Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: GNAC looking at a new school

I agree with looking at other schools, I'd prefer they make their pitches to schools with football -- Carroll, SOU, EOU -- but maybe they have. Bellevue would be interesting, I guess. I just don't believe CWU is D-1 bound, unless they plan on cutting football and joining the we-take-everybody-WAC, and since CWU just spent a lot in football stadium improvements, I doubt they're cutting the sport.

Comment

GNAC has 11 schools. They would not have to seek a "replacement" in any kind of quick time frame.

CWU is not looking to go anywhere. THis is poor conjecture.

Comment

Originally posted by Runnin' Cat View Post
        GNAC has 11 schools. They would not have to seek a "replacement" in any kind of quick time frame.

CWU is not looking to go anywhere. THis is poor conjecture.
        Also, when people say, "I don't know what league," it's just happening, a school has to have a conference to join. The Big Sky is not adding right now or in the near future and I've heard they want to get out of the smaller, regional schools -- NAU, Northern Colorado, Southern Utah, Dixie, etc. -- and would like to get something more Montana-like and less Southern Utah (5K stadium). That's just what I've heard.

It's like the UAA guy who came in here last year blasting D2 and saying UAA has to go up. UAA in many ways profiles like a D-1 mid-major, but what league are they joining? Let's break it down in the West. The Pac-12 isn't taking any D2 or any FCS schools, period. If they expand, it will be Texas and Oklahoma, they tried that once. They don't even want any more small stadium schools like OSU and WSU. Next up the WAC, which doesn't have football, but has UM-Kansas City, Chicago State, and others. They just added Cal Baptist. Would they add an Alaska school with already having the most travel of any conference in America? Doubtful. The WCC (no football) is a private school only league and won't even let Seattle U. back in.

The Mountain West would love to trade San Jose State for a school that wins in football and gets great crowds, they'd basically love BYU to rejoin. They're not adding anyone from the Big Sky, case closed.

This isn't the East, South, or Midwest, where there are plenty of leagues to join. I get crickets when I say what league will these teams join? That's step 1, not step 5. You can't just be D1 or FCS because you want to, you have to have a league to join.

Comment

Originally posted by tsull View Post
          Also, when people say, "I don't know what league," it's just happening, a school has to have a conference to join. The Big Sky is not adding right now or in the near future and I've heard they want to get out of the smaller, regional schools -- NAU, Northern Colorado, Southern Utah, Dixie, etc. -- and would like to get something more Montana-like and less Southern Utah (5K stadium). That's just what I've heard.

It's like the UAA guy who came in here last year blasting D2 and saying UAA has to go up. UAA in many ways profiles like a D-1 mid-major, but what league are they joining? Let's break it down in the West. The Pac-12 isn't taking any D2 or any FCS schools, period. If they expand, it will be Texas and Oklahoma, they tried that once. They don't even want any more small stadium schools like OSU and WSU. Next up the WAC, which doesn't have football, but has UM-Kansas City, Chicago State, and others. They just added Cal Baptist. Would they add an Alaska school with already having the most travel of any conference in America? Doubtful. The WCC (no football) is a private school only league and won't even let Seattle U. back in.

The Mountain West would love to trade San Jose State for a school that wins in football and gets great crowds, they'd basically love BYU to rejoin. They're not adding anyone from the Big Sky, case closed.

This isn't the East, South, or Midwest, where there are plenty of leagues to join. I get crickets when I say what league will these teams join? That's step 1, not step 5. You can't just be D1 or FCS because you want to, you have to have a league to join.
          I would say step 1 of a D1 move has 3 parts. a) Number of sports sponsored, b) Finances, c) Conference invite. D1 requires 14 total sports sponsored where CWU has 13 NCAA sports, I doubt CWU has the budget that will support highly competitive D1 teams, and CWU does not have a conference invite.

