Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Saint Joseph's College Closing

Originally posted by schnautza View Post
    It's also worth noting that there are no seniors on this year's squad. I think USI /BU/UIndy really have an opportunity to reach out to a few of these guys.
    I think Scotty would only be interested in someone who is a very good student and citizen. I thought Williams looked very good against BU. Hardaway looked talented but not sure he would be a fit for coachability.

Comment

Typically, in a situation like this, the NCAA will allow transfers without restrictions - including transfers to an intra-conference rival - when a school is closed as is the case here. The GLVC league office will likely also be used as a resource for student-athletes who are left in limbo. The only question would be who would have possession of a student's transcripts; I don't know that part of Indiana at all, but I'd suspect that there are procedures in place to ensure that academic records are retained.

This exact scenario played out when Dowling College - a private school on New York's Long Island and a member of D2's East Coast Conference - closed their doors at the end of the last academic year. As I recall, affected student-athletes from Dowling were directed to the ECC's offices with respect to academic transcripts and eligibility.
      Cal U (Pa.) Class of 2014

Comment

Originally posted by kwcpantherfan View Post
        I don't think the NCAA would restrict them - I don't think they would dictate what conference a player can or can't transfer to in any event - I just wonder if the GLVC would enforce their transfer rule where if you transfer in-conference you have to sit out a year.
        As noted in my other comment on this post, I don't see that being the case, considering the school the student is transferring from will no longer exist.

It's the same scenario that's played out when a specific sports program is discontinued (ie. Nebraska-Omaha, Alabama-Birmingham or Boston University football, for example), only we're talking about an entire athletic program - and university - in this case.

Comment

http://herosports.com/news/d2-sports...ollege-closing

This writer speculates that UIndy may be better off moving to the G-MAC. I honestly hadn't even thought of that as an implication of St Joe closing. Any thoughts on that?

Comment

This writer speculates that UIndy may be better off moving to the G-MAC. I honestly hadn't even thought of that as an implication of St Joe closing. Any thoughts on that?
            A) Is HoundDog Zach Prosba? HoundDog said he thought this was a possibility earlier today. Had never heard it before, now twice in one day.
            B) Is the G-MAC footprint really any tighter for UIndy? They look pretty similar to me. Map: https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...7/7d/Cbdii.PNG
            Last edited by BlueBlood; 02-08-2017, 06:15 PM.

Comment

I'm all for UIndy joining the G-MAC. Get Bellarmine in, and get TNU and Bellarmine to start football. There are many D2 programs with D1 caliber facilities. Bellarmine could make some money, and save money on travel costs in the G-MAC.

There is alot of potential in the G-MAC.

Comment

Originally posted by BlueBlood View Post
                A) Is HoundDog Zach Prosba? HoundDog said he thought this was a possibility earlier today. Had never heard it before, now twice in one day.
                B) Is the G-MAC footprint really any tighter for UIndy? They look pretty similar to me. Map: https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...7/7d/Cbdii.PNG
                I can't answer B, but I don't think Zach is HoundDog as I went to Cal U with him.

Comment

Originally posted by alumnifan View Post
                  I'm all for UIndy joining the G-MAC. Get Bellarmine in, and get TNU and Bellarmine to start football. There are many D2 programs with D1 caliber facilities. Bellarmine could make some money, and save money on travel costs in the G-MAC.

There is alot of potential in the G-MAC.
                  Has TNU even considered adding football? I haven't heard anything about that.

As for Bellarmine, this is the last update we've heard on their potential plans to add football (from June 2016):

http://www.bizjournals.com/louisvill...llarmines.html

Also, as I recall, there were also rumors about Lewis considering adding football, but I don't think that came to fruition.

Comment

Indy won't have USI short travel rival in a couple years either when they go OVC.

Comment

I would love for Bellarmine to add football...the USI big wigs have no idea how big of an impact football would have on the university, alumni, and community. Football is expensive, I get that...but you can't tell me there isn't a local donor that would fork over a million or two to help start the program. Play at the Reitz bowl whenever Reitz or MD aren't using it, offer bare minimum required scholarships...fill those with skill position players and fill your lines with local and regional players who would basically for free or in addition to their academic money.

Then again that makes too much sense for LMNOP Bennett and her posse.

Originally posted by ctrabs74 View Post
                      Has TNU even considered adding football? I haven't heard anything about that.

As for Bellarmine, this is the last update we've heard on their potential plans to add football (from June 2016):

http://www.bizjournals.com/louisvill...llarmines.html

Also, as I recall, there were also rumors about Lewis considering adding football, but I don't think that came to fruition.

Comment

Originally posted by WestSideMafia View Post
                        I would love for Bellarmine to add football...the USI big wigs have no idea how big of an impact football would have on the university, alumni, and community. Football is expensive, I get that...but you can't tell me there isn't a local donor that would fork over a million or two to help start the program. Play at the Reitz bowl whenever Reitz or MD aren't using it, offer bare minimum required scholarships...fill those with skill position players and fill your lines with local and regional players who would basically for free or in addition to their academic money.

Then again that makes too much sense for LMNOP Bennett and her posse.
                        I'd do it completely differently. I'd spend all the money on linemen and a couple quarterbacks.

Comment

The TNU AD has stated that the department has drawings for a football facility. I heard him say it. Whether they build it depends on TNU.

Comment

Originally posted by alumnifan View Post
                            The TNU AD has stated that the department has drawings for a football facility. I heard him say it. Whether they build it depends on TNU.
                            They've got several basketball players that could join the team if they do - they already know how to tackle.

Comment

clipping is not tackling

Comment

Nah, there is enough quality linemen around here that would need very little, if any scholarship money to play line close to home. Not to mention if we were to use the Reitz Bowl there could be tailgating.

Originally posted by Brandon View Post
                                I'd do it completely differently. I'd spend all the money on linemen and a couple quarterbacks.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X