Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• laker
    replied
    Sinclair Community College in Ohio had cancelled sports for next year. Evidently they have 18,000 students and unlike the local MN two year schools give scholarships.

https://www.daytondailynews.com/spor...dpiHCNYYcPN9I/

Leave a comment:

• laker
    replied
    Originally posted by tsull View Post
    Most of the MAC should go FCS or D2. I saw a picture this year of either an Akron or Toledo game and there was ONE person one one side of the stadium, as in one fan. I didn't see the other side, but people said there were 500 people on that side, as in 501 people at the game. Yes, that low. I get playing body bag games and all that, but after awhile you gotta quit the D-1 charade of 6-figure coaches to work in front of 500 fans, while you cut half the colleges at your university.
    I've long thought that the MAC would make a great FCS league. Take a look at the attendance figures and overall that is not a FBS league. They could still get a payout game. I have no idea how Eastern Michigan football survived.

Remember when Northern Illinois was trying to get into the Big 12? Even then their attendance wasn't big enough to justify that fantasy.

Leave a comment:

• tsull
    replied
    Most of the MAC should go FCS or D2. I saw a picture this year of either an Akron or Toledo game and there was ONE person one one side of the stadium, as in one fan. I didn't see the other side, but people said there were 500 people on that side, as in 501 people at the game. Yes, that low. I get playing body bag games and all that, but after awhile you gotta quit the D-1 charade of 6-figure coaches to work in front of 500 fans, while you cut half the colleges at your university.

Leave a comment:

• laker
    replied
    Akron makes big cuts.

https://www.cleveland.com/education/...-pandemic.html

Leave a comment:

• Brandon
    replied
    I see a lot of advertisements for their online stuff.

Leave a comment:

• cwfenn
    replied
    Originally posted by SW_Mustang View Post

Inside Higher Ed says their enrollment was ~130,000 in 2018.

Leave a comment:

• SW_Mustang
    replied
    Originally posted by CALUPA69 View Post

I can only assume they have beaucoup $$$ since they are constantly running 30 second spots in NYC media market.
    Inside Higher Ed says their enrollment was ~130,000 in 2018.

Leave a comment:

• CALUPA69
    replied
    Originally posted by cwfenn View Post
    Southern New Hampshire University is cutting tuition by 2/3:

https://www.unionleader.com/news/health/coronavirus/snhu-to-cut-tuition-from-31-000-to-10-000-revamp-on-campus-learning/article_03612259-97b8-5ff6-9e1c-134b8e8d375d.html

SNHU does have an athletic program - they are currently a non-football member of the Northeast 10.
    I can only assume they have beaucoup $$$ since they are constantly running 30 second spots in NYC media market.

Leave a comment:

• cwfenn
    replied
    Southern New Hampshire University is cutting tuition by 2/3:

https://www.unionleader.com/news/health/coronavirus/snhu-to-cut-tuition-from-31-000-to-10-000-revamp-on-campus-learning/article_03612259-97b8-5ff6-9e1c-134b8e8d375d.html

SNHU does have an athletic program - they are currently a non-football member of the Northeast 10.

Leave a comment:

• SW_Mustang
    replied
    Originally posted by NW Normal View Post
    Soils? I just hand dug a hole to set a new corner post in Mayberry, clay loam, a glacial till soil in Pawnee County, Nebraska. As an employee of the Natural Resources Conservation Service, I worked several Land Judging and Range Judging contests for high school Ag students in Southeast Nebraska. Soil Scientists are a peculiar breed!
    I judge people's lawns too.

That's probably why my neighbors don't invite me to their gatherings.

Leave a comment:

• NW Normal
    replied
    Soils? I just hand dug a hole to set a new corner post in Mayberry, clay loam, a glacial till soil in Pawnee County, Nebraska. As an employee of the Natural Resources Conservation Service, I worked several Land Judging and Range Judging contests for high school Ag students in Southeast Nebraska. Soil Scientists are a peculiar breed!

