Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moffitt and Schumacher D1 Success

Two more GNAC to D1 success stories this season. Former SMU star Alex Schumacher is now starting at Seattle U where he is averaging 10.6 ppg, despite fairly poor shooting percentages. Meanwhile, former SPU star Divant'e Moffitt is tearing it up as a starter at Idaho, averaging 16.8 ppg and 5.6 apg. He scored a season high 31 vs UC Riverside also with 29 vs Omaha.

Originally posted by CWU Wildcat Nation View Post
    Two more GNAC to D1 success stories this season. Former SMU star Alex Schumacher is now starting at Seattle U where he is averaging 10.6 ppg, despite fairly poor shooting percentages. Meanwhile, former SPU star Divant'e Moffitt is tearing it up as a starter at Idaho, averaging 16.8 ppg and 5.6 apg. He scored a season high 31 vs UC Riverside also with 29 vs Omaha.
    Wouldn't you consider a move from SMU to SeattleU a lateral at best?

Moffitt and the Vandals play MSU tonight in Bozeman.

Comment

Originally posted by Runnin' Cat View Post

Wouldn't you consider a move from SMU to SeattleU a lateral at best?
      Seattle U had a great season last year and got snubbed from a postseason tournament. They've become a pretty decent program under that new coach Victor. And remember the former SMU coach Pribble is the assistant at Seattle.

Comment

Originally posted by CWU Wildcat Nation View Post

Seattle U had a great season last year and got snubbed from a postseason tournament. They've become a pretty decent program under that new coach Victor. And remember the former SMU coach Pribble is the assistant at Seattle.
        They were second in the WAC regular season with this schedule, which included an NAIA and a DIII. And they WAC has some pretty weak teams, ones that would struggle in teh They lost to the only decent teams they played (US, WSU, UNLV, NMSU x2). They lost to Virginia Military!

https://goseattleu.com/sports/mens-b...hedule/2021-22

They had an unprecedented season last year. Certainly. They just are not a really good program. It wasn't a snub. They play in a 999 seat "arena", and probably that factored in to not inviting them as well.

The WAC is a very weak conference. A lot of those teams would be middling programs in the GNAC.

Comment

I'm not knocking D2 basketball with this comment, but Runnin' Cat, you are wrong thinking that the WAC is a weak league and that a lot of the WAC teams would be middling GNAC programs. According to Bart Torvik, the WAC is rated as the 12th toughest D1 league in the country. There are 33 leagues in Division 1 basketball.

St. Martin's to Seattle U is not a lateral move. If the 2 teams played each other, would it be competitive? Maybe, but that doesn't make it apples to apples.

St. Martin's (like any D2 team) likely has 1-2 players who could be on Seattle U and contribute in a meaningful way. On the contrary, Seattle U likely has 6-8 kids who could completely change the complexion of St. Martin's. End of story.

Comment

I said Moffitt would be UI's best player, he's that or 2nd best. The program is really bad of late, winning 4 and 5 games a year, but he's playing well vs. D1 competition. He's a grad transfer, I believe, so he had a solid career at SPU and is making the most of a new opportunity. I've seen a lot of Big Sky ball over the years and I believe the WAC is a better conference. Idaho was in the WAC at one time (among many conferences) when it had Boise State and Nevada and they were competitive. The WAC is diluted from those days but still solid.

I saw a lot of talent on the floor last night at WOU. Both teams had a few D1 guys on the floor, lot of action played above the rim, lots of dunks and in traffic, WOU's Benzel can really leap. What wasn't good was 23 WWU turnovers and 22 WOU turnovers ... got off track there.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
            Working...
            X