Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

D2Football.com All-Decade Team

Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #31
    Originally posted by GrifFan View Post

    I saw that pushback. It's all very subjective. I think Bass has the strongest case, but also the strongest competition.
    I think so too. Bass great, but so was Zach Moore. Jordan also has a case.

    The thing I hated most about that conversation is having to talk negatively about the running back. From everyone I have talked to and from my own observations, people don't get much better than that kid.

    It's hard to argue with someone that thinks a program that won two playoff games in the decade deserved more players on the team than any other program. Don't get me wrong, it would be disingenuous to simply pick individuals as a ratio of program success. Players should make the team because of what they did as an individual. So theoretically, it's possible, but it either means the supporting cast is horrible or the coaching staff was bad.

    Comment


    • #32
      Originally posted by Brandon View Post

      When I saw Gardner play he was held to 24 yards on 14 carries...ha ha ha. Once, I saw Danny Woodhead held to 16 yards on 16 carries. I thought Jenkins was the most athletic corner I had seen in person watching Division II.

      I think we all fall for in performances against our team or in person. I would guess that the entire UNA team thought they played poorly that day. In fact, their quarterback came on the message board and said something to that effect.
      Small Sample Size Theater. A common affliction for NW fans who only see games their team plays in.

      Not sure that you have that affliction; more of a pot stirring thing?....

      Comment


      • #33
        Originally posted by Brandon View Post

        I think so too. Bass great, but so was Zach Moore. Jordan also has a case.

        The thing I hated most about that conversation is having to talk negatively about the running back. From everyone I have talked to and from my own observations, people don't get much better than that kid.

        It's hard to argue with someone that thinks a program that won two playoff games in the decade deserved more players on the team than any other program. Don't get me wrong, it would be disingenuous to simply pick individuals as a ratio of program success. Players should make the team because of what they did as an individual. So theoretically, it's possible, but it either means the supporting cast is horrible or the coaching staff was bad.
        You can't please everyone when you pick two teams and an honorable mention for a single year; picking two teams to cover a decade is even harder. Mike Hill is one of my favorite Griffons ever, but I don't know which RB you'd kick off the team to include him.

        Comment


        • #34
          Great list Brandon! The cool thing about these types of lists is the opinions and discussions brought forth by all. As a relative newcomer to this group (and as a supporter of UWF, also a relative newcomer to D2 football), it assists me with some research to learn more about D2 football and its history. Was there a list like this for 2000-2009 and/or 1990-1999, or even earlier? This would be cool to add to the conversations as we limp through the spring in anticipation of late summer camp and Fall 2020 kickoff (fingers crossed)!

          Comment


          • #35
            Originally posted by Runnin' Cat View Post

            Small Sample Size Theater. A common affliction for NW fans who only see games their team plays in.

            Not sure that you have that affliction; more of a pot stirring thing?....
            I was trying to point out that flaw in people's thought process.

            Comment


            • #36
              Originally posted by GrifFan View Post

              You can't please everyone when you pick two teams and an honorable mention for a single year; picking two teams to cover a decade is even harder. Mike Hill is one of my favorite Griffons ever, but I don't know which RB you'd kick off the team to include him.
              Terrell Watson, Jonas Randoph, Isaac Odim, Trent Cannon, Nate Gunn, etc. didn't make it either.

              I totally agree with your first point.

              Comment


              • #37
                Originally posted by UWFMubbish View Post
                Great list Brandon! The cool thing about these types of lists is the opinions and discussions brought forth by all. As a relative newcomer to this group (and as a supporter of UWF, also a relative newcomer to D2 football), it assists me with some research to learn more about D2 football and its history. Was there a list like this for 2000-2009 and/or 1990-1999, or even earlier? This would be cool to add to the conversations as we limp through the spring in anticipation of late summer camp and Fall 2020 kickoff (fingers crossed)!
                This website started before the 2000 season. We picked an all-decade team (2000-2009) for a magazine we published. I am unsure whether or not that should stand as our all-decade team for that decade or if we should do one specifically for the website. A 25 year team was released in 1998 but I don't know if it is floating around anymore.

                Comment


                • #38
                  Originally posted by Brandon View Post

                  I was trying to point out that flaw in people's thought process.
                  And I was backing you up

                  Comment


                  • #39
                    Originally posted by Runnin' Cat View Post

                    And I was backing you up
                    Yep!

                    Comment


                    • #40
                      Originally posted by Brandon View Post

                      Yep!
                      And I still think if we had Mike Reilly in 2009, CWU wins it all and then I could b!tch about not getting add'l Wildcats on the all decade team in that decade.....

                      Comment


                      • #41
                        Out of curiosity, what was CWU's overall record in 2000-2009?

                        Comment


                        • #42
                          Originally posted by Brandon View Post
                          Out of curiosity, what was CWU's overall record in 2000-2009?
                          79-34

                          That includes the transition to DII

                          Comment


                          • #43
                            Originally posted by canadarican View Post
                            I thought the list was pretty dang solid. Only 2 guys I maybe would've included instead based on guys I saw play, but was okay with guys that were chosen. And only 1 guy who I would have completely left off (Janoris Jenkins, who had 1 mediocre year at UNA despite playing competition he should have dominated). Gardner from Humboldt had a very good career but (and this is just my opinion) was not the best running back I saw CN play against.
                            Did you lift that wording from his 2012 NFL Draft profile on SB Nation? Lol. It's almost exact. Of course, he went on to be a Pro Bowler and the Saints are paying him over 8 million a year now.

                            https://www.bigblueview.com/2012/2/2...-north-alabama

                            At UNA, he was good on defense but shined especially on special teams. He was flat amazing on punt returns for the Lions and even on punt return coverage and blocking kicks.

                            Here's some highlights to remind yourself of his work that season. The 90-yard punt return for TD at West AL is at the 4:00 mark. It's pretty special.

                            Go GSC and Roar LIONS!!

                            Comment


                            • #44
                              Originally posted by UNALions View Post

                              Did you lift that wording from his 2012 NFL Draft profile on SB Nation? Lol. It's almost exact. Of course, he went on to be a Pro Bowler and the Saints are paying him over 8 million a year now.

                              https://www.bigblueview.com/2012/2/2...-north-alabama

                              At UNA, he was good on defense but shined especially on special teams. He was flat amazing on punt returns for the Lions and even on punt return coverage and blocking kicks.

                              Here's some highlights to remind yourself of his work that season. The 90-yard punt return for TD at West AL is at the 4:00 mark. It's pretty special.

                              I think the last punt was the highlight of the video (even though he didn’t score)....that was special.

                              Other than that, nothing stood out to me...especially the one where he was in punt coverage and the guy fair caught it. Weird highlight there. Nate Dreiling approves of his tackle stats though.

                              Comment


                              • #45
                                Thought JB would get a WR spot, but the guys who got them were equally worthy, and he got in for ST's.

                                RB is so hard to pick because some teams hide a great one with pass heavy O's. That kid UCM had a few years back was about as good as any I've seen in the MIAA in a long time, but he had one great year and didn't get the ball much at all the other 3.

                                Comment

                                Ad3

                                Collapse
                                Working...
                                X