Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• West Regional outlook

Here's how I see it, admittedly without much research..............

1. Cal State LA
    2. Cal State San Bernardino
    3. Cal State DH
    4. MSUB
    5. Point Loma
    6. Central Washington
    7. Azusa Pacific
    8. UA Anchorage

You could convince me that Chico State survives, instead of UAA sneaking in eighth, but given the fact that St. Martin's just tanked it the past month, no way the former #1 team in the country even makes the bracket.

As expected, SMU drops out, but way to go UAA for making it! Well deserved! And I definitely like CWU 's seed, facing CSUDH then winner of LA and APU. Would prefer not to face Bernardino until the championship game. That school seems to beat us in everything

Comment

The actual seedings:

1) Cal State LA
      2) Cal State SB
      3) MSUB
      4) Cal State Dom Hills
      5) CWU
      6) Chico
      7) UAA
      8) APU

I'm as mystified as ever, but I guess it's good for the GNAC to get 3 in. The other conferences must have been as much of a mess as the GNAC for this to happen! By reading UAA press release today, it does not appear like this was on Rusty's radar...

Comment

Well, I was way off on Point Loma, but I'm happy to be off about CWU's seed! You could convince me that CWU knocks off DH and LA to play Bernardino in the Sweet 16. I'm getting tired of those guys though!

Comment

Surprised UAA got in over PacWest regular season champs PLNU. Great for the GNAC but how can you have a west regional without a 20+ win PLNU?

Comment

This is very similar to what happened with the GNAC and PacWest two years ago, with the roles reversed.

UAA being 3-0 against St. Martin's is a big reason why they got in. Point Loma was an easy omission based on being 1-2 against teams in the top 10 of the region by RPI; UAA was 6-5 in such games.

Comment

I can't figure out any way that the Anchorage Women end up behind Point Loma. Better RPI, PI, record, and record against Ranked teams in region. I guess the SOS isn't great, but I figured they were closer to Pomona then they were to Point Loma or LA.

Comment

I'm calling it an Azusa/Western Washington women's west final...........with Azusa getting the nod.

Comment

Originally posted by Inkblot View Post
                  This is very similar to what happened with the GNAC and PacWest two years ago, with the roles reversed.

UAA being 3-0 against St. Martin's is a big reason why they got in. Point Loma was an easy omission based on being 1-2 against teams in the top 10 of the region by RPI; UAA was 6-5 in such games.
                  That's a pretty telling couple of stats right there. Shows the difficulty of the GNAC this season.

Comment

Originally posted by northernGNAChoopfan View Post

By reading UAA press release today, it does not appear like this was on Rusty's radar...
                    His quotes sounded like a guy ready to plan the end of season banquet and head out on recruiting trips. He's probably my favorite GNAC opposing coach. He's had a lot of success in his years, but didn't realize how long it had been since he's been to the tournament.

Comment

Originally posted by D2Rover View Post
                      I can't figure out any way that the Anchorage Women end up behind Point Loma. Better RPI, PI, record, and record against Ranked teams in region. I guess the SOS isn't great, but I figured they were closer to Pomona then they were to Point Loma or LA.
                      This is the one thing (in any region, men's or women's) that I don't really have an explanation for.

Comment

Originally posted by Goods View Post

His quotes sounded like a guy ready to plan the end of season banquet and head out on recruiting trips. He's probably my favorite GNAC opposing coach. He's had a lot of success in his years, but didn't realize how long it had been since he's been to the tournament.
                        Ha…did you think my frustrations were based on nothing? We went from a team who consistently made the ncaa tournament, then were given a state of the art complex to play, practice and workout in. Rusty’s teams then proceed to go on the longest drought in school history by far. It’s been years and years of mediocrity.

I don’t think all is solved making the tournament this year…UAA went on a big run down the stretch but won a bunch of those games by the skin of their teeth. If even one of those games has a ball bounce in a different direction? We are starting year 13 of this drought.

Rusty is doing a better job of recruiting local talent for sure and that’s great. Honestly however I’m not seeing a ton of player development happening while guys are here. Players more or less stay the same from when they walk in the door till when they leave. And I’m just not a fan of how he builds a team, either play slow and build a big team designed to play that way or play small but fast with shooting. It’s like he recruits players without much thought to the style he wants to play.

I don’t know…I’m still having trouble with the direction the program is headed. Given the Seawolves legacy and facilities we should be a lot better than we are. 12 years between ncaa tournaments never should have been a thing.
                        Last edited by Anchorage; 03-14-2024, 01:53 AM.

Comment

I hear your opinion. I'm looking at it from a guy who sees him 1-2x /year, so my opinion is swayed by an enjoyable two hours of watching him coach per year!

As for facilities, you're arena is incredible. If it's not the best in all of D2, then I'm shocked to see who's above you. We're very proud of our complete renovation of our basketball arena at CWU, but also the entire facility with weight room, offices, multiple locker rooms, huge indoor practice facility for outdoor sports. Plus a better fan experience from a seating perspective. Hopefully that gets the attention of recruits.............who still need to win!

Comment

What I'm most angry about? That the NCAA is making us pay for the streams this year. I suppose it's one way to help cover some of the NIL deals, but $10 per game or $30 for everything before the Final Four. $50 if you want both the men and women.

Comment

Yeah, that seems steep. I'm on the road today, so it'll just be live stats while out and about. Maybe tomorrow if we can make it.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X