Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Cal Baptist moving to D-1/WAC ... don't like it

Originally posted by northernGNAChoopfan View Post
    I have heard these silly rumors coming out of Anchorage for the last year or so too. I'm sure UAA would love to think of itself as DI worthy and to their credit, they are very, very good in several sports (women's basketball, volleyball and their indoor track and cross country, right?), but I still think it's an absurd idea. It's hard to imagine on what rational plane anyone could argue that it makes financial sense at all right now. The state is broke and as of yet, has not figured any sort of long term plan to correct the situation. I don't think there is any way that money like what flowed into the Alaska Airlines Center is going to flow into the athletics department right now to support a DI transition. I'm totally with Tsull on this one too, as far as what I want outa college sports in AK... Please, UAA, keep your ego in check and stay DII.

Comment

The conference you mention is a bunch of schools that "no one cares about" as well. Bakersfield and Portland State were D2 schools not that long ago. Even if you were in a conference with those schools, it wouldn't make a difference to the people in San Antonio.

The University of Hawaii has a $41 million athletic budget.

Not only is UAA NOT clearly a Division I school, they look a lot like a lot of the good DII schools.

Alaska-Anchorage
      Enrollment: 6,837
      Budget: $12,962,141 (includes Division I hockey)

Grand Valley
      Enrollment: 19,372
      Budget: $14,771,299 (no hockey)

Central Missouri
      Enrollment: 8,011
      Budget: $10,604,698 (no hockey)

Northwest Missouri
      Enrollment: 4,938
      Budget: $9,897,409 (no hockey)

Minnesota State
      Enrollment: 10,872
      Budget: $11,365,511 (includes D1 hockey)

There are 47 DII schools with a bigger enrollment than UAA.

There is little reason for a Division I conference to add a school from Alaska except out of the need to keep a conference in tact. The state population of 738,432 doesn't provide a huge television market. In addition, the weather can make travel an issue.

Having said that, I'm sure UAA is a fine school and you are rightfully proud to be an alum. However, that doesn't mean it's any different than a lot of DII schools.

Comment

What league are you playing in?

Let's break this down: Portland State is in the Big Sky, which requires football. They are not starting up their own league. The school is $9M in debt right now, they don't have any grandiose athletic plans. Northridge and CSUB are in the Big West. That is a California-only school with the exception of Hawaii for non-football sports. They are not adding Alaska. Sac State is in the Big Sky and are aligned with rival UC Davis in that conference for FOOTBALL, which UAA does not have. UC Davis is in the Big West (California only) for other sports. UC Riverside is in the Big West, a California only conference.

There has been ZERO talk of the league you're talking about forming, none, zip, nada. Hopes and dreams. If UAA wants to go D-1, more power to you, you do profile like a low-major D-1 school.

You have no league to go in. You can make up this fantasy league ... it's not happening. Also, no one wants to fly to Alaska for athletic contests. Hawaii is one thing, you can tell recruits you make Hawaii trips, that's enticing. Also, Hawaii has great prep football ... again, a sport UAA does not have and most certainly won't add.

Bottom line: No league to join. Your geography kills you ... and yes, I will talk to you about weather. Hawaii's is great; Alaska's is not. Makes a difference in recruiting.

Have fun creating that league you're talking about as it's not happening.

Comment

Comment

I'm not missing the vision. I think UAA could be D-1 better than Cal Baptist if not for one thing: location. It's 100% location. Cal Baptist is in the L.A. metro area; Seattle U. is in Seattle. Alaska is near the north pole. It's all location. The GNAC schools like the Alaska schools, they're classy; they hate the money drain of travel. It's not vision, it's LOCATION, all of it. You simply cannot compare the arctic north to L.A. or even trendy Seattle.

Ask any A.D., it's all location.

* For those who know how to use the internet: L.A. to Seattle round trip can be done for $250, sometimes lower; Boise had a $125 round trip to L.A. this winter. L.A. to Anchorage one way is usually about $350.

