Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• shipfbfan1
    replied
    So how about Matt Rhule jumping from Temple 2 years ago to being named HC of the Carolina Panthers and a 7 year $60 million contract to go along with the position lol. Baylor is now in a bind to make a quick higher to keep their guys from jumping ship into the portal.

Leave a comment:

• crixus
    replied
    The NCAA will expand the FBS playoffs to 8 teams, it's only a matter of time.

Leave a comment:

• Uwfalum98
    replied
    Seeing as how we are entering a new decade of "power 5 football". I thought I might do a little digging into the power 5 conference records against one another for the previous 10 years. Not surprisingly the SEC led the way and was the only conference with a winning record against the other 4, what was surprising to me was that the ACC was the only conference with a losing record against the other 4. It would seem my own research completely discredits my delusions of ACC grandeur. Another surprise was that the B10 had a losing record against everyone but the ACC and the B12 had a winning record against everyone but the SEC. In fact the only conference that had a winning record against the SEC last decade was the Big East. The one positive for the ACC is that they had the most wins and highest winning percentage against the SEC but then again most of those were probably wins by Clemson. So my apologies UWFMubbish, you are correct, aside from Clemson, the ACC is the weakest link.

Leave a comment:

• Uwfalum98
    replied
    24-Team College Football Playoff Bracket Using the FCS Playoff Format

Leave a comment:

• Uwfalum98
    replied
    Originally posted by UWFMubbish View Post

We'll just have to agree to disagree. As I mentioned before, I'm waiting to see if a one-loss ACC team makes the CFP. Until then, in my opinion, the ACC falls short of the cache of the B1G. They maybe have a little more pull than the Big12 and certainly more power than the PAC12. The ACC is nowhere near the SEC or Notre Dame. Clemson is a major player NOW (and it's been a helluva run), but let them lose one game next year during the regular season -- they won't see the CFP again. This is why I agree with Clemson being a power player for now, but not the ACC -- they don't have the conference-wide respect of the SEC or the B1G.
    Clemson has already made it twice with a loss, beat Alabama for the title and lost to Alabama in the semifinals the next year. Prior to this year the last 2 B10 teams that made the playoffs were outscored 69-0, that's pretty hard to forget. The last few seasons the B10 has been better as a whole than the ACC but is that really more important than championships?

Leave a comment:

• UWFMubbish
    replied
    Originally posted by Uwfalum98 View Post
    CFP

SEC 7 appearances 8-4 with 2 championships
    ACC 6 appearances 6-3 with 2 championships
    B10 4 appearances 2-3 with 1 championship
    B12 4 appearances 0-4 with 0 championships
    P12 3 appearances 1-2 with 0 championships
    IND 1 appearance 0-1 with 0 championships
    We'll just have to agree to disagree. As I mentioned before, I'm waiting to see if a one-loss ACC team makes the CFP. Until then, in my opinion, the ACC falls short of the cache of the B1G. They maybe have a little more pull than the Big12 and certainly more power than the PAC12. The ACC is nowhere near the SEC or Notre Dame. Clemson is a major player NOW (and it's been a helluva run), but let them lose one game next year during the regular season -- they won't see the CFP again. This is why I agree with Clemson being a power player for now, but not the ACC -- they don't have the conference-wide respect of the SEC or the B1G.

Leave a comment:

• Uwfalum98
    replied
    CFP

SEC 7 appearances 8-4 with 2 championships
    ACC 6 appearances 6-3 with 2 championships
    B10 4 appearances 2-3 with 1 championship
    B12 4 appearances 0-4 with 0 championships
    P12 3 appearances 1-2 with 0 championships
    IND 1 appearance 0-1 with 0 championships

Leave a comment:

• Uwfalum98
    replied
    Originally posted by CatFan88 View Post

I'm sorry but Clemson's run doesn't get the ACC as a CFP power player? Seriously? They have appeared 4 out of the first 6 NC games including 2020. Tough crowd.
    And the B10 has a grand total of 1 championship in the last 15 years, how does that put them anywhere near the SEC? I'd say the ACC is the only conference that has come close to challenging SEC dominance in the last decade.

