Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CWU gets commit from Post Falls, Idaho shooting guard Colby Gennett https://cdapress.com/news/2020/apr/0...tar-gennett-5/

Was named 5A All-State 1st Team and led Post Falls to state title game, but got no recruiting love from NNU or other D2 programs. Lewis & Clark State, EOU, and Corban were his only other offers

Comment

Today WOU got a commitment from 6-7 Elihu Cobb III, from College of the Sequoias in California. I know all highlight tapes look good, but I really liked his inside game and leaping ability. He'll be a nice addition.

WOU was fortunate to get three quality players redshirted last year:

Etan Collins, a 6-6 forward who started the previous year as a freshman. He was 2nd on the team in rebounding as a true frosh.

RJ Veliz a high-scoring guard from Woodburn, Oregon.

Drew Rippingham, a quality (45%+) 3-point shooter from Lassen, JC (California).

A good group, and I like the way coach Pifer utilizes the redshirt year, a gift coaches often don't use. Nothing is more maddening than a player who doesn't play much, but plays enough to burn his redshirt and then he starts getting real good but then his eligibility lapses. Nice they got three players redshirted last season.

Comment

UAA got the JC/Czech kid, big dude ... UAA really helped themselves on the recruiting trail this year.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by tsull View Post
            UAA got the JC/Czech kid, big dude ... UAA really helped themselves on the recruiting trail this year.

Comment

CWU adding two D1 transfers from Santa Clara and Fresno State https://twitter.com/MSJCBASKETBALL/s...40322849271809

Comment

Originally posted by CWU Wildcat Nation View Post
                CWU adding two D1 transfers from Santa Clara and Fresno State https://twitter.com/MSJCBASKETBALL/s...40322849271809
                Wow, appears to be two pretty good recruits, guys who could make an impact right away.

Comment

Looks like Rinta at CWU is trying hard to re-make his roster. Today on Verbal Commits he has offers out to some 6-5/6-6 swingmen from the east coast and California. I know nothing about either player. He just added two D-1 transfers. I think CWU will be improved next year, even without knowing anything about the new players.

* WOU just signed a 6-7 forward from Umpqua CC, their 3rd UCC player now on the roster, though one, a redshirt, played his last JC season at a different school. The surprising part was Rusty made an offer at UAA and didn't get him. UAA staff has killed it on the recruiting trail this year.

Comment

Originally posted by tsull View Post
                    Looks like Rinta at CWU is trying hard to re-make his roster. Today on Verbal Commits he has offers out to some 6-5/6-6 swingmen from the east coast and California. I know nothing about either player. He just added two D-1 transfers. I think CWU will be improved next year, even without knowing anything about the new players.

* WOU just signed a 6-7 forward from Umpqua CC, their 3rd UCC player now on the roster, though one, a redshirt, played his last JC season at a different school. The surprising part was Rusty made an offer at UAA and didn't get him. UAA staff has killed it on the recruiting trail this year.

Comment

I totally agree with the SPU model. Now, of course, I've enjoyed many of WOU's transfers over the years, Tanner Omlid, Nichols, Morgan, Faruq-Bey, etc., Shaw made a living off them. That said, WOU's Final 4 team had three 4-year starting players in Avgi, Alexander, and Wiley, and yeah, transfers around them. I won't speak for other schools, but WOU's problem has been retaining the freshman. Pretty good guards from L.A. (Reese) and Seattle (Baker) left after a year or two. High-flying forward from freaking nearby Albany left after a year. I saw him at the regional playoffs and wondered why he'd quit the program. They got an OSU transfer, Roth, a Salem kid, who had like 3 or 4 years to play. He left after one year ... not sure if it was injury or not. Four freshmen off the 2018-19 team left the WOU team; four frosh left the 2017-2018 team; four frosh left the 2016-17 team ... you get the idea.

Obviously SPU has the great backyard for recruiting and a bunch of guys who don't want to leave the city. I like Monmouth, Oregon, but let's face it, it can be very quiet. But stability is the key. I think WOU's best player next year is Darius Lubom, a 4-year player. I think for now, WOU will keep with their JC and prep model, I don't have a problem with it. But SPU is pulling ahead and at times it seems like they have less physical talent, yet still win the league with ease. I think that comes from all that 3- and 4-year experience.

Comment

As a fairly infrequent visitor to this board, I agree that the SPU model seems to be working well. Also noticed that they just announced their 3 signings on twitter and again have found impactful 4 year players. 6'9" Kelton Samore was a 3 star recruit out of HS and is apparently enrolled at SPU after leaving his last school, he has 4 years to play. They signed a PG from Eastside Catholic, a traditional power in Seattle, and another guard from Oregon. They seem to have reloaded again and should be good for a long time.

Comment

WOU had a remarkable 10-game win streak over SPU broken this past year. Frankly, a 5-game streak would've been nice, 10 was gravy. It's a great program in Seattle, probably not appreciated by the locals that much. The games don't draw that well, they have a solid gym, cheap ticket prices and a great product. Even during that streak SPU took it to OT or double OT a few times and I thought WOU had superior talent. SPU knows how to play, they're ballers and winners.

Comment

Rinta sure is going for the trophy fish in recruiting at CWU. He just offered 6'10" San Bernardino Valley College's Cameron Butler, who has 3 D1 offers (though one is to Chicago State so not sure if that counts lol). Would be a miracle to reel this guy in, but check out his highlights! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BySU...ature=youtu.be

And Myles Washington the former USC Aiken guy from North Carolina has literally a dozen D2 offers from mainly east coast programs, so pretty unlikely to get him either.

CWU did just get a commit from Central Catholic, Oregon 6'8" Gaige Ainslie.

I made a Facebook Note listing CWU's recruits and recruiting targets: https://www.facebook.com/notes/cwu-c...9908472456621/

Comment

CWU just signed 6'6" forward Jalai O'Keith from Foothills Christian in El Cajon, CA

Also commit from 6'8" forward Gaige Ainslie from Central Catholic in Portland

Comment

Emanuel Gant, a good 6-6 forward for WOU, is transferring out. Bummer, I really liked his game, tough rebounder, good passer and scorer. Had high hopes for him. His journey was interesting to come to WOU, Jim Shaw signed him out of an Arizona JC (where he was also a standout QB and also the all-time passing leader in Arizona high school football); he didn't make it into WOU, the Wolves stuck with him. Shaw re-signed him, new coach Pifer stuck with him.

I don't know the details of his departure, seemed like a good guy, hope he finds his niche somewhere. As a fan, I'm going to miss his game.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X