** Hawaii is expensive ... but you get to go to Hawaii, that's the difference. Also, coaches can take their teams to where the recruits are: SoCal, Hawaii (for football and some hoop); Seattle (great prep hoops); NorCal, etc. Alaska doesn't provide anything enticing for D-1 leagues ... and of course, there's no D-1 league to join. They don't fit the blueprint of any D-1 league in the west. WCC is all private, BTW.
            Last edited by tsull; 04-27-2017, 10:22 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by tsull View Post
              I'm not missing the vision. I think UAA could be D-1 better than Cal Baptist if not for one thing: location. It's 100% location. Cal Baptist is in the L.A. metro area; Seattle U. is in Seattle. Alaska is near the north pole. It's all location. The GNAC schools like the Alaska schools, they're classy; they hate the money drain of travel. It's not vision, it's LOCATION, all of it. You simply cannot compare the arctic north to L.A. or even trendy Seattle.

Ask any A.D., it's all location.

* For those who know how to use the internet: L.A. to Seattle round trip can be done for $250, sometimes lower; Boise had a $125 round trip to L.A. this winter. L.A. to Anchorage one way is usually about $350.

** Hawaii is expensive ... but you get to go to Hawaii, that's the difference. Also, coaches can take their teams to where the recruits are: SoCal, Hawaii (for football and some hoop); Seattle (great prep hoops); NorCal, etc. Alaska doesn't provide anything enticing for D-1 leagues ... and of course, there's no D-1 league to join. They don't fit the blueprint of any D-1 league in the west. WCC is all private, BTW.
              Ok we will have to agree to disagree. I get what you are saying on Airplane costs. Look at UAA Division I hockey locations or UAA Division I gymnastics. D-1 Gym flies to Shreveport to take on Centenary! Location goes out the window! But we will agree to disagree.

Comment

I was going to say something but after being classified "delusional", etc, etc, etc... Welcome to the board???

I believe, but am not certain that UAF and UAA pay extra to the GNAC to help subsidize travel to Alaska for the other teams. When the schools were talking about the options last spring when axing sports all-together was on the table, this was mentioned in one article. Not sure how much though. There is no doubt in my mind that having two schools from Alaska is the only way the GNAC works with Alaska schools-can't see everyone flying up to Fairbanks for one game here. I personally don't really care what UAA wants to do, but obviously would like to keep being able to watch UAF ball and I think that only happens if UAA and UAF remain in the GNAC.

Please people, don't classify this argument as an "Alaskan" idea-it's an Anchorage idea. You can keep your Olive Gardens and your DI visions down south please. As the legislature is in extra session right now and the state senate prepared to drop more steep blows to the UA budget, I'm not sure who will wait longer Seawolf... You for your DI dream or me for my dream of seeing the Nooks hand the Seawolves with Rusty in charge a nice thrashing.

Comment

Originally posted by northernGNAChoopfan View Post
                  I was going to say something but after being classified "delusional", etc, etc, etc... Welcome to the board???

I believe, but am not certain that UAF and UAA pay extra to the GNAC to help subsidize travel to Alaska for the other teams. When the schools were talking about the options last spring when axing sports all-together was on the table, this was mentioned in one article. Not sure how much though. There is no doubt in my mind that having two schools from Alaska is the only way the GNAC works with Alaska schools-can't see everyone flying up to Fairbanks for one game here. I personally don't really care what UAA wants to do, but obviously would like to keep being able to watch UAF ball and I think that only happens if UAA and UAF remain in the GNAC.

Please people, don't classify this argument as an "Alaskan" idea-it's an Anchorage idea. You can keep your Olive Gardens and your DI visions down south please. As the legislature is in extra session right now and the state senate prepared to drop more steep blows to the UA budget, I'm not sure who will wait longer Seawolf... You for your DI dream or me for my dream of seeing the Nooks hand the Seawolves with Rusty in charge a nice thrashing.
                  Let me apologize for that. I do not mean to come on this D-2 board and start insulting. I do apologize for this. Just chalk me up for one who supports UAA going Division I. I know that this is a D-2 board. Once again, please accept my apologies for being insulting on saying "delusional." That was uncalled for.

Comment

Your gym is beautiful.

Comment

Originally posted by Seawolf1 View Post
                      Ok we will have to agree to disagree. I get what you are saying on Airplane costs. Look at UAA Division I hockey locations or UAA Division I gymnastics. D-1 Gym flies to Shreveport to take on Centenary! Location goes out the window! But we will agree to disagree.
                      They are begrudgingly flying to Alaska and there aren't many gymnastics or hockey teams in the country. It's all location, 100%. It's too bad, because Anchorage seems like a cool place and they have a killer arena.

It's just location.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X