Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Buckwheat191 View Post
    It makes for good entertainment, but he does have a point. Your word should mean something. Today I don't think kids really understand the meaning of integrity. I chalk that up to lousy parenting.

If a kid is not 100% on board he should be honest with the coach(es). If the coaches are not sold on the kid and feel that there might be a reason not to honor an offer, than they should not string the kid along.
    Oh BS, if these kids didn't produce their scholarships would be revoked.

Comment

Originally posted by Turbonium View Post

Oh BS, if these kids didn't produce their scholarships would be revoked.
      I wasn't talking about not producing once they are on the team, I get that. I was talking about during the recruiting process.

Comment

Originally posted by Buckwheat191 View Post

I wasn't talking about not producing once they are on the team, I get that. I was talking about during the recruiting process.
        It doesn't matter, the kids have to do what they feel best and if that means they need to make a change then they should do so. Seems that the kids here are being held to a higher standard than adults, that simply doesn't make sense. Guarantee this same coach would leave in a heartbeat if the situation bettered his life or the life of his family. I'm sure he also spoke to kids who had already committed as well and if he didn't then he's failing at recruiting.

Comment

Originally posted by Turbonium View Post

It doesn't matter, the kids have to do what they feel best and if that means they need to make a change then they should do so. Seems that the kids here are being held to a higher standard than adults, that simply doesn't make sense. Guarantee this same coach would leave in a heartbeat if the situation bettered his life or the life of his family. I'm sure he also spoke to kids who had already committed as well and if he didn't then he's failing at recruiting.
          I love what you just said, and I couldn't have said it any better: "..kids are being held to higher standard than adults." I don't know Cooley personally, and I wish the best for him and Delta State. Why? Because I've always felt that a rising tide floats all boats (cliche I know, but true for the GSC).

However, I hope he and others who feel the way he does are taking a long, hard look at what happened with Mel Tucker taking the Michigan State HC job. Tucker claimed that he was committed to Colorado until them MSU dollar signs became too hard to resist. What happened to his commitment to the Buffs? Thrown to the wind to chase the money. And while I can't blame Tucker for the money grab (financial security for his family, etc.), the fact that he, in writing (a tweet), re-emphasized his commitment to Colorado made the money grab worse. So while understand Cooley's angst, dude needs to check his rage at the door and look at his fellow coaches first before going off on teenagers who may change their minds at the last second because of other offers, life happening, family issues, etc.

Comment

Comment

Thethe Columbia House references cracked me up....except for Babs.....not so entertaining

Comment

Originally posted by Fan_the_Flame View Post
                "We have a problem here....." Just wow. I guess 5 mediocre seasons will do that.
                <>

Comment

Once again, another example of a self unaware person in a position of authority angrily demanding that everyone else do as they say, but not as THEY do. It makes you wonder how many more double standards will run the program and it makes me feel sad for the players for having to deal with that on top of school, practice and life as a young person trying to enjoy their college experience.

Argo QB Reed was initially recruited out of high school by Argos, but chose to go D1 over Argos. He came back to Argos after one year and I doubt that would have happened if Coach Shinnick engages in bitter rant about changing your mind. The Argos rely on bounce back players and keep good relations with those who initially go elsewhere for chance to sign them later. This makes good sense at D2 level and 2019 Natty with record setting QB Reed proves this point.
                  Last edited by Argonut; 02-28-2020, 10:25 AM.

Comment

Athletes now have some power over their situation. Coaches can come and go as they please and make anywhere from $100,000 to $8 million doing it. Schools (mostly in the power 5 conferences) profit off of them to the tune of it being a multi-billion dollar industry. So this guy will forgive me if I don't feel an ounce of pity for him because four guys felt that they had a better opportunity elsewhere.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X