Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Saint Joseph's College Closing

Originally posted by WestSideMafia View Post
    Nah, there is enough quality linemen around here that would need very little, if any scholarship money to play line close to home. Not to mention if we were to use the Reitz Bowl there could be tailgating.
    Biggest problem with the bowl would be finding free nights. It's pretty busy there with both MD and Reitz using it as home field for their varsity and JV teams.

Comment

Nah, there is enough quality linemen around here that would need very little, if any scholarship money to play line close to home. Not to mention if we were to use the Reitz Bowl there could be tailgating.
      Trust me, that's a recipe for failure.

Is it easier for you to find 6-4 285 kids that can move or find a bunch of 6-0 185 kids that can catch a ball or 5-10 200 kids to run it?

Comment

Originally posted by Brandon View Post
        Trust me, that's a recipe for failure.

Is it easier for you to find 6-4 285 kids that can move or find a bunch of 6-0 185 kids that can catch a ball or 5-10 200 kids to run it?
        I guess what Mafia is saying is that he thinks it would be very easy to recruit students from Reitz and Mater Dei high schools, two powerhouse rival football high schools just minutes from USI - knowing that USI is the most affordable 4-yr university in the region is a factor in getting these kids to play. It wouldn't take a whole lot of scholarship to convince them.

Comment

Originally posted by schnautza View Post
          I guess what Mafia is saying is that he thinks it would be very easy to recruit students from Reitz and Mater Dei high schools, two powerhouse rival football high schools just minutes from USI - knowing that USI is the most affordable 4-yr university in the region is a factor in getting these kids to play. It wouldn't take a whole lot of scholarship to convince them.
          Where are those kids going now?

Comment

Can't say for sure. I don't really follow football at all. But I did know a few who stopped playing after high school and went to USI.

Comment

A lot are going to DII, DIII, or NAIA programs or just not playing at all because DIII has no athletic scholarships. As far as the bowl, usually one will play Friday night, the other Saturday afternoon, or Saturday night, we would just fill in whatever is available. Due to the fact they have the multi-purpose field turf we could play whenever it's available. I think a lot of SW Indiana kids would stay home to play for USI. You have some great programs like Reitz, MD, Castle, Heritage Hills, Jasper, etc. that have players that would love to continue playing. It could easily be done and, as I said before, there is a donor or donors out there that would foot a huge chunk of the initial start up cost just to have a local college football team to support.

Comment

A lot are going to DII, DIII, or NAIA programs or just not playing at all because DIII has no athletic scholarships. As far as the bowl, usually one will play Friday night, the other Saturday afternoon, or Saturday night, we would just fill in whatever is available. Due to the fact they have the multi-purpose field turf we could play whenever it's available. I think a lot of SW Indiana kids would stay home to play for USI. You have some great programs like Reitz, MD, Castle, Heritage Hills, Jasper, etc. that have players that would love to continue playing. It could easily be done and, as I said before, there is a donor or donors out there that would foot a huge chunk of the initial start up cost just to have a local college football team to support.
                The more the merrier. I hope they do it.

Comment

I feel like it is too late to add another team to the GLVC. Just trying to speculate on how they will handle. Three five team pods?

1. Rockhurst, William Jewel, Drury, Missouri ST, Maryville
                  2. UWP, Lewis, Truman, Quincy, UIS
                  3. UIndy, USI, BU, McKendree, UMSL

??

Comment

Originally posted by Horsepower View Post
                    I feel like it is too late to add another team to the GLVC. Just trying to speculate on how they will handle. Three five team pods?

??
                    Should just get rid of joke programs mckendree and maryville. Play everyone home and away 3-4 non con and be done with it.
                    Probably going to be two schools. Poshard is talking to jimnaum for Morthland. Also IU- Kokomo

Comment

??
                      I've heard they will do three 5 team pods next year. Not sure who will be in what pod.

I suspect they'll add after next year. I'm hearing Lindenwood would like to move from the MIAA.

Comment

Originally posted by DUPanther View Post
                        I've heard they will do three 5 team pods next year. Not sure who will be in what pod.

I suspect they'll add after next year. I'm hearing Lindenwood would like to move from the MIAA.
                        Heard the same about Lindenwood. That would make a super heavy Missouri team league. Just not sure there is a team in Illinois/Indiana/Ky that could help balance geographically.

Comment

Originally posted by DUPanther View Post
                          My guess on the three pods:

Northwest: Truman, Rockhurst, William Jewell, Quincy, UIS
                          Southwest: S&T, Drury, UMSL, Maryville, McKendree
                          East: Parkside, Lewis, UIndy, USI, Bellarmine

Or, they could go this route:

Central: McKendree, Maryville, UMSL, Quincy, UIS
                          West: Truman, S&T, Drury, Rockhurst, William Jewell

The more I think about it, I'd probably lean towards the latter suggestion.

Which would make sense geographically, though there are probably a lot of logistics (ie. exit fees to the MIAA) that might not make it as easy.
                          Cal U (Pa.) Class of 2014

Comment

Heard the same about Lindenwood. That would make a super heavy Missouri team league. Just not sure there is a team in Illinois/Indiana/Ky that could help balance geographically.
                            Lindenwood is in St Louis. That's closer to some of the Illinois teams than it is to a good portion of the teams in Missouri. It's just about the same distance to USI as it is to Rockhurst from there.

Comment

Originally posted by ctrabs74 View Post
                              My guess on the three pods:

Northwest: Truman, Rockhurst, William Jewell, Quincy, UIS
                              Southwest: S&T, Drury, UMSL, Maryville, McKendree

May make sense geographically, but might as well hand Drury the regular season men's basketball title every year and the regional top seed. That's five of the best six programs in the East. They get to beat each other up while Drury gets to coast. At least Truman has Quincy and a resurgent Rockhurst in its pod. Drury would have nothing but puff. I think USI and BU would definitely have a problem with that alignment even for only a year. Both teams have some returning talent and could be set for a run at the national championship. Bad enough they have to play each other four times a year already but to add Indy, UWP and Lewis to that would not be exactly fair.

Comment

I read this morning that St. Joseph had raised $200,000. They needed $20,000,000. So, the college has raised 1 percent of what they needed.

Purdue said they would help the students if possible. What will happen to their campus?

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X