Leave a comment:

• UWFMubbish
    replied
    Originally posted by CatFan88 View Post

I'm sorry but Clemson's run doesn't get the ACC as a CFP power player? Seriously? They have appeared 4 out of the first 6 NC games including 2020. Tough crowd.
    My response was about the conferences, not teams. But nonetheless, my response holds true when considering Clemson. When Clemson or any ACC team makes the CFP without a conference championship, then they are a major player. One loss, and they'd fall out of the top 10.

Leave a comment:

• CatFan88
    replied
    Originally posted by UWFMubbish View Post
    The CFP is really only the B1G and the SEC, especially the SEC. I wouldn't include the ACC, despite the recent run Clemson has made. The ACC the last 2-3 years has been openly criticized for weak teams outside of Clemson. Also, when a highly ranked, non-conference champion from the ACC makes the CFP, then they can be included as a true Power 5 conference.

I will agree that the PAC12 and Big12 have been fodder for the big dogs, especially the PAC. They get no respect compared to the other four conferences

Leave a comment:

• UWFMubbish
    replied
    The CFP is really only the B1G and the SEC, especially the SEC. I wouldn't include the ACC, despite the recent run Clemson has made. The ACC the last 2-3 years has been openly criticized for weak teams outside of Clemson. Also, when a highly ranked, non-conference champion from the ACC makes the CFP, then they can be included as a true Power 5 conference.

I will agree that the PAC12 and Big12 have been fodder for the big dogs, especially the PAC. They get no respect compared to the other four conferences

Leave a comment:

• CatFan88
    replied
    The CFP is the ACC, the SEC and the Big 10. The Big 12 is a an O-fer and the PAC 12 hasn't fared much better except Oregon getting blown out in the inaugural. There is no Power 5 and there is no such thing as a true NC in CFP.
    Last edited by CatFan88; 12-31-2019, 05:50 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Mk63NuclearBomb
    replied
    Originally posted by Techster88 View Post
    I used to think I wanted a FBS 16 team playoff bracket. But, after the last few years of watching so many mismatches I think 8 would be the most I would agree with at this point. I also agree that any playoff games should come with pay. Someone is making a fortune off these young men.

I couldn't help but think as I was watching Ohio State struggle in the second half would this even be a game if the Burrow kid was still there and actually getting to play? Letting this guy walk is even more of a national embarrassment to their program than it was for Texas Tech to not offer Mayfield a scholarship and let him walk because at least Tech could say we have Mahomes. Fields just looks like about a dozen other run pass QBs in D1. Jury still out on Haskins in NFL. I give him the benefit of doubt because he is at Washington. Not impressed in the few games I have watched him in the NFL so far. Barrett undrafted and bouncing around the league. SMH
    It depends on what you want. I'd argue that bad semifinals are the price we pay to have some absolute bangers for all the marbles. 3 of 5 playoff title games are classics and the most recent one featured the sport's greatest dynasty and undefeated defending champ getting boat-raced. It's not like we don't see crazy mismatched blowouts in the early rounds of FCS/D2/D3 playoffs anyways. Let's not kid ourselves though, pretty much every player on a playoff-caliber roster is getting something under the table.

Leave a comment:

• Techster88
    replied
    I used to think I wanted a FBS 16 team playoff bracket. But, after the last few years of watching so many mismatches I think 8 would be the most I would agree with at this point. I also agree that any playoff games should come with pay. Someone is making a fortune off these young men.

I couldn't help but think as I was watching Ohio State struggle in the second half would this even be a game if the Burrow kid was still there and actually getting to play? Letting this guy walk is even more of a national embarrassment to their program than it was for Texas Tech to not offer Mayfield a scholarship and let him walk because at least Tech could say we have Mahomes. Fields just looks like about a dozen other run pass QBs in D1. Jury still out on Haskins in NFL. I give him the benefit of doubt because he is at Washington. Not impressed in the few games I have watched him in the NFL so far. Barrett undrafted and bouncing around the league. SMH

Leave a comment:

• Brandon
    replied
    And they do it without breaks in the season. FBS teams have several breaks.

Leave a comment:

Ad3

Collapse
Working...
X