any since he got here.

Leave a comment:

• crazznewt
    replied
    Paige Robinson is listed as a starter for the historically strong Herner TC team (this season is the exception) in Germany's top pro league. There is no record of her having played a game yet as she is a recent arrival and stats updates are slow. Hopefully this link works:
    https://basketball.eurobasket.com/te.../10286?Women=1

The following is copied from the "Dallas Wings Salary Cap Sheet":
    "UNSIGNED DRAFTEES Stephanie Soares $74,305
    Paige Robinson $62,285"
    This is further evidence they are serious about bringing her back as a "2024 stash pick".

From her first collegiate game, her tremendous potential was obvious, as she scored 24 points on 6 of 9 from 3, and 9 of 14 from the field...in the first half alone, against Kentucky Wesleyan on a neutral court.

She is now achieving her goal of playing world caliber basketball despite the physical setbacks.

The three Lady Panthers who were locks for post season honors since preseason are carrying the scoring load for Drury. I thought Kaylee King was a lock for GLVC Freshman Of the Year before her injury sidelined her for the season. Coach Bailey needs added dependable role players to step up soon to add to the 2 current strong role players. That staff has done an EXCELLENT job despite the roster taking major hits.

Leave a comment:

• crazznewt
    replied
    The Men are starting to show their improved depth as they won their last game without Juok Riak, who sat with an injury. Logan Applegate should have won GLVC player of the week as he averaged 28 points, made 17 of 31 FG, 8 of 16 from 3, 14 of 17 from the line, and had 9 rebounds in Drury's 2 wins.

It was good to see Quincy Erickson and Hailey Tunnell get a little playing time for the women as they hopefully return to contribute. Tunnell hasn't played all season. Erickson was starting to be a big contributor before her setback. By my count, this makes at least 5 players who would have played that have been out for the season or missed significant time. This doesn't include the others who have missed practice time due to illness or injury.

A handful of players have carried this team, making good teams with deep rosters the challenge for the Lady Panthers...especially on the road. If this team gets to 20 wins for the season, Coach Bailey deserves to win GLVC coach of the year honors.

Leave a comment:

• crazznewt
    replied
    Drury's Logan Applegate was 9 of 13 from the field and 6 of 9 from three. A couple 3's were from 25 feet and he was not open on any of these. He has a combination of a very quick release and deceptively good athletic ability. He is becoming a very good defender also.

Juok Riak barely kept his dunk streak going as he put one down on Drury's last possession. He beat the defense on the baseline, passed under the basket, did a quick 180 and finished. He is one of the rare ones who can dunk when no one is expecting it. He finished with 16 points and 7 rebounds.

On the subject of stats, UIndy Women's Coach Mitchell picked up his team's 15th technical foul since he became their coach last season. In the first quarter, the Rockhurst play by play guy mentioned that the whole arena heard an official tell Mitchell that the officiating crew was not going to put up with his antics. It took until halfway through the 3rd quarter until they T'd him up.

Reese Shaaf had 19 points and 17 rebounds as the Lady Panthers held off Maryville. The Drury starters played 181 minutes of the 200 possible. The guards never left the floor and Shaaf played 39 minutes.

Leave a comment:

• crazznewt
    replied
    Originally posted by TSU_Mike59 View Post

Agreed. Truman went above and beyond this fall still promoting Cody Schrader during his incredible two-year stint at Mizzou football after being a dominating GLVC RB in Kirksville.
    Thanks Mike. Everyone needs to know where athletes like Broderick Thomas, Hannah Belanger, Cody Schrader and Paige Robinson developed their skills as they play on the national stage. They helped their respective schools achieve and maintain recognition and deserve to be acknowledged as they have continued success. How could giving them a mention occasionally not be good for the school?

Leave a comment:

• TSU_Mike59
    replied
    Originally posted by crazznewt View Post
    Seems like Drury would post news about this on their athletics website like Illinois State did.
    Agreed. Truman went above and beyond this fall still promoting Cody Schrader during his incredible two-year stint at Mizzou football after being a dominating GLVC RB in Kirksville.

Leave a comment:

• crazznewt
    replied
    Paige Robinson has signed a pro contract with Herner TC in the German Premire League. After she was drafted by the WNBA's Dallas Wings, it was announced she would be a "stash pick" for 2024 after a stint playing overseas. Seems like Drury would post news about this on their athletics website like Illinois State did.

For four seasons, she helped this program stay on top of the national level and earned an NCAA D2 National Player of The Year honor. She returned after missing half of her senior season with injury and played like the All American she was, despite the brace on her shooting wrist.

Her banner will eventually be on the north wall at O'Reilly and I bet this young lady will be playing on national television in the near future.
    She accomplished a lot for this program.

Leave a comment:

• crazznewt
    replied
    It's surprising the University of Indianapolis and the GLVC is still allowing Marc Mitchell's team to show poor sportsmanship. Indy's loss to Maryville today was largely due to yet another technical, this one in overtime. Two late technicals at Rockhurst last season contributed greatly to that loss for Indy. Also, it looked like another cheap shot (not called), this one toward Gracie Stugart after her go ahead three in overtime in today's game. This by the same player who elbowed Kaylee Holt in the face in the league tournament last season. Disgraceful.

Riek Reik looked good for Drury in their win against Rockhurst. His footwork and finishes at the rim were big time. Juok Riak was In foul trouble the whole game, but Drury didn't need him. He added a couple more dunks to his season total though.

