X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ashland to the G-MAC

Just announced:

https://goashlandeagles.com/general/...20200518e5pdhh

This starts during the 2021-22 school year.
    Big move

Comment

GLIAC on life support. That will take them below 8 teams for a some of their sports, which I believe is the minimum to have an automatic bid for NCAA championships, correct? Football will be at 8, Men's soccer will drop to 7, Baseball will drop to 7, Women's lacrosse will now be 5, Men's tennis will be at 8.
      2021 D2Football Fantasy Champion

Comment

Welcome Ashland Eagles!

Comment

Originally posted by KleShreen View Post
          GLIAC on life support. That will take them below 8 teams for a some of their sports, which I believe is the minimum to have an automatic bid for NCAA championships, correct? Football will be at 8, Men's soccer will drop to 7, Baseball will drop to 7, Women's lacrosse will now be 5, Men's tennis will be at 8.
          The D2 minimum is 6.

Comment

Originally posted by Tech Boys View Post

The D2 minimum is 6.
            Is it? Women's lacrosse has 6 but the winner does not get an automatic bid to the national tournament. Maybe women's lacrosse is different, though.
            2021 D2Football Fantasy Champion

Comment

Nice! Welcome to the G-MAC!

Comment

Originally posted by KleShreen View Post
                Is it? Women's lacrosse has 6 but the winner does not get an automatic bid to the national tournament. Maybe women's lacrosse is different, though.
                Yes, women's lacrosse is one of the sports that doesn't have AQs. Last year, all four teams in the Atlantic Regional were from the PSAC. The women's lacrosse Atlantic Region is the CACC and the PSAC. I'll keep searching to confirm this.

Comment

I remember when the GMAC first formed some people (mostly fans of Mountain East Conference teams) said that the GMAC wouldn't survive. Congratulations to the GMAC on adding Ashland.

Comment

Originally posted by crixus View Post
                    I remember when the GMAC first formed some people (mostly fans of Mountain East Conference teams) said that the GMAC wouldn't survive. Congratulations to the GMAC on adding Ashland.
                    Hmmm. I do seem to recall that.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by BlueBlood View Post

Hmmm. I do seem to recall that.
                        Of the two conferences I think the GMAC is doing better overall. Commissioner Daeger and his staff have done a very good job.
                        Last edited by crixus; 05-19-2020, 07:14 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by crixus View Post

Of the two conferences I think the GMAC is doing better overall. Commissioner Daeger and his staff have done a very good job.
                          In terms of expansion since the inception of the G-MAC and the MEC, the G-MAC has killed it in this category. It is not even debatable. The G-MAC around 2014 and 2015 looked bleak. As I recall, Cumberland and Georgetown were denied D-2 membership which was thought to be a huge blow. It would be interesting to see how the conference would have expanded from there if Cumberland and Georgetown were admitted. Also around that time, Central State left the conference for the SIAC. That really has turned out to be a blessing of sorts. They offered football, men's and women's basketball but the only other scheduling sport they now offer is volleyball. Salem and the conference mutually parted ways a year later. Not a huge loss in terms of athletics but it was a bit of a travel blow to the WV schools.

The conference lost the following schools since its initial beginnings:

Urbana (no longer in existence; which is sad but it is what it is)
                          Salem International (went the Independent route)
                          UVA-Wise (a conference jumper over the past decade)
                          Central State (other than football and basketball does not offer much in terms of scheduling for sports)
                          Notre Dame (a good athletic program)
                          Davis & Elkins (a decent league member but did not offer football; it did hurt travel of AB much like Salem leaving)

The conference added the following schools:

Malone (which did drop football)
                          Walsh
                          Lake Erie
                          Findlay
                          Ohio Dominican
                          Hillsdale
                          Ashland
                          Tiffin

Cedarville, Kentucky Wesleyan, Trevecca Nazarene, Alderson Broaddus, Ohio Valley, Ursuline were there from the first two years if you will. Those schools felt the ups and downs of the first four years of the conference, although personally I enjoyed the conference play at those times.

The MEC lost Shepherd which was a big blow. They lost UVA-Wise which was starting to show signs of competing. They lost Urbana to school closure. Frostburg State, I do believe, is a great addition over time. But overall, there is no comparison. The G-MAC formed from scratch. The MEC took 9 former WVIAC schools and took 3 schools from the initial G-MAC. Yes, the MEC has had success stories, no doubt. But the G-MAC, for long term vision, now looks far better. The conference has gone from what was at one point only 2 football schools to 9 football schools.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by JDonAB92 View Post

In terms of expansion since the inception of the G-MAC and the MEC, the G-MAC has killed it in this category. It is not even debatable. The G-MAC around 2014 and 2015 looked bleak. As I recall, Cumberland and Georgetown were denied D-2 membership which was thought to be a huge blow. It would be interesting to see how the conference would have expanded from there if Cumberland and Georgetown were admitted. Also around that time, Central State left the conference for the SIAC. That really has turned out to be a blessing of sorts. They offered football, men's and women's basketball but the only other scheduling sport they now offer is volleyball. Salem and the conference mutually parted ways a year later. Not a huge loss in terms of athletics but it was a bit of a travel blow to the WV schools.

The conference lost the following schools since its initial beginnings:

Urbana (no longer in existence; which is sad but it is what it is)
                              Salem International (went the Independent route)
                              UVA-Wise (a conference jumper over the past decade)
                              Central State (other than football and basketball does not offer much in terms of scheduling for sports)
                              Notre Dame (a good athletic program)
                              Davis & Elkins (a decent league member but did not offer football; it did hurt travel of AB much like Salem leaving)

The conference added the following schools:

Malone (which did drop football)
                              Walsh
                              Lake Erie
                              Findlay
                              Ohio Dominican
                              Hillsdale
                              Ashland
                              Tiffin

Cedarville, Kentucky Wesleyan, Trevecca Nazarene, Alderson Broaddus, Ohio Valley, Ursuline were there from the first two years if you will. Those schools felt the ups and downs of the first four years of the conference, although personally I enjoyed the conference play at those times.

The MEC lost Shepherd which was a big blow. They lost UVA-Wise which was starting to show signs of competing. They lost Urbana to school closure. Frostburg State, I do believe, is a great addition over time. But overall, there is no comparison. The G-MAC formed from scratch. The MEC took 9 former WVIAC schools and took 3 schools from the initial G-MAC. Yes, the MEC has had success stories, no doubt. But the G-MAC, for long term vision, now looks far better. The conference has gone from what was at one point only 2 football schools to 9 football schools.
                              I sent Comissioner Daeger an email yesterday congratulating him & the staff on the fine job they're doing. I've been impressed with their work and l really like GMAC.
                              Last edited by crixus; 05-20-2020, 07:28 PM.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X