X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• catatonic
    replied
    Originally posted by Wildcat Khan View Post

I can't find anything official other than the Big Sky canceling the season today. I assume it is because of that decision you are saying this?
    Last edited by catatonic; 08-07-2020, 04:15 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Wildcat Khan
    replied
    Originally posted by catatonic View Post
    Turn out the lights for the FCS playoffs.
    I can't find anything official other than the Big Sky canceling the season today. I assume it is because of that decision you are saying this?

Leave a comment:

• catatonic
    replied
    Turn out the lights for the FCS playoffs.

Leave a comment:

• Brandon
    replied
    Originally posted by Turbonium View Post

Yeah, I see nearly zero way that most every D2 school can find the financial means to cover the necessary covid testing costs. This on top of the other expenses required to keep everything disinfected.
    Tests alone could run north of $600,000.

Leave a comment:

• Wildcat Khan
    replied
    Originally posted by Turbonium View Post

Yeah, I see nearly zero way that most every D2 school can find the financial means to cover the necessary covid testing costs. This on top of the other expenses required to keep everything disinfected.
    I agree, especially for state schools with states already losing money with so many out of work already. Here in Washington for example, only half the ongoing road projects are being worked on which has caused delays in road construction through the busiest time of year for road construction.

Leave a comment:

• Wildcat Khan
    replied
    Originally posted by wscsuperfan View Post
    Preseason Coaches Poll is out for FBS

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...ng/5525792002/

1. Clemson (38)
    2. Ohio State (17)
    3. Alabama (4)
    4. Georgia
    5. LSU (6)
    6. Oklahoma
    7. Penn State
    8. Florida
    9. Oregon
    10. Notre Dame
    11. Auburn
    12. Wisconsin
    13. Texas A&M
    14. Texas
    15. Michigan
    16. Oklahoma State
    17. USC
    18. Minnesota
    19. North Carolina
    20. Utah
    21. Central Florida
    22. Cincinnati
    23. Iowa
    24. Virginia Tech
    25. Iowa State

Others Receiving Votes
    Tennessee, Boise State, Arizona State, Kentucky, Memphis, Baylor, Washington, Louisville, Miami (FL), Appalachian State, Navy, Virginia, Air Force, Mississippi State, TCU, Washington State, Tulane, California, Louisiana-Lafayette, Southern Methodist, Nebraska, Stanford, Pittsburgh, Kansas State, Indiana, Duke
    With the SILO play, it almost guarantees no Group of 5 team this year if the season goes off with only UCF in the initial rankings. BSU even if they go undefeated for example would have no quality wins according to most people as an example.

Leave a comment:

• Turbonium
    replied
    Originally posted by Brandon View Post
    The financial challenges:

Institutions - Covid Testing

NCAA - Paying for playoffs after reduced revenues

Leave a comment:

• wscsuperfan
    replied
    Preseason Coaches Poll is out for FBS

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...ng/5525792002/

1. Clemson (38)
    2. Ohio State (17)
    3. Alabama (4)
    4. Georgia
    5. LSU (6)
    6. Oklahoma
    7. Penn State
    8. Florida
    9. Oregon
    10. Notre Dame
    11. Auburn
    12. Wisconsin
    13. Texas A&M
    14. Texas
    15. Michigan
    16. Oklahoma State
    17. USC
    18. Minnesota
    19. North Carolina
    20. Utah
    21. Central Florida
    22. Cincinnati
    23. Iowa
    24. Virginia Tech
    25. Iowa State

Others Receiving Votes
    Tennessee, Boise State, Arizona State, Kentucky, Memphis, Baylor, Washington, Louisville, Miami (FL), Appalachian State, Navy, Virginia, Air Force, Mississippi State, TCU, Washington State, Tulane, California, Louisiana-Lafayette, Southern Methodist, Nebraska, Stanford, Pittsburgh, Kansas State, Indiana, Duke

Leave a comment:

• ccmoney8
    replied
    Originally posted by Brandon View Post

And on top of all that, the NCAA is requiring every school that plays to cover COVID-19 medical expenses. So they either have to take out an insurance policy for every athlete, or pay out of pocket for anyone who gets sick to go to the doctor.

Leave a comment:

• Brandon
    replied

Leave a comment:

• ccmoney8
    replied
    Originally posted by BeachinLaker View Post
    With there now being nothing to play for, I can't see any path forward that includes a Division II football season for any conference. The NCAA clearly sees it as being too big of a risk to play a playoff/championship. The risk is equally as high for regular season games. I see no point in wasting players' eligibility on a season that has no end-goal and will be full of potential positive cases and quarantines.
    I'm not sure COVID risk is the main reason they cancelled, if you read the wording of the statement. It cites "operational, logistical and financial challenges presented by the COVID-19 pandemic" but never mentions risk of infection as the reason for cancelling. They also mentioned 11 of 23 conferences aren't playing. I interpreted that as saying they couldn't have championships in the fall without sacrificing championship integrity, since half the conferences won't participate, and that it just isn't feasible logistically and financially to try and move them to the spring and keep them inclusive of all conferences.

Leave a comment:

• Doomsday Defense
    replied
    I agree BeachinLaker
    Why not have everyone in D2 regroup---plan spring seasons with championships and let's move forward. It would be meaningless to play 5-8 games this fall and waste a year of eligibility.
    I don't have much faith in the NCAA in general to see the common sense in things and especially in D2 and D3---they are only concerned about the money grab in D1.

Leave a comment:

• BeachinLaker
    replied
    With there now being nothing to play for, I can't see any path forward that includes a Division II football season for any conference. The NCAA clearly sees it as being too big of a risk to play a playoff/championship. The risk is equally as high for regular season games. I see no point in wasting players' eligibility on a season that has no end-goal and will be full of potential positive cases and quarantines.

Leave a comment:

• wscsuperfan
    replied
    Originally posted by Packfootball View Post
    RMAC will make an announcement today on fall sports. The presidents are meeting to discuss the NCAA D2 decision.
    Same thing going on the NSIC today. Will decide to go ahead and have football (and other sports) on their own this fall, in the spring, split seasons or have nothing.

Leave a comment:

• WarriorVoice
    replied
    The rise of E-Sports seems to be perfectly timed for a pandemic...

Leave a comment:

Ad3

Collapse
Working...
X