Leave a comment:

• catatonic
    replied
    Originally posted by laker View Post

When I was a junior the FFA regional soil judging contest was at the Lamberton station. We stopped at the Dairy Queen at Sanborn Corners (HWY 71 & 14) and had wild blackberry sundaes. Delicious. Anyway we qualified for state. The state contest was in Roseville. I couldn't figure out where the A layer ended and the B began, same with the B layer and the C layer. I just guessed. Our team was like second from the bottom. Turned out there was NO B layer! Odd place to have the contest, we didn't have any soil like that around us.

You were about Glencoe. With the formerly largest pea packing plant in the world there, along with corn packing, it would have been a good location.

1865- State legislature agreed that the land grant should be used for agriculture school in Glencoe, Minn.
    I did soils judging in high school as well. Our state competition was in Tucson at the University of Arizona . I did quite well computing the number of parts of soluble salt in soils but did a dreadful job of determining sand/silt/clay composition based on feeling various samples. I dint recall our exact finish but somewhere in the bottom half.

Leave a comment:

• SW_Mustang
    replied
    Apparently, a new college opened up in Sioux Falls recently, the University of South Dakota - Community College for Sioux Falls.

I'd been aware of the University Center in Sioux Falls. Essentially, it was a conglomerate of satellite campuses from USD, SDSU, and DSU in Sioux Falls that offered both Bachelor's and Master's degrees. The foundation of UCSF began in 1992, and it went through a few transformations. In 2009, they opened their own permanent campus that is comprised of three buildings, including a research facility. Enrollment began to decline, and after consultations and meetings with community leaders, they decided to reorganize into USD-SF. They opened last year.

The UCSF partnership is still in effect - they will still offer 4-year and Graduate degrees on campus. However, now they can also offer 2-year degrees on campus as well as things like certificates and job training. Southeast Technical Institute was also brought into the partnership as well.

It remains to be seen if USD-SF will fix the issues UCSF has been having, but this could be interesting. Hopefully they can survive COVID and keep on going.

There are two other University Centers in South Dakota, one in Rapid City (BHSU/USD) and one in Pierre (all six public universities + LATC and MTI).

It should be noted that USD-SF is the only community college in South Dakota. All other 2-year schools are either technical schools or tribal colleges. Kilian Community College operated in Sioux Falls between 1977 and 2015, however it was a private institution.

Leave a comment:

• SW_Mustang
    replied
    Originally posted by laker View Post

When I was a junior the FFA regional soil judging contest was at the Lamberton station. We stopped at the Dairy Queen at Sanborn Corners (HWY 71 & 14) and had wild blackberry sundaes. Delicious. Anyway we qualified for state. The state contest was in Roseville. I couldn't figure out where the A layer ended and the B began, same with the B layer and the C layer. I just guessed. Our team was like second from the bottom. Turned out there was NO B layer! Odd place to have the contest, we didn't have any soil like that around us.

You were about Glencoe. With the formerly largest pea packing plant in the world there, along with corn packing, it would have been a good location.

1865- State legislature agreed that the land grant should be used for agriculture school in Glencoe, Minn.
    The people in SWMN are kinda weird, so it's no surprise the soil is weird too! Maybe one causes the other. ;)

That's interesting about Glencoe. I was told that on a trip through there once about it. Imagine the first intercollegiate basketball game being played against Hamline... but in Glencoe? That's fun to think about. I also know the U operates a poultry lab in Willmar. It's marked like any other campus building which I always thought was neat.

SMSU's Social Sciences building is slated for demolition in the next few years, officially speaking. My thought was proposing to the administration to allow the University of Minnesota to use it, either as a satellite campus or for continuing agriculture. I'm not sure how that well that would go over, but at least the building wouldn't get torn down. The City of Marshall has since moved into the space though, so who knows what's going to happen with it now.

Leave a comment:

• laker
    replied
    Little League World Series cancelled for the first time.

https://www.espn.com/espn/story/_/id...st-coronavirus

Leave a comment:

Ad3

Collapse
Working...
X