X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BlueBlood
    replied
    Re: G-MAC All-Sports and Conference Business Thread

CU softball just took 3 of 4 from TNU. Both KWC and CU appear capable of competing with TNU this year. Hope one of us can keep them from a 5-peat.

Leave a comment:

• Looking For 9
    replied

I share your G-MAC pride

Leave a comment:

• UFSwimDad
    replied

If Ashland wants to come aboard, I am certainly for it. If not then so be it. Either way I just want to beat their arses. If they come aboard because they would be a top team in various sports, I would want to beat them. if not, I am sure UF will still schedule them in most sports and I would want to beat them because they thumbed their nose at the GMAC

Leave a comment:

• Looking For 9
    replied

Well said

I do believe Michigan will get their act together and schools will draw better students and 4 year players.

Leave a comment:

• kwcpantherfan
    replied

Originally posted by Looking For 9 View Post
    GLIAC site is very good. It list all of their national championships and ranking over the years. If you take out the teams that are leaving... national powerhouse conference
    may be a bit of an over statement.
    The average alumni of a school such as Ashland may not realize that right now. Three or four years from now when they realize that the teams that moved from the GLIAC to the G-MAC are stronger athletic programs than the schools that replaced them in the GLIAC they may be in for a reality check.

Frankly, while I would accept Ashland if they did choose to move to the G-MAC, at this point we don't "need" them. So if they want to look at our conference still as being a joke then they can just stay right there in the GLIAC and play all their games in the UP of Michigan and enjoy competing with those swollen state schools that are left up there.

Leave a comment:

• Looking For 9
    replied

GLIAC site is very good. It list all of their national championships and ranking over the years. If you take out the teams that are leaving... national powerhouse conference
    may be a bit of an over statement.

Leave a comment:

• UFSwimDad
    replied

I asked the question on the GLIAC board to an Ashland alumn on what his thought were on how the reaction to a move to the GMAC would be. His response:

If the reaction to talk of a conference move last year is any indication, it would be an ugly situation. Personally, I would probably stop going to games and donating for a few years. It would hurt.

Our situation is much different than the other Ohio schools that left, most of whom were NAIA schools until recently and are used to conference moves and big changes on the schedule. The GLIAC is our conference, and going back to its previous incarnation in the MIFC, has been for as long as most of the fanbase can remember. It'd be like Duke leaving the ACC. Are they an odd ball in a league full of huge state schools? Sure, but they still have success and that's where their history is.

Honestly I was a bit shocked at the way the Hillsdale alumni took their move in stride. That won't happen at AU.

AU is a D2 national powerhouse across the athletic department. The GLIAC is a conference with other powerhouses. The GMAC is not. Our home is in the GLIAC.
    Multi-Quote This Message

If this is how most of the alumni feel then it would seem to be very difficult for the admin to move to the GMAC.

Leave a comment:

• BlueBlood
    replied

Originally posted by Tech Boys View Post
    Curious as to what happened and sad to see this. The average D2 women's lax roster size is 22, OVU has 14. Hopefully it's best case that too many players had injuries leaving not enough active players for games.
    It's their first year to field a team. They announced adding it two years ago, so they should have two years of recruits by now. It looks like two years of recruits is only 10 players. I think they tried to play with a combo of their recruits and a couple senior athletes who already wrapped up their collegiate eligibility in their sports. A couple of the seniors also appear on the soccer roster.

But, like I said earlier, even if all underclassmen stay (probably unlikely), they need about 10 more recruits for next year.
    Last edited by BlueBlood; 04-13-2017, 05:55 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Tech Boys
    replied

Curious as to what happened and sad to see this. The average D2 women's lax roster size is 22, OVU has 14. Hopefully it's best case that too many players had injuries leaving not enough active players for games.

Leave a comment:

• BlueBlood
    replied

Ouch. I just checked their roster again. 4 seniors. You really need at least 20 on the roster. So, if they don't lose any underclassmen, they still need to recruit 10 for next year. And honestly, if you just had your school cancel your season, you might not be sticking around for next year to see if it's a go. Not a good situation.

Leave a comment:

• BlueBlood
    replied

Just noticed that OVU women's lacrosse only played 3 games and then cancelled the rest of their games (including all G-MAC games). Their roster only shows 14 players, which really isn't enough.

Leave a comment:

• Looking For 9
    replied

Let's look at what is happening with colleges. Private schools are closing or leaving ,some closing, dropping sports from conferences with large state schools. Recruiting students and justifying larger funding is the life blood of state schools. The business models are, as you say, diverse. How many state schools have closed or even gotten smaller. Being in a conference should be an asset to students and part of their life experience. The GLVC and it would appear the GLIAC did not meet that goal. It seems many states have found that having different levels of high schools sports is a good way to go. I think driven mostly by size. I think most understand that size and yes where the budget comes from can be important to who you play several times a year.

Leave a comment:

• Brandon
    replied

Explain why you think big state schools are more D2 than say G-MAC schools. Who are the little schools (under 2000) that are D1 ?
    Neither is "more" D2 than the other. D2 is diverse. D1 is diverse as well.

I encourage you not to focus on enrollment. The biggest factor is the budget.

I guess I also should have asked what you consider to be a big enrollment.

Leave a comment:

• Looking For 9
    replied

My comments were more about a conference being schools that meet certain metrics size being one. How many levels does football have?

Leave a comment:

• BlueBlood
    replied

got me.. you found one..any others? Not sure their kids enjoy their conference.
    Ha, I just know that they are the standard answer when someone asks about a really small D1. However, I used to live in the northeast. The Patriot League and NEC are riddled with Cedarville size schools.

Leave a comment:

Ad3

Collapse
Working...
X