Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: USI to OVC, UE to GMAC?

Originally posted by kwcpantherfan View Post
    I mean I do understand that part of it to a point but I guess where it loses me is if you're a D1 "nobody" and winning 10 games or less a season, I just don't see how that's preferable to being a D2 "nobody" that is winning conference titles, playing in the post season, and generally being very successful on the court. I mean if the same # of people ultimately are going to know your name at the end of the day, it seems to me like you would want to at least be winning while you're being ignored.
    Yep, there's that. For the record, I completely agree that I don't get the desire to go D1 when you have a high quality D2 program. I was just trying to add some thought on what coaches and administrators may be thinking when they make that decision. Also, let's not forget that "ladder climbing" potential may have something to do with it, as well. In other words, the ambitious AD may be thinking, "If I can take this program to D1, I can have opportunities to move to BIG TIME D1"

Comment

A lot of what ABjo said is spot on but somewhat dated. Internet has had some impact to help D2. I still do not understand why a player would enjoy playing for a sub 500 team. Losing some games by 20 and not getting to play. By not playing you do not get better. If going D1 was so great you would not have hundreds transferring each year.

Comment

Originally posted by Knightmoves View Post
        I am against BU going D1, but the move probably made sense for NKU. The OVC wouldn't let NKU in, mostly because they were afraid that they would be better than the rest of the league in short order. Of course what most people on this board aren't thinking about is the non-revenue sports and how much more will be spent on those when a team goes D1. NKU's league is mostly in Florida, I would think that overall travel budgets are outrageous.
        NKU already switched to the Horizon league.

Comment

Guess that had already been said

Comment

Originally posted by Looking For 9 View Post
            A lot of what ABjo said is spot on but somewhat dated. Internet has had some impact to help D2. I still do not understand why a player would enjoy playing for a sub 500 team. Losing some games by 20 and not getting to play. By not playing you do not get better. If going D1 was so great you would not have hundreds transferring each year.
            Internet streamed games doesn't help expose your program to NEW people. True, it helps your current fans and parents see their school and kids more often, but your average Joe fan doesn't say "let me go to some random D2 school's website and watch a basketball game."

Comment

Originally posted by DJ Silky Panties View Post
              They will bring football back. They need 80 or more to pay 50k a yr. they already have a football stadium named after a basketball coach they play soccer in
              I mean USI. Playing OVC football from scratch would be a huge task.

Comment

Originally posted by ABjo View Post
                Internet streamed games doesn't help expose your program to NEW people. True, it helps your current fans and parents see their school and kids more often, but your average Joe fan doesn't say "let me go to some random D2 school's website and watch a basketball game."
                That's true and I'd also point out that the same is true of low level D1 teams - they are doing streaming as well, so the level of exposure is still pretty equivalent.

Comment

It's a start at least and you should be doing so if your games aren't televised -- and at the D2 level you shouldn't be charging (I'm looking at you, Southwest Baptist).

Comment

Now, more difficult:

Say USI looks at St. Joe's closing and the GLVC response and says, "we're done. OVC how about it?"

UIndy and Bellarmine look at things and want out. Where do they go? Bellarmine seems a good fit for the GMAC, but UIndy less so. Do you think they go GMAC, GLIAC, Independent, D1, or D3?

Comment

What is the GLIAC doing next school year? Isn't a great deal of the south division going to the G-MAC?

Comment

Originally posted by Wabbott9 View Post
                        Now, more difficult:

Say USI looks at St. Joe's closing and the GLVC response and says, "we're done. OVC how about it?"

UIndy and Bellarmine look at things and want out. Where do they go? Bellarmine seems a good fit for the GMAC, but UIndy less so. Do you think they go GMAC, GLIAC, Independent, D1, or D3?
                        Personally, I think BU could follow USI and that would be more appealing for a D1 conference such as OVC to add two instead of one, especially two with such a close proximity to each other. UIndy would go to the GMAC, because you've said you want the IN presence.

But in all reality, I don't see USI considering a move until one of BU or UIndy makes the first move to bolt from the GLVC. D1 is expensive and there aren't any other good options in D2 for us...so they'll ride out the St Joe/GLVC changes until one of the other big dogs near us leaves.

Comment

This article is such a joke
                          http://www.midmajormadness.com/2016/...est-conference

you would think they are totally dominating D2 more than Harper did in his run and packing the stands. D1 players turning down full rides to come there. The fact is over the same course of time they have more NCAA wins than HoTWoD with 2 last year and have only made the NCAA twice in the same span. They average a consistent whopping 650 people per home game over the past decade despite having 27000 students.

Comment

Honestly, I don't expect USI to ever consider DI with the current inept administration, they couldn't handle it. While most of the sports teams could be "competitive" in a lower level DI conference like the OVC the ability to compete at a high level across the board doesn't exist. For instance, women's soccer, volleyball, women's tennis, men's golf, etc. are middle of the pack, at best, GLVC programs. Basketball, baseball, cross country and track, and softball would all be somewhat competitive right off the bat, especially cross country which already competes and beats major DI schools every year.

The biggest reason USI can't and won't make the jump is funding, the VC is seeing it's lowest donations in many years, partly because of Watson starting his own coaches club and some choosing to support a coach instead of the athletics program as a whole.

Comment

Speaking of the OVC, they just announced that the Ford Center will host their basketball tournament next year.

Comment

Originally posted by WestSideMafia View Post
                                Honestly, I don't expect USI to ever consider DI with the current inept administration, they couldn't handle it. While most of the sports teams could be "competitive" in a lower level DI conference like the OVC the ability to compete at a high level across the board doesn't exist. For instance, women's soccer, volleyball, women's tennis, men's golf, etc. are middle of the pack, at best, GLVC programs. Basketball, baseball, cross country and track, and softball would all be somewhat competitive right off the bat, especially cross country which already competes and beats major DI schools every year.

The biggest reason USI can't and won't make the jump is funding, the VC is seeing it's lowest donations in many years, partly because of Watson starting his own coaches club and some choosing to support a coach instead of the athletics program as a whole.
                                Coaches club lol...surely the dozen or so in his breakfast 'club' didn't have that much impact on the vc. If so the vc is in far worst shape than I thought.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X