Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Stadium Appreciation Thread/Discussion

Originally posted by SW_Mustang View Post
    I enjoyed my visit to the Blake. Fans treated me well, and the ticket lady gave me the student discount even though I don't go to MSU. The atmosphere wasn't bad either.

Obviously, the sight lines were tremendous. I could see just about everything from where I sat. Even though I was that high up, I felt like I was closer to the action than I've ever been at SMSU.

I think it could be one of the best stadiums in the state, given the right renovations, although I'm sure it's cheaper to just tear it down and start again.

On a side note, I'm actually working on coming over and joining the fun at MSU for a while as a part-time student. Stangs first and foremost, but I'd be lying if I said I didn't have a soft spot for the Mavs.
    I really enjoyed it too - it doesn't have the wow factor, but it's a great place to watch a game.

Comment

On a side note, I'm actually working on coming over and joining the fun at MSU for a while as a part-time student. Stangs first and foremost, but I'd be lying if I said I didn't have a soft spot for the Mavs.
      Welcome aboard!

Comment

Are the Argonauts going to build their own stadium at some point or are they going to continue to use this one? Either way, it looks like they are making that place work for them quite nicely. I bet it's a fun place to watch a game.
        I believe that is still the plan but I have no idea when. Blue Wahoos Stadium is a great venue in a perfect downtown location. It has good food, offers adult beverages and has been voted one of the best stadiums in Minor League Baseball on multiple occasions.

Comment

Originally posted by laker View Post
          Welcome aboard!
          Thanks!

Y'all have the perfect 5-course certificate program to supplement my life plans. Figured I'd give it a shot.

Comment

Originally posted by Mulerider View Post
            Not necessarily, but if you have that much enrollment. Why not move up? They prove they can win with National Championships. Do you not have enough revenue from that many students? Heck Grand Valley's endowment is close to Central Michigan and they are D1 FBS.
            Grand Valley has won D2 National Championships with D2 players, D1 is a different animal. The MAC is the only conference with football in the area that GVSU has a chance with and they are not expanding any time soon; and certainly not with a D2. If Grand Valley was to go to any other conference, the MVFC is the only option for football and it's a long way to almost all of those teams. There are several other D2 (and D3) schools larger than GVSU.

Comment

I've made the trip down to USF twice. I love their stadium. Temp at kickoff for week 3 this year was 91.
              Appreciate your love for "the Bob" SW_Mustang! The REC is still my favorite place to catch a game in the NSIC. But the Bob and the REC both have two things that I love, open concourses, and easily accessible tailgates.

As for Bob Young Field, it's come a long ways since its opening in 2005 when the press box was nothing more than some plywood shacks atop the grandstand, no visitors seating, and the locker rooms were modified trailers. The Coo have added and updated piece by piece over the years. Well the trailers are still there, but thankfully now we only throw the visitors in there on gameday as late in 2013 USF opened their own locker room. The current pressbox/suites were installed around 2010 I believe. The whole area has filled out greatly as the trees have grown and filled out helping ease some of that SD wind, and the city has grown exponentially on the south side of town where it's located. When it first opened it was even windier and more bare believe it or not. Basically a field and grandstand on the outskirts of town. The new turf was installed in 2015 replacing the original turf. Rumor around campus was that the original turf was purchased used from a D1 school who used it as a practice field and was installed by the soccer team :bulgy-eyes:. The new stuff couldn't have come soon enough, it looks fantastic now.

Last edited by Otis Day; 10-10-2018, 04:35 PM.
              4x 'Crackerjack' NAIA National Champions - 1996, 2006, 2008, 2009
              2016 NSIC Champions
              🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑

Comment

Originally posted by togthorn View Post
                Colorado School of Mines has a little over 6,000 enrollment including graduate students. No wonder Grand Valley can seat so many.
                there are also over a million people within a half hour drive and no other college football in the grand rapids metro area

Comment

Thunderbowl

Comment

Originally posted by dvaara View Post
                    there are also over a million people within a half hour drive and no other college football in the grand rapids metro area
                    DU?
                    Hope?
                    just sayin

Comment

Carson-Newman's Burke-Tarr Stadium and the Ken Sparks Athletic Complex. And I included a picture of our daughter in her cheer uniform from last year :)

Last edited by canadarican; 10-10-2018, 08:27 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by laker View Post
                        Blakeslee Field in Mankato. Note the berm for the students on the south end of the stadium.

Laker, I visited Blakeslee once, in '75 (Indians 21-Chiefs 0). Did you make that one?

Comment

Originally posted by badboyblynn View Post
                          Laker, I visited Blakeslee once, in '75 (Indians 21-Chiefs 0). Did you make that one?
                          No, I did see several MSU-Chiefs matchups at the Blake- and one at Morningside- but not that game. I remember being at Homecoming that year- I think that they were playing UND- and a guy with an old man mask streaked across the field at halftime. First they handcuffed him to the goalpost, then a cop took off his coat and covered him. There was a picture in the Reporter that was just hilarious.

I was assistant football coach at my alma mater, Buffalo Lake, that year. I had no Friday classes and would get back home for practice on Thursdays. Back then MSU started pretty late in September so I was at all of the two a days and the early season practices too.

Comment

Originally posted by Mulerider View Post
                            I do not think that enrollment should be the only measure. Traditional basketball schools like Duke, Wake Forest and Gonzaga all of undergraduate enrollments of 5-7k students. Should they move down?[/Q

Not necessarily, but if you have that much enrollment. Why not move up? They prove they can win with National Championships. Do you not have enough revenue from that many students? Heck Grand Valley's endowment is close to Central Michigan and they are D1 FBS.
                            Grand Valley has two separate campuses. One is in downtown Grand Rapids and the main is in Allendale. When you are on the main campus, it has the feel of a 12,000 enrollment university.

As to why they don't move up? They're smart. Why spend more money to win less?

Does everyone buy a new house or car when they get a raise?

Comment

Originally posted by togthorn View Post
                              And what's the enrollment for Grand Valley?
                              Oh look, the ol "GV has too many students to be D2" argument.... haven't heard that in a while. If you're going to use that nonsense argument then the University of Notre Dame should be a D3 school. Get that crap out of here.

Comment

I really enjoy the sight lines at stadiums without a track around the field. Realistically, for most schools schools in D2, it makes sense to have the track and football field together. It would cost a lot of money to have two separate "stadiums" for those sports. A lot of schools even have the dual purpose fields for football and soccer. If I remember correctly, most stadiums that have football stadiums without tracks, are not newer stadiums....?

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X