Sara Mendel might be a starter by season's end for the women.
    Big performances by a few fueled the blowout win against Rock U.

Leave a comment:

• crazznewt
    replied
    Injuries have seriously hurt the Lady Panther's depth. Coaches often load their rosters with extra guards for a reason. The loss of high scoring guard Kaylee King before the season started hurt bad, as did the ruling that highly recruited guard Jazz Gray had to sit after initially signing with Washburn. Compound that with the loss of backup guard Rhi Gibbons, who was playing and contributing, the end result is 2 to 4 players who will be among the league leaders in minutes played at season's end.
    Finishing games with this thin roster will be a bear. Hopefully no one else gets injured from over work.

Freshman Juok Riak's scoring average would be higher if not for the one game where he played single digit minutes. He has proven he can't be stopped one on one, as he is still getting to the spots he wants at a high rate, shooting 68% from the field at almost 16 ppg. He is probably averaging at least three dunks per game as further proof he is getting to the rim. He is not a stationary player as he can also shoot and drive. I pray he stays 4 years.

Hopefully these programs finish the season strong.

Leave a comment:

• panthersclawz1
    replied
    We all want the best for drury. I hope the men can coalesce into a top 4-5 team. Riak is the best pure talent they’ve recruited since Garrison, and his ceiling is way higher if he stays.

I’m confident the women will be top two this season. Let’s hope she can recruit a similar standout talent. Postseason is anybody's guess for both sides. [QUOTE=crazznewt;

I commented on the entirety of your post history, it's relevant to point out a double standard.
    Your mild suggestion post for the men (until this last one) is quite the contrast to the negative stuff you've posted about Bailey since day one. I'm not the only fan who has wondered who made you mad. Don't bite the hand that feeds you![/QUOTE]

Leave a comment:

• crazznewt
    replied
    Originally posted by panthersclawz1 View Post
    I commented on the women’s game. The women played today. The men didn’t. It’s not difficult math.

I commented on what I believe the men needed to improve on In literally the last comment I posted before the one I posted today. A post you to which you replied. Calm down, pal.

Foster needs to get this team to the mid to upper tier of the conference or I’d imagine he’s out. He’s been far better elsewhere than he has here.

Bailey’s story is off to a rocky start. I don’t see it improving in the sense that she continues a strong tradition of winning established by previous coaches. Hope I’m wrong. We’ll see.
    I commented on the entirety of your post history, it's relevant to point out a double standard.
    Your mild suggestion post for the men (until this last one) is quite the contrast to the negative stuff you've posted about Bailey since day one. I'm not the only fan who has wondered who made you mad. Don't bite the hand that feeds you!

Leave a comment:

• panthersclawz1
    replied
    I commented on the women’s game. The women played today. The men didn’t. It’s not difficult math.

I commented on what I believe the men needed to improve on In literally the last comment I posted before the one I posted today. A post you to which you replied. Calm down, pal.

Foster needs to get this team to the mid to upper tier of the conference or I’d imagine he’s out. He’s been far better elsewhere than he has here.

Bailey’s story is off to a rocky start. I don’t see it improving in the sense that she continues a strong tradition of winning established by previous coaches. Hope I’m wrong. We’ll see.

Originally posted by crazznewt View Post

Interesting comment in a series of comments from someone who seems to have inside knowledge of the program. A brand new coach having to complete a new staff and build a roster with limited recruiting contacts in this area doesn't get the same consideration as the men's coach who is much more established here.

Didn't you comment back in the summer that the women couldn't afford any injuries? How much practice time have Bailey's key players lost due to injuries or illness on this already thin team? And she is expected to have everyone on the same page? I maintain the previous women's coach is more responsible for the state of this program than Bailey is!

19 losses by the men's team last season, 13 by double figures, 3 by 20 or more. Need I go on? You have not said one negative thing about this. I still support the men by buying tickets, merchandise and concessions and I understand the circumstances leading to those down seasons and am more patient than the hundreds who would leave after every women's game last season.

What " boggles" my mind is the bias shown in your comments. Not once have you questioned anything to do with the men's program. I like both programs, but one has provided the most fan excitement lately. To say otherwise is denying the facts.
    I pose the question to you: why question one program and not the other? Please explain.

Leave a comment:

• crazznewt
    replied
    Originally posted by panthersclawz1 View Post
    Embarrassing showing today by both players and coaches. Tough to win when only one player shows up and no defensive adjustments are made.

About seven to 10 losses feels about right for this team.
    Interesting comment in a series of comments from someone who seems to have inside knowledge of the program. A brand new coach having to complete a new staff and build a roster with limited recruiting contacts in this area doesn't get the same consideration as the men's coach who is much more established here.

Didn't you comment back in the summer that the women couldn't afford any injuries? How much practice time have Bailey's key players lost due to injuries or illness on this already thin team? And she is expected to have everyone on the same page? I maintain the previous women's coach is more responsible for the state of this program than Bailey is!

19 losses by the men's team last season, 13 by double figures, 3 by 20 or more. Need I go on? You have not said one negative thing about this. I still support the men by buying tickets, merchandise and concessions and I understand the circumstances leading to those down seasons and am more patient than the hundreds who would leave after every women's game last season.

What " boggles" my mind is the bias shown in your comments. Not once have you questioned anything to do with the men's program. I like both programs, but one has provided the most fan excitement lately. To say otherwise is denying the facts.
    I pose the question to you: why question one program and not the other? Please explain.

Leave a comment:

Ad3

Collapse
Working...
X