Comment

Originally posted by Tech Boys View Post
            I would say step 1 of a D1 move has 3 parts. a) Number of sports sponsored, b) Finances, c) Conference invite. D1 requires 14 total sports sponsored where CWU has 13 NCAA sports, I doubt CWU has the budget that will support highly competitive D1 teams, and CWU does not have a conference invite.
            I'm sure the GNAC would love to add one or more teams. I have heard the same rumors around Bellevue before, but they would have to invest significantly in facilities to meet the NCAA D2 standard. In addition, their athletic budget would have to expand significantly. Same goes for the NAIA schools making the jump. NAIA doesn't have as strict compliance standards as the NCAA. It can be done, but it requires a significant investment for the schools.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by MrGNAC View Post
                I'm sure the GNAC would love to add one or more teams. I have heard the same rumors around Bellevue before, but they would have to invest significantly in facilities to meet the NCAA D2 standard. In addition, their athletic budget would have to expand significantly. Same goes for the NAIA schools making the jump. NAIA doesn't have as strict compliance standards as the NCAA. It can be done, but it requires a significant investment for the schools.
                Carroll College already has enough sports to go DII, and there budget would be above mid pack in the GNAC. SOU has the sports, and would be just below GNAC budget levels. EOU would have to add sports, and they would be at the bottom of the GNAC. CoI has the sports, a natural rival in the GNAC, and deep pockets for alums and area support.

BC would probably be the worst addition possible to the GNAC. They are not even close to being ready.

Comment

Carroll College already has enough sports to go DII, and there budget would be above mid pack in the GNAC. SOU has the sports, and would be just below GNAC budget levels. EOU would have to add sports, and they would be at the bottom of the GNAC. CoI has the sports, a natural rival in the GNAC, and deep pockets for alums and area support.

BC would probably be the worst addition possible to the GNAC. They are not even close to being ready.
                  Carroll had started the transition to D2 several years ago... I think around the same time Simon Fraser joined. Not sure what happened. Maybe they will revisit based on today's news that Lewis and Clark State is moving to the Cascade Conference.

Comment

Originally posted by MrGNAC View Post
                    Carroll had started the transition to D2 several years ago... I think around the same time Simon Fraser joined. Not sure what happened. Maybe they will revisit based on today's news that Lewis and Clark State is moving to the Cascade Conference.
                    LC State is not that big a deal in the Frontier. It makes sense since LC is baseball and hoops, where as the Frontier is mostly about football and hoops. The CCC sponsors 10 of LCSC's 12 sports, whereas the Frontier only supports seven. With NAIA hoops moving to only one division in 2020-21, it becomes an even more no brainer as the CCC will effectively be on par with the Frontier.

The big deal with Carroll is that they are concerned about moving to D2 and losing "natural rivals" in Tech, Western and Rocky Mountain.
                    Last edited by Runnin' Cat; 05-20-2019, 05:33 PM.

Comment

What sports would EOU have to add? EOU and SOU have the same sports. They have all the GNAC sports except baseball and men's and women's golf and also have wrestling.

Comment

It must be late May....... spring ball is done, fall workouts are 2 1/2 months away....... it's the moving up thread! CWU ain't going anywhere. Stadium is great, but is half the size of Eastern and it's my belief that the Big Sky wants nothing to do with us, which is great!

Carroll and SOU....... I'll believe it when I see it. UAA and UAF, no idea how they move up.

Not being negative, always enjoy the banter and points made, but just wanted to add my $0.02.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Tech Boys View Post
                            What sports would EOU have to add? EOU and SOU have the same sports. They have all the GNAC sports except baseball and men's and women's golf and also have wrestling.
                            My mistake. I was going off past knowledge. I see they added softball, and not sure what they added on the men's side. They do have teh number of sports to go DII. They still have a below average athletic budget.

Comment

I will be there with you. No football, NO GNAC!

Comment

I will be there with you. No football, NO GNAC!
                                Yep on all accounts. College of Idaho and Carroll College are each at the NAIA max for football scholarships, which is 24 or 25, they each would transition well to D2, IMO.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X